CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   what do young children wear to dinner? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/276725-what-do-young-children-wear-dinner.html)

brisbee October 24th, 2002 06:06 PM

what do young children wear to dinner?

My partner and I are taking our first cruise and bringing along our two boys, ages 3 years and 7 months. We are going on the Voyager of the Seas. Anyway, one of my questions is what is appropriate for the children to wear to the dining room? We will be skipping the two formal nights but will probably eat there on the semi-formal and casual nights. Any insight? Also, when they assign us to a table with other folks, will the other people be horrified to be sitting with kids (I probably would be if I had paid a princely sum and now got to sit next to a 3 years old every night). How does that work?
Thank you for any thoughts.

Lisa

Donna October 24th, 2002 06:47 PM

Re: what do young children wear to dinner?

Hi Lisa,
You can dress the kids in some nice clothes, but nothing really fancy, especially if you are not going to the formal nights. You may want to re-think about going to the dinning room for the formal nights, they are really special and usually a good menu to choose from, even then you can dress the old 3yr old in a pair of nice pants and a shirt, will be fine.

In most cases you will be sat with another family with kids, although we cruised with our kids and one time we were at a table with 3 other couples, no kids. They said they didn't mind and thank goodness my 2 did behave and were not a problem, but it would of been nice all around if there were some other kids at the table. Hopefully you will have another family eating with you and the kids can meet the others.

Have Fun!

Cindy October 25th, 2002 11:47 AM

Re: what do young children wear to dinner?

Voyager will be PACKED with kids. We sailed EOS this spring, NOT spring break, so we didn't think there would be that many. When we were boarding, it seemed every other couple boarding was boarding with at least 1 kid. For your 3 yo, get the early seating, waiters will bring out the children's items first. By 7 when the kids program opens, your 3yo will be done and one of you can take him or her up to the kids room. I agree with the above poster not to skip the formal nights, they're fun, and if you think the dining room will be kid free, think again! BTW, on the formal nights plus 1 other, the kids can eat a supervised dinner at Johnny Rockets, just sign your child up early to guarantee a spot. Enjoy your cruise! I know that Voyager is sister to Explorer, so first hand I can tell you the kids programs, facilities, and even decorations that will interest kids, will help make this a terrific family vacation. Our sons are looking forward to the next cruise. (They're now 5 1/2 and 4)

Cindy

Luisa October 28th, 2002 09:41 AM

Re: Re: what do young children wear to dinner?

I'm the family cruise editor here. I think what the others wrote is all very good advice. We were on Adventure of the Seas in June with our 8 year old and 7 month old baby. We were seated at a table with other older couples (no kids) and even though they said they didn't mind, I went to the matre d right away and asked for a table for four. The next night they were able to accommodate us at our own table for the rest of the cruise. I figured I'd feel less concerned if I knew that I wasn't bothering anyone else if the baby fussed.
Have you read my article on this section of Adventure of the Seas? You should! (I think the title is "A Family Adventure".) My daughter has been on 12 cruises and she deemed the Adventure's youth program the best!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey GAynor