Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Default Century and kids

Hi, we are probably going on the Celebrity Century in January. How is this ship for kids?
Any children's pool? The travel agent said yes, but I can't find it on the deck plans. How is the Children's program? Anything else outside of the children's program onboard that could interest them, esp if there is no kiddie pool. How deep is the shallow end of the main pool? 3 or 4 feet? We got a good deal on this cruise, but I don't want all of us to end up miserable for the sake of a few dollars.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Century and kids

Cindy:
I'm the family cruise editor here. I can ask my contacts at Celebrity about the pool and any video arcade facilities. Note that Celebrity does NOT have a year round kids' program so unless you're going over New Year's or perhaps Martin Luther King's birthday, there won't be any kid activities. Why don't you email me your sailing date and your kids' ages before I contact Celebrity. I'll await your reply.
Best,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old September 15th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Pat Schaffhauser

Default Re: Century and kids

Hi Cindy:

We cruised with our 6-year old last May and he asked everyday when we are going back. I didn't see any kids pool on board but one of the pools is very shallow and was appropriate for our son. Also, the kids spent a great deal of time in and out of the four hot tubs next to the pool. The hot tubs aren't very hot so there was no danger to them. They had scavenger hunts, made plays, played board games, had birthday parties and did crafts. The kids programs were held in various rooms on ship so the kids were never bored. The ratio was 6-8 children with each counselor. Each counselor was fantastic! Never impatient or cross even at midnight!

We originally took our son to the Fun Factory for one hour as we are very cautious parents and when we returned he did not want to leave. The activities have a Disney theme (The director, Cameron was from Disney) and varied every day. Our son who is used to a great number of activities was never board- he couldn't wait to get to the Fun Factory to see his friends every time it was open.

The kids program began at 9 am and went to Noon and then resumed at 2:00 pm until 9 PM. The gap in the middle the day caused some concern as we planned to snorkle without him. After calling Celebrity we ended up booking Reed on the snorkeling tour with us and he had a blast. Come to find out if you need to have your children stay in the Fun Factory from 12- 2 you can for a $6 per hour fee. Also there are two nights where they have a sleepover and the kids stay in the Fun Factory until midnight for free. Our son could not wait for his sleepover!

I can't say enough good things about the kids program on the Century. We were originally going to go Disney but the value on Century was so good we decided to go with them instead and we were so pleased we did! I can't imagine the kid's program on Disney could possible be better than what we experienced. If you have any other questions please contact met at SGAATL@aol.com.

Have Fun! I wish we were going
Old September 20th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Kristi

Default Re: Re: Century and kids

I was looking at booking on the Century for Feb 9th, 2003. I'm glad to know that I need to ask in advance if they have kids programs. Thanks
Old September 24th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Luisa

Dear Cindy:
I asked my contacts at Celebrity whether there will be a youth program in January and they said that there won't be. It is generally offered all summer and during Thanksgiving, Christmas, President's week, and spring/Easter break.
I would not, therefore, recommend booking the cruise unless there is a youth program.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old October 4th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Century and kids

Thank you for your replies. I had forgotten reading that Celebrity doesn't have a year round kids program. We rebooked to the Golden Princess for the same dates. We LOVED the Grand so much, we're looking forward to her sister. Sorry its taken me so long to reply. I've been very busy and haven't felt the greatest.

Thank you again for your help!

Cindy
Old October 7th, 2002, 01:05 PM
MizSuzannah

Hi there. My husband and I sailed on the Century last Jan. and did not take our kids....we were alone....I noticed two kids the entire cruise...I felt sorry for them. They were miserable....they were doing homework at the pool (there is no seperate kids pool and the pool is a normal ship size pool with a deep end.) ...one of the boys was struggling with an essay he had to write which his mother demanded was "due" at dinner. As a classical literature major, I felt qualified to help out so I took him down to the library and we sat and I helped form an outline and go over the points he wanted to make. He wrote his essay in less than an hour but then he couldn't figure out what he was going to do the rest of the day. I helped him pick out some books from the library that he might enjoy and then I took him upstairs for icecream....I felt sorry for this kid...he was a nice boy. The staff did everything they could for these kids and they were nice, polite young boys....but they were BOYS....they were bored stiff and they were miserable...My advice: If you're looking for a snappy bargain and you want a kids program: Try RCI Voyager or Explorer....if money is the issue: SS Norway (NCL) is always a bargain for the price....Good luck....let us know what happens.