Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Passenger

Default Can you rent Walkie Talkies aboard Ship?

Can passengers rent walkie talkies on the ships? How has past cruisers kept in touch with their teenage children?

Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Can you rent Walkie Talkies aboard Ship?

Depends upon the cruise line. I have mixed feelings about the whole walkie talkie idea. Do you feel the need to be in constant contact with your kids? or do you trust them enough to agree to meet at certain places at certain times? People have been crusing for years without them. If there is an emergency, they can always get ahold of you. It can be a real annoyance - especially at dinner time
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Can you rent Walkie Talkies aboard Ship?

Yes, I trust them. But....... it is very important for me to be able to reach them when needed. As well as them being able to contact us.

We are cruising with 6 teenage girls (15-16), my daughter, niece, 4 friends, a 10, 9, 7, and 2 year old (all girls). This will be the kids , mom, and sister 1st cruise . My husband, sister, brother in-law and I have all cruised before.

We are trying to come up with a workable plan, that insures fun, their safety, and our peace of mind.

Thanks.......
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Can you rent Walkie Talkies aboard Ship?

To Key:
I think you should check with the individual line you're interested in to see if they rent walkie talkies. I think it's a really good idea to either buy or rent them to keep track of your teens. Also, you may want to bring a baby monitor if the teens are staying in a different cabin than you -- that way you can hear what's going on in the room at all times!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Can you rent Walkie Talkies aboard Ship?

what about pagers? i am not totally sure on this one, but i think that some cruise lines will rent you pagers. I do know that if you enroll the younger ones into the youth programs on most cruise lines they will provide you with a pager. Have your travel agent check it out for you.
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can you rent Walkie Talkies aboard Ship?

Many cruise lines do give you pagers when you have a little one (usually for those five years and under) participating in the youth program. Some of the lines which do this include Disney, Princess, and NCL.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Passenger

We were on Carnival Victory last month and they had a limited number available to rent. We didn't rent them but in the future think we will take our own. Traveling with a 4 & 7 yr old there were many times I was with one and my wife with the other and we needed to find each other. Plus, if you decide to wonder in different directions while in port it could be handy.

Doug

Victory 4/13/03
Old June 1st, 2003, 02:32 PM
Yeoman

We traveled on the Adventure of the Seas, April 20 and used Walkie Talkies for our 14 & 16 yo Boys and our 9 yo daughter. The radios came in handy to remind the boys that it was time to get ready for dinner or be somewhere. My daughter signed herself into and out of the youth program a couple of times and felt secure having the walkie talkie with her. We even used them to find each other on a shore excursion when our family was participating in different activities. All in all, I'd say they were worth the purchase price.
Old June 14th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Passenger

I've heard that if you rent them for the whole cruise, it's cheaper to buy them then rent them. Plus, as was mentioned, theyt only have a limited number to rent. Best Buy usually has some on special.
Old June 16th, 2003, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Can you rent Walkie Talkies aboard Ship?

I bought mine at Ocean state job lot...I don't know if that is just a local chain here in Massachusetts....real cheap....I plan to use them on the Inspiration this weekend...I don't think there is anything wrong with using them....I have a 14 year old who wouldn't dare go in Camp Carnival...and he likes to venture out now and again on his own...I saw families using them on my last cruise and when I got home...I ran out and bought some for my next cruise...and here it is!!!!!
Old July 6th, 2003, 10:56 PM
First Mate

I purchased a pair of walkie talkies at Walmart for around $25.00. Great idea to keep in tough with my teen daughter or so I thought. Problem is, there are so many families using these, that all the channels (there are 10 or 12 channels) are extremely busy. You can hardly ever get through and other people's conversations are constantly playing out loud on your talkie.

Took this set back to Walmart when I returned home. Don't waste your money. Instead, if you feel the need, tell you kids to wear a watch and have them meet you at an agreed upon place at a certain time. If they don't follow through, make them tag along with you for a few hours. THAT will get their attention. Personally, I have been allowing my daughter to go off with newly made friends during the day and evening on "sea" days. We only see each other at breakfast, dinner and occasionally when passing on a deck somewhere. She was 15 when I started letting her venture out and so far, it's worked out great. There are also "teen programs" on board and if your kids are a bit younger, they will definitely enjoy hanging out with that group and it's supervised.
Old July 6th, 2003, 10:59 PM
First Mate

I purchased a pair of walkie talkies at Walmart for around $25.00. Great idea to keep in touch with my teen daughter or so I thought. Problem is, there are so many families using these, that all the channels (there are 10 or 12 channels) are extremely busy. You can hardly ever get through and other people's conversations are constantly playing out loud on your talkie.

Took this set back to Walmart when I returned home. Don't waste your money. Instead, if you feel the need, tell your kids to wear a watch and have them meet you at an agreed upon place at a certain time. If they don't follow through, make them tag along with you for a few hours. THAT will get their attention. Personally, I have been allowing my daughter to go off with newly made friends during the day and evening on "sea" days. We only see each other at breakfast, dinner and occasionally when passing on a deck somewhere. She was 15 when I started letting her venture out and so far, it's worked out great. There are also "teen programs" on board and if your kids are a bit younger, they will definitely enjoy hanging out with that group and it's supervised.