Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Default Western Caribbean with 21 month old. Which trips are okay?

Hi we are traveling on the NCL Dream on Nov. 17 (just found this site). Obviously we should not take her on an all day trip. We cruised for the first time in Oct. on RCCL 4 day out of Seattle. We did a 3 1/2 hour bus tour of Vancouver with her and she was fine. We also spent the day in Victoria with her in her stroller and except for a meltdown before her nap she was okay.

We are visiting, Gerogetown Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Key West. I'm most concerned with Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also is the 2 yo rule strictly inforced on NCL Kid's program?

Thanks,

Rose
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Mikey Sr.

Default Re: Western Caribbean with 21 month old. Which trips are ok

I have taken my two boys (ages 4 and 2 ) on the Grand Princess. They loved the turtle farm on Grand Cayman. Key west is great for looking though the shops. Not much for kids. Mexico has some great beaches for the kids to play on. Playa del Carmen was very nice. Please watch your kids when in Mexico. One SOB tried to lure my son in one shop to get us in to buy their merchandise. I was shocked. We left the shop area and went back on the ship.
Old November 14th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Western Caribbean with 21 month old. Which trips ar

Thanks for the info! We will check out the turtle farm. She loves animals. And we will hang on tight in Mexico. I appreciate the warning!

Happy cruising,

Rose
Old November 15th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Western Caribbean with 21 month old. Which trips are ok

I'm the family cruise editor here. If you look on this family section of this site, there's an article listed that I wrote that may be helpful: Taking the Kids Ashore. At the end I make suggestions of things to do with kids in Key West and Grand Cayman which are included in your itinerary.
My suggestion for Playa Maya and Roatan is to head for a beach. Ask the shore excursions desk to suggest a safe one with bathroom facilities that you can get to by taxi. Kids love beaches and I'm sure there are some nice ones at both spots. I haven't called at those two ports since they are newer additions to the traditional Western Caribbean itineraries so I'd love to hear from you upon your return about what you thought of them.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old November 15th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Passenger

Hi -We are taking our 16 month old on a RCI Western Carribean cruise the same week you are going.

We have booked a shore trip in Belize - the 4 hour Mayna Ruins at Altan Ha trip. We really wanted to do an 8 hr ruins tour- but this was far too long for the little one! I think she will be fine on the 4 hr one - about an hour each way on the bus. We are bringing the backpack my husband carries her in to walk around the ruins - she does really well in that.
We are planning on just going to the beach in Cozumel.
Old November 15th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Forgot to add - we spent a couple of weeks in Roatan a few years ago - and LOVED it - it is aboslute paradise - very unspoiled like some of the busy Carribean spots.
Would suggest you just go to the West End - you can snorkle right off the beach, maybe you could alternate and the other person could chase the little one!
Old November 15th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Western Caribbean with 21 month old. Which trip

Thanks for the tips! Have fun with your little one too!

Rose