CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Car seats in taxis (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/276862-car-seats-taxis.html)

kf March 28th, 2003 01:00 PM

Car seats in taxis

We're looking into taking a cruise when our baby girl will be 13 months old. I'm not really concerned about the ship, but I am concerned about being in ports. Some of the taxi drivers are a little crazy! I was wondering what others have done about car seats in them. I have looked into the sit & stroll stroller that is also a car seat, but I want the stroller to have a canopy. I just want to keep her safe! Thanks!

Genie March 28th, 2003 09:23 PM

Re: Car seats in taxis

We were concerned about the same thing. We bought a portable carseat for $30.00 at onestepahead.com. I did see the same thing at Wal-Mart for $20. It is for children from 25 - 40 pounds, very lightweight and an approved car seat. I would go to the onestep ahead website and check out their picture.
Hope this helps.

Luisa March 31st, 2003 09:53 AM

Re: Re: Car seats in taxis

Dear KF:
Yes, the portable car seat/stroller combos from one step ahead are a good solution. However, as you said, there won't be an awning for shade. It's a difficult dilemna -- we don't take a car seat in a cab when going to the beach in port and just cross our fingers. But you have to do what you feel comfortable with.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

LisaK March 31st, 2003 10:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Car seats in taxis

i think that the portable car seats are a good idea, you will need them for your child on the airplane anyway.

melissa lennan April 2nd, 2003 08:53 PM

what a coincidence , my daughter will also be 13 months when we go on our cruise in may..but i dont know what to to about a car seat the one i have is way too bulky to carry around. if oyu find out anything could you pass the info along to me as well...please i would really appreciate it. i'm about to go out of my mind searching for info on cruising and car seats...

thanks melissa

melissa lennan April 2nd, 2003 09:14 PM

well i found a good portable car seat but its just a car seat not stroller. its called the tote n go $ 28 its supposed to be good i was just reading about it...for children 25-45 lbs i think it was. maybe that will help. you could get the combi savvy soho stroller...and bring along the portable car seat . the stroller is a fold and sling, very light weight 13lbs can be thrown over shoulder with the shoulder strap (reading this out of april issue of american baby mag) can safely navigate stairs and escalators (which is great for me cuz i live in new york and i'm alwasy in the city with the baby) it has a musical canopy for playing cd's ..cool. and it says dont mistake light for flimsy aluminum parts keep lightweight stollers strong.... . it s a pretty nice looking stroller too. there is a picture .. so i think that is what i will do .. get the portable carseat , and get the stroller. for the cruise i'm going on. but if you have any better ideas please please please let me know

LisaK April 3rd, 2003 08:30 AM

another thing to think about it the fact that strollers and the beach sand do not mix well. I think that baby backpacks are the best things, especially for beach days. I have seen lots of parents having lots of difficutly trying to maneuver strollers down narrow, bumpy , crowded island streets, and narrow cruise hallways- just a thought.

Luisa April 3rd, 2003 09:38 AM

One more thought...while the one step ahead two in one stroller/car seat combo are great for traveling and taking cabs to beaches, etc., they don't have an awning on them. This I find to be very important when strolling a little one around in the hot Caribbean sun.
Good luck with your decision!

jesslch April 5th, 2003 12:59 PM

Actually, my sit n stroll DOES hace a detachable shade cover. We used it a lot on our cruise in December.

jesslch April 5th, 2003 01:05 PM

We bought the tote n go for our next cruise and will bring that and an umbrella stroller for my 19 month old. Haven't yet tried the tote n go out, so I'm not sure how great it is. We love our sit n stroll,especially when flying, but since we aren't flying this time, decided to bring something more compact since the sit n stroll does take up precious cabin space.

mlennan April 7th, 2003 09:23 AM

when you try out the tote n go ..please let me know how it works out....i know they say its safe but still its a little unerving ....lol since being so used to the traditional car seat. because i would really like to use it for our trip. i have already ordered it anyway

mlennan April 7th, 2003 09:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Car seats in taxis

thats actually a pretty good thought ...i didnt think of that. i have a baby bjiorn. that i probablly would have forgotten to put on my packing list. well its not a back pack but its a good idea. i ddint think of sand and stoller wheels. lol

kf April 7th, 2003 10:14 AM

Thanks for all the ideas! I guess I'm looking for that one perfect product, but it doesn't seem anyone makes it! I'm starting to favor the tote 'n go, just because it's usually not that long we'd be in a taxi. Here's a review on it: http://www.carseatdata.org/TNG.html. The only problem is, what to do about the plane ride. I'm still debating to get her her own seat, which I'm favoring. I could always bring along the big seat to use & then just store it in the cabin. I'd rather bring along a smaller stroller than the sit n stroll just for the fact that I'm hoping she'll sleep in it, so I'd like for it to recline. I've read about kids sleeping through shows & stuff that way, so hopefully she will too. If not, we'll be sitting on our balcony while she sleeps in her crib! I'm still going to keep searching though & I'll post anything else I can find. We have until Sept, so maybe something new will come out!

Luisa April 8th, 2003 09:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Car seats in taxis

We always book a seat on the plane for our toddler and bring his car seat. IT's more comfortable and safer too. I think it's worth the money, but that's your call!
Smooth sailing (and flying),
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

Nanatravel April 8th, 2003 10:07 AM

Great topic moms & dads. Some Carnival ships now rent strollers. You may wish to check on your cruise line's ability to help you out.
Bon Voyage