Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2003, 03:40 PM
loowee

Default babies on board

Hi there, I am wondering if ANYONE can give us an honest, accurate answer as we have been told many different things. We will be travelling on Carnivals Destiny in February and are trying to decide if we should take our almost 2 year old. He will be two months away from being two at the time of the cruise. Our question is this, does anyone know forsure(or good probability) if we will be asked for his birth certificate/passport for enty into Camp Carnival(the kids program on board)? Our son isn' t quite one yet and we have been asked a few times if he is two already. So he is a big boy and is quite advanced(he won't look like he isn't two). I have spoken to two carnival reps(one who spoke to her supervisor) and was told, we probably would not be questioned if he didn't look to young, it would just depend on the counsellor and another rep said we would be asked regardless. Anyone have an exprience with this either way?
Thank you so much for any info,
loowee
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2003, 08:27 AM
Luisa

Default Re: babies on board

I'm the family cruise editor here. Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on him being allowed into the youth program if he officially isn't two years yet. On most cruise lines, youth counselors are given a manifest of children's ages which were gotten from their passport or birth certificate when you checked in and boarded the ship. Thus, they will most probably know your son's age. Sometimes youth counrselors may bend the rules but generally they'll do it if they don't have a lot of kids in the program. However, Carnival tends to be pretty full with kids year round. My suggestions are this: either change your cruise date to two months later when your son will be two years old or adjust your expectations if you do cruise in Feb. and your son can't participate in the youth program.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: babies on board

i have to agree with Lusia on this one, the cruise lines can be pretty strict when it comes to the ages of kids in the youth programs. Another point to ponder - is your son potty trained? Counselors will not change diapers.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:55 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: babies on board

Actually, what Lisa said about counselors not changing diapers is incorrect. Carnival youth counselors do change diapers of kids in the youth program. Carnival also has very limited hours in the evening that those under two years can come to group babysitting -- but it's usually does not start until 10 p.m.
ANother option is Disney Cruise Line -- they have an excellent nursery for those 6 weeks to three years old. There is a fee for it and you have to schedule your visits once you get aboard ship. They do change diapers in the nursery. See my article on Disney's Nursery on this section of CruiseMates.com.
I hope this helps!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor