Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:46 AM
First Mate

Default To Luisa: Traveling w/ Infants

Hi Luisa,
Thanks for your encouraging comments. We are thinking to cruise NCL Wind starting August 3 since we will be visiting Vancouver for a family wedding earlier that week. Do you think that NCL Wind is an appropriate ship or Would you recommend some other cruise lines which may be better for bringing babies along. I am planning to reserve our seats within the next week and I will really appreciate any feedback. Actually I must say that I am quite intrigued by your cruise forums web-site and I would be able to learn so much before really taking the vacation (especially since we will be travelling w/ baby). I also liked your idea that one of us could watch the baby and stroll around the city while the other could take excursions. One more question, Do you think an Oceanview stateroom (approx 176 sq ft) will be suitable for a couple and an infant Or we should look into the one w/ balcony.

Again, Thanks a lot for your help and I will look into your articles on the website.
Regards,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Luisa

Default Re: To Luisa: Traveling w/ Infants

Hi Gary:
Glad to hear that I've been helpful -- we love cruising with our kids and I like sharing the things I've learned along the way!
Actually we took the NCL Wind from Vancouver to Alaska a few years ago when my daughter was four years old. We had a wonderful time -- everyone on board was very friendly and really enjoyed having the little ones on the ship. If you can afford it, I'd book a cabin with a balcony. That way you can sit out on the balcony and enjoy the beautiful scenery while your baby is inside napping. I always think it's a shame to have to spend many hours a day inside a dark cabin while a baby naps when instead you can be sitting out on your verandah reading, etc.Just make sure when you book it that there will be room to set up the portable crib that the cruise lines provide -- on a recent cruise we didn't have room to set up the crib and open up the pull out couch for my older daughter.
Vancouver is one of my favorite cities in North America -- glad to hear you'll have some time there. It's got great views of the mountains, water, etc.
I hope you decide to go to Alaska with your infant. Just be prepared that vacation will be different from now on that you have a child. But it still can be great!
Feel free to ask any add'l Q's.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa