Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Mikey Sr.

Default Age group change on Princess?

My wife and I are planning our tenth aniversary cruise and were thinking of traveling on the Golden Princess doing the southern run. We have heard that Princess has changed it's age requirements for their child programs. My sons love the Grand a few years back and it would be a bummer if I cound not put my two year old daughter in their programs. Our only other choice would be the Destiny. Does anyone have any info regarding policy change?
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Age group change on Princess?

Hi Mickey,
I haven't heard of any changes, this is the information up on the Cruisemates site about the children's programs on Princess:

PRINCESS CRUISES "LOVE BOAT KIDS"

Ships: Sun, Sea, Dawn, Golden, Grand, Star, Regal, Coral, Island

Destinations: Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska

Groups: Princess Pelicans 2-12; Princess Teen Club 13-17. (Note: Counselors do not change diapers of two-year-olds who are not potty-trained.) Minimum age to sail in the Caribbean, Alaska and Mexico is six months; Panama Canal and New England/Canada is 12 months; Europe and the Exotics is 18 months.

Counselors: Full-time Youth Director with staff. Additional staff added during vacation and holiday periods. Golden, Grand, Star, Sun, Sea and Dawn Princess all have a full-time Teen Director. Royal, Tahitian and Pacific Princesses have youth staff when 20 or more children are aboard and there are no dedicated youth rooms on these three ships.

Hours: 9 a.m.-12 p.m.; 2 - 5 p.m.; 7- 10 p.m.

Cool Teen Stuff: Grand Princess has the most extensive facilities, including a teen center/disco, separate deck area with a teen jacuzzi, and virtual reality center. On Dawn, Ocean, Sea and Sun Princess, teen areas include a juke box, arcade, dance floor with disco lights and booths set up like a diner. On Crown and Regal Princess, teens share the center with the younger children, but their area can be separated by a partition when it is busy. There is a Nintendo in the teen area and a special teen disco night once a week.

Parent Savers: Group babysitting only. When ships are in port, group babysitting/supervised activities are available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at a charge of $4 per hour. There is also a $5 per hour charge for group babysitting from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. each night for children ages 3 to 12. Pagers are given to parents of young children.

Not available: Strollers

Kids' Shore Excursions: On Princess Cays, the line's private Caribbean island, supervised programs are offered at Pelican's Perch playground.

Rates: Third and fourth persons in cabin pay 50% of Love Boat Saver advance purchase discount rates.

Noteworthy Features: On Dawn, Golden, Grand, Ocean, Sea and Sun Princess, the children's play area has a ball pit, separate splash pool, computers and toddlers' play area. Kids-only pizza party offered one evening per cruise. Special "Save Our Seas" educational programs teach kids about marine life. In-cabin television includes children's programming from Nickelodeon.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 7th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Age group change on Princess?

I'm the family cruise editor here. Yes, Princess has changed their age policy and now the youth program starts at age 3. I was disappointed too when they changed it. (The info Donna gave you needs to be updated -- soon -- by me!)
Norwegian Cruise Line and Carnival do accept kids as young as two years old in their youth programs. Carnival will change diapers while NCL will give you a beeper so you can change your child's diaper. Disney has a nursery for those under three years (you must pay an hourly fee) and they too change diapers. All three have good youth programs -- it really depends what you're looking for.
Feel free to ask add'l Q's.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old April 7th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Mikey Sr.

Default Re: Re: Re: Age group change on Princess?

I have heard mixed things writen avout NCL. We did consider the Norwegian Sky, but have decided on the Destiny. Thanks for your help. Mike