Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Dayna

Default no pools for non potty trained. NO SWIM DIAPERS

I just heard that the cruise industry is not allowing swim diapers or non potty trained children into the pools. We are booked on the Magic for 2/22/03. My daughter will be turning 2 years old during our cruise. I am not sure if I can get her potty trained by then. I also Have a 4 year old. They both love the pool, how can I let one go in and not the other. I am very upset and am hoping this is not true. Please help.
Dayna
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Luisa

Default Re: no pools for non potty trained. NO SWIM DIAPERS

Dear Dayna:
We were on the Magic this spring and there weren't any signs saying that non-potty trained kids aren't allowed in pools. In fact, my then seven month old did wade in the splash pool with his swim diaper on. I think because of the predominance of very young ones on Disney, they don't make an issue of it.
However, many other cruise lines do post signs at the splash pools saying that non-potty trained kids can't use the pools. Often, however, there aren't any personnel standing at the pool checking so.... Some readers here recently said that found bathing suits with built in diapers and that worked well. I usually put a swim diaper on my little one with a bathing suit over it.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old September 19th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Dayna

Default Re: Re: no pools for non potty trained. NO SWIM DIAPERS

Thanks Luisa for your advice, I read some older boards and saw that some people found bathing suits with built in diapers. I was surfing the web and actually found a great website with a nice variety of these types of suits. eswimmers.com.
Also, did some research and found that DCL is now changing its policy as well. It comes from the USPHS that states non potty trained kids are not allowed inthe pool and also no swim diapers. I will be calling DCL myself to check for sure. I am hoping it's not true but I think it is. I am going to have to start trying to train her and see what happens. I won't let it ruin my cruise. Thanks again.
Dayna
Old September 26th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Therese

Default Re: Re: Re: no pools for non potty trained. NO SWIM DIAPERS

our local swimming pool has the same policy, yet they still have baby swimming classes for kids from about 12 weeks old.

We started taking our son as an infant (he was swimming really well by the age of 3). he just wore "normal" bathers.

Apparently it has something to do with the way bacteria builds up on the diapers. If a kid pees in the pool the system can supposedly handle it, so they say. They also claim that even a baby, if well, wont poop without a diaper when in the pool.

Therese
Old September 30th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Passenger

We were on RCCL this summer with our two year old - wore swimsuit with built in diaper - no questions were asked and she was in the pool every day for a couple of hours (like Therese's child, our daughter has been in the pool since 6 weeks). Swim diapers might call attention to your child - but then, I might say, if questioned, that my child is "potty trained" but I put on the diaper just in case of an accident.
Old September 30th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Luisa

Default FOR Fred C re built in diapers

Dear Fred:
I remember that recently you wrote which on line catalogue one can find swimsuits with built in diapers, but I don't remember the site. Would you mind letting us all know where to find these special swimsuits?
Thanks,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old October 1st, 2002, 11:02 AM
Passenger

The web site is eswimmers.com (which someone else had recommended so I can't take credit); also the chain of Chocolate Soup stores which have about 20 locations around the country
Old October 4th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Also check out dept stores in season for swimsuits with built in diapers. That's where I've gotten all of mine. You'll know them when you feel a plastic lining down there. Practically all infant swimwear in dept stores are with built in diapers. Problem is when you get into toddler sizes.......

For us, with that, we put on regular swimsuits and chanced it. We had no issues. Ships we were on were from Carnival and Princess. I know from experience with our personal backyard kiddie pool that if a child poops in a regular swimsuit, unless its diarhea, it stays in the suit in a ball. Just put on a regular swimsuit, and IF a visibile accident would happen and you would be questioned, just say something like "he's been trained for weeks, I'm surprised he had an accident like this!"

Cindy
Old October 17th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Newmom

Many public pools are not allowing nonpottty trained children into the pool. even with swim diapers and plastic pants. The reason is because of sanitation issues - e-coli etc. -
Why does everyone feel that they can subject other people to their children's possible poop? Swimmers and bathing suits with diapers do not keep the poop from being exposed to the water- it does touch the water so to speak - even if it doesn't fall out.

I have a young one - until she's potty trained she will not be in a public pool!
Old October 26th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

The issue is one of safety to ALL other swimmers. I believe I was told something at my local pool about the dangers or e-coli etc.

Best of luck.
Old October 31st, 2003, 12:59 PM
KathyW

Hope I don't offend anyone here, but I just wanted to add that even if there aren't babies in the pool, you are still exposed to the risks of e-coli or any other disease. How do you know the other people in the pool did a perfect job of wiping last time they had a bm? What about those adults who pee in the pool or other secretions that you can't really see very well? I think that for babies, cloth swim diapers with snug fitting waterproof pants work extremely well. I would have no problem sitting in a pool with a bunch of babies in efficient swim diapers. However, the sight of some adults in pools have been enough to scare me away!
Old November 1st, 2003, 02:55 AM
Yeoman

I agree with Kathy, besides chlorine kills germs doesn't it?
I would get in a pool with a baby, have for many years at public pools and nothing has ever happened to me, so you know I think some people worry about the sky falling.
Old November 11th, 2003, 09:19 AM
dayna

This post is from last year when we were going on Disney. We ended up on a land and sea trip with the Wonder being our ship. Luckily I got my daughter daytime potty trained before our trip, but she is still tiny and did not look old enough to be potty trained. No one questioned whether she was or wasn't. There were also alot of little ones in the pool with their parents. The signs are posted but no one said a thing. Good luck to all. I know this a touchy subject for all. The cruise lines, if they enforce this rule are just going by a federal safety guideline.

Dayna
Old November 12th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Admiral

i AM guessing on this one, but perhaps since most ships pools are saltwater and non-clorinated (Princess being the exception) its simply a health issue. Haven't seen any "Potty Police" . I think the bathing suits with built-in diapers are the way to go.