Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2003, 07:05 PM
Beginner

Default Bermuda with kids?

I am thinking of taking a cruise from NY to Bermuda on May 24th or 25th with our two sons ages 5 and 9. Which ship would be the most fun for them and offers the most childrens activities? Besides the beach what other things can we do with them while we are there?
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2003, 03:17 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Bermuda with kids?

Bermuda is a great place to cruise for kids. We took my daughter when she was three years old and it was lovely. Most of the lines have their older ships cruising to Bermuda that don't have huge youth rooms, etc. like the new ships. However, the youth counselors will all be good I'm sure.
My daughter is nine years old and has been on 12 cruises -- she's a big fan of Royal Caribbean's youth program. There's LOTS to do all day and night long! Your other choices for Bermuda from New York are Celebrity (make sure their youth program will be operating in May), and Princess Cruises. While Princess has a smaller ship in the market, it is generally a good youth program and premium product like Celebrity.
Let me know which you choose. I can then give you shore excursion suggestions.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Edito
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Passenger

The biggest challenge in Bermuda, beside the high price tag for everything, is getting around. The bus system is excellent and taxis are abundant but you cannot rent a car and your only other alternative is to rent two scooters for the 4 of you. The kids will love that by the way.

We took our 8 year old sun to snorkel for an afternoon at the Dockyards. There's a bit to do there - museum, old pub-like restaurants, flea market and snorkeling. There is also a gorgeous aquarium in Bermuda. The biggest draw is the beach. Not much night life for kids I'm afraid.
Old March 5th, 2003, 07:14 PM
tek

Default Re: Re: Bermuda with kids?

Husband and I with our 6 year old and 11 year old are going to Bermuda in August on the Carnival Pride. This will be our first cruise. The kids program looks pretty cool, but the only drawback is that we will be docked at Kings Wharf the whole time..... No port changes. We will be getting the 3 day transportation pass and take the buses and ferry system to Hamilton and or beaches. Can't wait!
Old March 6th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Bermuda with kids?

Dear tek:
Just a suggestion...yes being at Kings' Wharf is slightly more inconvenient than changing ports during the cruise. When we went to Bermuda, we took a ferry from one of the other ports (Hamilton or St. George's) to King's Wharf, which was fast and fun. The bus we took back too forever...small roads. Thus I suggest you stick to ferries when possible.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old March 12th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Admiral

We sailed to Bermuda on Zenith and every day picked up the childrens program to bring home to show our daughter (so she will cruise with our grandchildren).
The daily program was so good for kids that I wanted to go.
Beaches in St Georges like Tobacco Bay, St Catherines Beach and Achilles bay are kid heaven As are things like the glass bottom boat trip.
In the Hamilton area you have the Aquarium, great snorkel trips like the one run by Jessie James Tours and , beaches like Horseshoe Bay . If you are lucky and are in Hamilton on Wednesday nights there is a huge festival and street fair. Take a ferry to
the dockyards. There is a Dolphin Encounter there and a snorkel park as well as shops , forts boats and "stuff" kids might like. The might enjoy a trip to Crystal Cave (you can take a bus). If they are not afraid of heights , you can sometimes climb to the tower of the cathedral in Hamilton. Inquire in the book shop. The climb is fun, on winding twisty (but quite safe) stairs and the views are extraordinary.
Ihope you go, and have a wonderful time. Bermuda is perhaps the best cruise destination . It is safe , clean and full of wonderful friendly folks and fabulous things to see and do.
Old March 13th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Bermuda with kids?

Thanks for all those details "PapaBill."
Smooth sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor