Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Beginner

Default Camp Carnival

We are sailing on March 16th on the Carnival COnquest. I have a 23 month old and was told by the agent through Carnival that he can participate in their kids program. He said they don't even check when the parent signs them in. Is this true? Also, what is the exact procedure on signing them in. Is there paperwork involved, etc. for Camp Carnival?

Thanks,
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Camp Carnival

I am not sure about the starting age for Camp Carnival, but your child can probably go. There was an orientation meeting for all kids and parents the first night of the cruise, and we filled out some basic paperwork. Then each day, when we dropped them off we'd sign them in. Also, the same adult who signed them in has to sign them out, plus we had to show our sail & sign card, until they got to know us. They are very good about monitoring the kids. All of the workers have some sort of 4 year degree in childhood development. Also, any kid under 11 had to wear a wrist band with their muster station on it (in case of having to load the lifeboats) so if an emergency was called, the counselors would get your children to your muster station to meet you.
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Camp Carnival

Great, thanks for your reply. WHich ship where you on and what are your kids ages?
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Camp Carnival

I was on the Jubilee. My son was 8 at the time. He absolutely loved it.
Old February 28th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Camp Carnival

I'm the family cruise editor here. Camp Carnival starts for kids two years and older. While an agent may tell you your child can participate in the youth program, once you get on board, the youth counselors can be very strict about adhering to the age guideline. So since your child is almost two, he/she may or may not be able to participate in the youth program. It will really depend on what the youth counselors working on the ship say. They do have access to your data and can check out official birthdates if there's a question. Then again, they may not think it's a big deal and allow your child in. I just wanted to prepare you in case they don't bend the rule for a 23 month old.
There's an article I wrote on this section called "Why kids love Camp Carnival" that you may want to read prior to your cruise.
Feel free to ask any add'l questions.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:29 AM
Chantel Pannell Rollins

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Camp Carnival

Hello,
My entire family and a large group of friends are taking the 7 day Southern Caribbean Cruise 10/04. There are only 2 children going on this cruise, my daughter and my cousin. At the time we are taking the cruise, they will be ages 9 and 8. I looked at the age breakdown and it looks like one will be in 1 group and 1 in the other. My question is, how flexible is the age grouping thing? These 2 children are attached like you wouldn't believe and my aunt and I would like for them to be in the same group. Would this be possible? Or is there anyone on the Destiny I could talk to before we cruise?

Thank You
Old October 4th, 2003, 12:55 AM
p.g.

I don't care WHAT your travel agent says PLEASE phone the cruise line directly ( it's a free 1 800 call) and find out for sure about the age limits. I assume that your child is 23 months old NOW right? in that case you have no problem, BUT ,if what your're saying is that your child will be 23 months then ( time of cruise) then DON"T count on them being allowed in the program! The reason they will not let a 23 month old child in is simple INSURANCE! They have insurance that covers children in their care starting at 24 months, I bet there is no way they'll look the other way for your child. I would not be very happy with my travel agent if I was you, it seems like they were not very knowledgable (sp) and was intent on selling you a cruise under false assumption. How hard would it have been for your agent to call the line direct and find out for you!? I for one am not impressed . I hope it works out for you, maybe if your child is a month too young you could delay the trip by one month? I hear the camps are great, the one time we took our kids , 5 month old and 2 year old, they WERE too young and not allowed in the program( that was some years ago when the age limit was three) . Best luck!
Old October 4th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Beginner

Our trip back in March was wonderful on the Conquest. My son was allowed in Kids Camp. There was never any questions. We showed up to register them and I wrote down that he was two. He had a great week!

Stephanie

Chantel, it never hurts to ask but they didn't combine for us.
Old October 6th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SarahVic Send a message via MSN to SarahVic

I was told by a travel agent the the child has to be 2 and potty trained to participate. But, it would be smart to call them directly and get the scoop for yourself.
Old October 6th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Luisa

Children need to be two years for Camp Carnival but they don't have to be potty trained. Carnival is one of the few lines whereby youth counselors change diapers.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Luisa

I'm travelling with a 2 and a 5 year old, and I'm planning on using Camp carnival some evenings. They provide dinner from 6-7 (do I have to feed them or can they be left alone?). Also, from 7 to 10 there's play time, is this included or is this babysitting where I have to pay extra? Does the babysitting start at 10 pm and end at midnight?
Thanks for your help.
I'm cruising on the Carnival Victory.

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old October 7th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Jubilee in February and had children ages 5, 9, 11, 13 and 15... It is correct that the person who signs the child in, must sign them out also.. They have so many activities and stuff for the kiddos... My little one had a blast!! They did face painting, pictures, movies, puzzles, games, etc... They do put the wrist bands on them that designate where they need to go in case something happens and they are in their care.. the wristband designates which muster station they go to.. Also, they gave us beepers so that if she wanted to leave they would beep us and we could come get her.. However this never happened!! My daughter had so much fun that she wanted to go there first thing after breakfast and we would pick her up before lunch and keep her for a few hours and then she asked to go back till dinner time... On formal night she wanted to go eat dinner with her friends and they also took them to the disco for dancing and stuff... I know yours is younger, but I think will also have fun..
Old October 7th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor here. A few answers to your Q's:
The kids' program is free all day long until 10 p.m. at which time it's considered group babysitting and you'll have to pay a fee per child. The group babysitting goes until very late (I think it's 2 a.m.). When the counselors take the kids to dinner, you don't have to go and it's for free. Make sure you sign up earlier that day if your kids want to participate in the dinnner.
Hope this helps.
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for the info Luisa.

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04