Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2003, 04:57 PM
Passenger

Default Formal Night wear for pre-teens??

The subject of appropriate attire on formal and other nights has gotten a LOT of attention lately, but I've found nothing on what's acceptable or appropriate for the kids.

We are cruising with our 10 and 11 year old daughters in March on RCI. Can anyone advise me as to what is appropriate for the girls to wear on formal night? I just can't fathom going out and buying them prom-type dresses that they'll grow out of before they ever have a chance to wear them again.

Has anybody out there cruised with pre-teens and can advise me as to what they've worn for formal nights?

Also, I just picked up some cute skorts and matching shirts for them for causal nights. Is this okay or not dressy enough?

I've cruised twice before with just my husband and never paid attention to what the kids wore.

HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2003, 12:02 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Formal Night wear for pre-teens??

I had the same question about our upcoming Costa cruise. I called Costa, and they said that formal did not apply to the children, but they should dress nicely. I don't know about RCL, but I'm sure a call to them would get you the answer. It saved me having to go out and buy my 9 year old a suit.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:19 AM
Passenger

I had the same problem---I decided to have my 11 yr old daughter will wear a dress that she would wear to a music/rectial program and for my son, a nice pair of dockers, long sleeve shirt and tie. This is as formal as they are going to dress, they are vacation too and one formal night is all that I going to require them to attend unless they want to do the second formal night----I like your idea about skorts for your daughters for the casual nights---Are these acceptable for the young girls? and are dress shorts acceptable for boys on casual nights in the dining room?
Old February 2nd, 2003, 02:26 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Formal Night wear for pre-teens??

Hi. I'm the family cruise editor here. After 12 cruises with my daughter (9 years old) we rarely dress her in really fancy clothes on formal night. The only time we did was when she was little and loved to get dressed up! Now she wears a casual dress on formal night and skorts or capris to dinner on informal nights. The only problem with boys wearing shorts to dinner is that most lines say that shorts are not accepted in the dining room for dinner...
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old February 2nd, 2003, 03:22 PM
ene

What you have in their suitcases for casual evenings are perfect.
On the formal nights, a dress. Young ladies do not require gowns of any type!

If the family celebrates religous holidays, then that type of occasion dress is perfect.

If interested, young gentlemen do wear little sport jackets on Formal night. They seem to enjoy the attention as much as the young ladies!

Plus they all look so adorabl
Old February 3rd, 2003, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Formal Night wear for pre-teens??

you do not have to go out and buy your daughter any type of "prom" dress or anything like that. A nice dress will be fine,(Easter dress) with a nice pair of dress shoes. As for your boys, don't go out any buy them a suit, Dockers a nice shirt & tie with dress shoes - no sneakers, if you want to get them a jacket that's optional. For casual nights for the boys - Cargo pants and a polo or jersey (sneakers are okay)- shorts aren't usually allowed in the traditional dining rooms. The skorts will be fine for your daughter. Another option that might be cheaper for the boys is to rent a tux for the cruise - they run around $85.00 for both nights- think about that - that's cheaper than a pair of dress shoes and a shirt - that he will outgrow in 6 months. We are seriously considering this option for our next cruise(taking our son)
Old February 20th, 2003, 07:13 PM
stan

Default Re: Re: Re: Formal Night wear for pre-teens??

Like the other posters said, the boys are fine in khaki trousers, shirt and tie. Our daughter wore rayon skirts and simple tops. Knee length "flouncy" cute number with a solid color tee was just fine. She also brought along a long (midi) lenght black velveteen skirt and white satin "camp shirt". Almost like an outfit she would wear in a Christmas concert. As for shoes, as black sandal went with everything. When I know I am going on a cruise, I look for off season clearance items that fit in this catagory...We cruise Celebrity Lines which is I think dressier than say Carnival, and the children were fine. I think their fabulous behavior was far more impressive than if they were in full evening attire or not!
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Formal Night wear for pre-teens??

Our 15-year-old son and 6-year-old (going on 16) daughter are travelling with us on the Costa Atlantica, leaving March 30th. My son is a young man now, and I feel he should be dressed appropriately on the designated nights. There are always the buffets if one chooses to stay casual. We purchased him a black suit for the cruise; however, if I had gotten my cruise documents sooner, I think I would have opted to rent the tux. It really would have been much more cost-effective. As for my daughter . . . She is REALLY looking forward to those formal nights, and I got some great deals at the only store she'll wear clothes from (Limited Too!). I think dressing up is part of the fun really. Anyway, hope you have a terrific time, and I'm sure you will no matter what you decide regarding cruisewear. Bon voyage!
Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:49 AM
Doug Johnson

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Formal Night wear for pre-teens??

Sailing April 11th with our 4 children on Legend. I enjoy wearing a tux and found a black suite and tux shirt and tie for my 6 year old son. We spent about $40 for it at our local Burlington Coat Factory here in Salt Lake. They have items for both men and younger teens and kids - and everything at a big discount!

He can wear the suit on Sundays when we return back home. It has been fun shopping with my 3 daughters for their formal wear. We have let them each pick out a nice new dress. At ages 14, 12 and 11, they are very excited to be able to dress up.

First time we have taken the kids and I can't wait to spend 8 days in the exotic western carribbean.

Doug