Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:58 PM
m.l.

Default the dawns rooms

ok so my new topic is about the ncl dawns rooms . i have booked an oceanview no balcony , deck 5 ...right. so i am wondering if anyone would have any idean of what an oceanview looks like . i'm a little confused because i saw two differnt websites with two totally different pics of the oceanviews one had a nice little sitting area with a couch that retracted into another bed, (now again this is no balcony) the second had a small sitting area next to the vanity, no couch though , just two hard wood chairs and a small bedside table.and the whole layout of the room was different. now i'm hoping its not the latter because the first pic i saw of the first room was a bit more flattering and spacious. the first website was at travelocity.com click on cruises, click on ship profiles click on details then click the room you want to see. the second was virtualtoursusa.com. can anyone anyone tell me which one is acurate?
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Luisa

Default Re: the dawns rooms

m.l.:
Why don't you go to NCL's web site directly? You can click on the Dawn and get some pix of staterooms. (www.ncl.com or www.norwegiancruiseline.com) Make sure that the room you book has enough beds to sleep the total number of adults and kids in your family. (We were recently on Holland America and our triple room did not have enough space to set up the crib for my toddler and open the couch for my older daughter to sleep on....)

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:36 AM
m.l.

Default Re: Re: the dawns rooms

thank you i will do that and check it out
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Laura (UK)

Default Re: Re: Re: the dawns rooms

Alternatively have a look at this site http://www.cruisestateroom.com/features.htm which gives comparisons between staterooms/layouts etc. for the various cruiselines.

Laura
Old April 25th, 2003, 10:35 PM
camilleshoe

Default Re: the dawns rooms

Hi m.l.
We sailed on the Dawn in March and had an oceanview room (no balcony) on deck 5 also. Our room was really nice, but pretty cramped with four of us (my husband, me, and our 5 and 2 year old boys). When we arrived, the room looked spacious . . . 2 twin beds set apart (looking like couches ) by the window. As I recall, there was also a chair or two at the vanity on one side of the room and another chair or stool near a small table on the other side of the room. Once they made up the beds for the first time, however, (pushing the two twins together to form a big bed for us), the space was eaten up. They left the beds in that position for the rest of the cruise, which made seating really cramped. Our older boy slept on an upper bunk which pulled down (and then went back up during the day) and that was great. But our two year old slept on a trundle cot which pulled out from under one of the twins. His bed was directly next to ours making it one gigantic bed and therefore eating up all of the floor space at night.
I don't want to sound too negative, tho. It was still a really nice room (much better than we expected), and the cruise was so fun that we really spent very little time in our room. I think on our next cruise, however, we may invest in a 'mini-suite' - so we can spread out a little.
Anyhow, I hope this is helpful. . .
Have fun on your cruise, and don't worry about the anti-kid sentiments you found elsewhere. There were over 200 kids on our ship, and all the non-kid folks we met were very kind to us and did not seem mind sharing the ship. (I did have a similar experience to yours on our plane trip home, however, where the woman behind me ranted throughout the flight about the number of children on the plane and how it was unfair that she had to pay all that money to hear kids crying and fussing. She really got my blood pressure up . . . especially since we also paid good money for our kids' seats on that plane and they had as much right to be there as her. Though I wanted to tell her off, I held my tongue because I suspect she is just a mean spirited person and my words would have done little to persuade her I agree with the others that anyone looking for an adults only vacation should go to an adults-only resort/ship. Cruise lines now cater specifically to families with children . . . they want you and your kids there spending money. Don't feel guilty! Have fun with your baby. Its a great family vacation!!!
Good luck!!
Camille
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:35 PM
m.l

Default Re: Re: the dawns rooms

camilleshoe..i have to personally thank you for this reply....very very very informative. thanks to everyone else too i really appreciate your input, but to hear from someone who has been in the room themselves and has seen the room first hand really really helps alot. also to know that there were that many children on the ship, really puts me at ease. thanks again ...to everyone