Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 4 yr old picky eater

We are cruising on the Carnival Conquest in June with my 4 year old son. We would like to eat dinner in the dining room but I don't know if they have any kind of kids menu. I'm afraid that he won't eat any of the fancy dishes that are served there (he likes his food very plain and typical kids stuff only!). I realize that there is a pizza place too, but we really wanted to eat in the formal dining room for dinner each night. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: 4 yr old picky eater

Hi Diane,
I'm sure you will find a "kids" menu onboard. They actually will go out of their way to find something that will please your child, so don't worry.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Barb S.

My picky eater is 9 years older than yours, but I would assume just as picky. We just returned from Paradise and had no problems finding something for him to eat in the dining room. There were a couple of nights that I encouraged him to try something. If he didn't like it, he didn't eat it. But most of the time he enjoyed the new dishes. One night his meal was less than well rounded, 3 plates of fresh fruit, 2 soups and dessert. We just didn't worrry about it as long as he got enough to eat. The waiters do a great job of pleasing the kids. Have fun......Barb
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to both of you for the info. I feel better already. This is our second cruise, but our first with the kids. Its really funny that you said your picky eater is 9 years older because I also have a 16 year old that still is! With two kids so far apart in age, I thought it would be the perfect vacation. We can't wait to go!
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Luisa

Diane:
I too have children far apart in ages (18 months old and 9-12 years). Cruising is a great family vacation since there will be specific activities for your four year old and also for your 16 year old. With that, you'll also get some down time to relax too.
My daughter has been on 12 cruises -- since she was an only child for 8 years, cruises were great because she got to meet kids her age and do fun activities with them. We also love going to the great beaches in the Caribbean as a family and enjoying each other's company.
Smooth sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 10th, 2003, 06:04 PM
mordenel

Default Re: Re: 4 yr old picky eater

Don't worry about it at all Diane. There is so much food to choose from that even a picky 4 yr old will eat well. I too worried about my 5 yr old, but when we got on the ship, there was something liberating about showing her the choices, then saying eat or don't. We are on a ship, this is the food provided, and you can eat something or wait until breakfast. (This works at home too!) Even the pickiest of eaters amazingly become less picky. Remember, a child will not starve if they miss a meal once in a while. Once she realized I was not going to go to the kitchen and whip up some mac n cheese, she even became adventurous. My little one fell in awe of the lunchtime pasta guy on NCL Majesty - she loved his pasta and even made me take his picture for her scrap book. Have a great trip.

Mordenel

Century
4/19/03 and counting the hours!
Old April 11th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Admiral

there are so many food choices i really wouldn't worry about it. Read the menu together,- make a big deal about letting her decide,"You can anything from this menu that you want" who knows she might surprise you and try something different. She won't go hungry - soup, salad, steak and chicken are always available.