Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Default Tipping for Camp Carnival

We are going to be going on a cruise with our 2 and 4 year old daughters. I was wondering if someone could suggest how much to tip counselors at Camp Carnival. We are leaving on 9/20/2002 for a weekend cruise to the Bahamas on the Carnival Fascination. Can anyone recommend some sites to see that the kids will like in Nassau?

Thanks.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2002, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Tipping for Camp Carnival

Your kids can hug and feed the dolphins at Dolphin Encounters in Nassau.
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Tipping for Camp Carnival

I'm the family cruise editor here. Tipping youth counselors is one of those "grey" areas where there are no real guidelines. I always tip them because I feel that their work is even more important than those who make your bed, clean your bathroom or serve your food. I generally give $50 to $75 at the end of the cruise to the counselors who pool all their tips.
Your kids should like Camp Carnival -- make sure you do some of the family activities which are a lot of fun for adults and kids. Don't go on any bus/historical tours with the kids in Nassau -- they'll be bored. Either go to the Dolphin Encounter that Gary suggested or go on one of the ship's shore excursions to Blue Lagoon for swimming.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old August 5th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Tipping for Camp Carnival

Thank you for your responses. The Blue Lagoon sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, we could not do the Dolphin encounter yet. My older one could go in with the dolphins, but my 2 and 1/2 year old is not old enough. She would be very upset not to join her sister. Luckily, we live in Ft. Lauderdale, so when the little one is older we could always drive down to the keys for the dolphin encounter.

Thank you for the information about tipping for Camp Carnival. Would you tip $50 - $75 for a weekend cruise?

Judy
Old August 6th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tipping for Camp Carnival

Judy:
Actually I tip $50 to $75 for a seven day cruise so less would be appropriate for a weekend cruise. Obviously, it's your decision as to how much...
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old August 10th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Passenger

Default phone cards

I read somewhere that they give phone cards to the camp staff. This way they can call their loved ones. I would suggest making sure that the cards work for international calls and not just for the states. I thought this was a really good idea. I think you can buy calling cards in bulk at Sam's or BJ's. I think it is really important to take care of the camp staff! You could also start out by giving them something too, this way it should help insure your kids are special to the staff right off the bat. Simple things like candy bars or things they don't spend their hard earnned $ on for themselves.