Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Sonia

Default Cruising with 19 month old.

We are planning to go for the Carribean cruise this month with our 19 month old. Does anybody have any prior experience travelling with an infant of this age on the Carnival Pride? We are frist time cruisers with absolutely no idea about what to expect. Please, any suggestion or advice?
Thanx for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Cruising with 19 month old.

Hi Sonia,
You may get some hints in the article for traveling with a baby:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ing-babies.cfm

I hope you all enjoy the cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Sonia

Default Re: Re: Cruising with 19 month old.

Thanx for the article. After going through a lot of questions in the discussin forum, it seems that there will be hardly anything for an infant to do on the ship. If they are not allowed in the pools and no group babysitting, would there atleast be a playplace for infants?
Old August 13th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruising with 19 month old.

Sonia:
I'm the family cruise editor here and I'm the one who wrote the article on cruising with babies. My 10 month old has been on two cruises already and we'd do it again with him.
Unfortunately, Carnival doesn't allow diapers even in the splash pools. However, most of the newer Carnival ships have a small climbing apparatus on deck somewhere. Also, Carnival does have group babysitting for those under two years in the morning of port days and also later at night on most days. They pull out cribs in the kids' youth during those times and they do change diapers. The evening hours, however, start pretty late -- my kids would be asleep by then so your best bet would be to take advantage of the hours while in port. Also, you should try to find beaches in port to take your little one. Ask the shore excursions desk for beaches that you can get to by taxi and where you can rent an umbrella, etc.
I hope this helps!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old August 13th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Admiral

I've cruised with both of my children when they were around your son's age. Don't go expecting a horrible time, (although don't plan for perfect, because it won't be either.) Do yourself a favor and get a diaperless swimsuit for your child. There are ones for boys and girls and are available in department stores. We were on the Ecstasy with my oldest at around that age and the Paradise with my youngest at that age and they had no problems getting into the kids pool. We had a fabulous time hanging out on the kids deck with our cameras and video camera. If the swimsuits are no longer available being out of season, try online. (macys.com, sears.com, jcpenny.com, filenes.com, lordandtaylors.com, landsend.com, and many others.) Do a search for children's swimwear and you can probably get a ton of sites. In the store in season, they'll run you about $20. The swimsuit has a built in plastic diaper to catch any accidents before they're floating in the pool.

You will be running all over the ship with your child. Everything will be new, and he'll be excited with things you would give a passing glance to. You will also have the beaches on the ports to enjoy with him.

The group babysitting will probably start at 10. We had no problem sending Tommy (our oldest) to it on the Ecstasy. He enjoyed it, and would fall asleep in a Little Tykes playhouse that he loved to go in and out of. We enjoyed nice evenings. On the Paradise, he stayed in one night, didn't appreciate having to take his shoes off to get in the play area, and refused to go into the room again, so we were totally out of luck on that cruise. My youngest who was your son's age, would go where his brother was, so we had both kids from that night on, but still managed a decent time, taking turns watching the kids and doing things on our own on deck.

Go, expect to have a good time, but don't expect it to be the same vacation it would be if it was just you and your husband. So long as your expectations are realistic, and you're not expecting a *perfect* trip, you'll have fun and great memories that will last a lifetime.

Cindy
Old August 15th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to ddjwms
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cruising with 19 month old.

I just wrote a message about our experience on the Legend of the Sea with our grandchildren who included two toddlers, a little older than yours, but in the same generally category--not potty trained or old enough for kids clubs. But they both really enjoyed the trip, and we found it much better than we expected. As someone said, it's not like traveling just as a couple, but your toddler will probably enjoy having mom and dad as captive company for the whole trip--lots of time and attention that they might not usually get more than makes up for them not being able to use the kid facilities.

Our toddlers slept very well--the rocking of the ship seemed a great soporific for them. Sometimes we even took them to dinner or shows asleep. I think that you will find it a great vacation for all of you--just having to unpack and pack all the baby paraphrenalia once instead of having to move it day after day like on a land trip. But do be sure and bring a stroller of some type. It was the biggest mistake we made that we didn't, but fortunately we were able to remedy it at a friendly Walmart in port...

Old September 19th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Dayna

Default Re: Re: Cruising with 19 month old.

Thank you so much for the advice about the swimsuit with built in diaper. I have been looking for something to cheer me up about the whole, no swim diaper in the pool thing. You have made my day.
Dayna
Old February 18th, 2003, 09:56 AM
lisa9321

I am planning a cruise this month with my 17 month old daughter , on Cranival or Norwegian. I am rerally concerned about the pool thing. How did your cruise go? Any helpful hints would be great. Thanks- Lisa
Old February 18th, 2003, 12:13 PM
shari3

I just returned from The Adventurer of The seas with my toddler. I purchased a swim diaper at e-swimmers.com before I went because of the warnings I read about. Not once was it an issue on the ship, I'm just glad I came prepared in case there was a problem. The rest of the vacation was wonderful. Not once did she miss out because she was too young for the kids program. She loved the pools, beaches, aquariums, etc. Have a great cruise!
Old February 19th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Mr Veendam

Hi we had our 2 boy"s 10 & 12 on there first cruise when they were 8 & 19 month"s old . It"s take some work . But if we stayed home we would have had the same work to do . It just takes some good planing . now my boys have been on 19 cruises . And we will be on the Zuiderdam in august . They kinda grew up on cruises .I still think cruising is one of the best family Vacating"s .
Mr Veendam