Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Ed L

Default family of 5

I would like to take my family on a cruise. Both my wife and I have cruised before (NCL and defunct Renaissance), but it will be the first experience with my 3 kids (8. 8, and 10 y.o). For what I can tell, there are very few cabins that accomodates for 5 (Carnival, Disney, and limited RCCL). I am not even sure I would what everyone in one cabin. We have thought about getting a outside cabin and an inside cabin (across the hall if possible) Any suggestions, for balancing space and cost. We are looking into a Nov. 2 trip to Caribbean. (Also, any suggestion: Western, Southern, or Eastern Caribbean?). Thanks.

Eddie
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: family of 5

Hi Eddie,
I'd suggesting looking for connecting cabins and possibly check out any of the Royal Caribbean Voyager class ships. They have one in all areas of the Caribbean and they are absolutely great for cruising with families. They also have family suites that may work for you whole family?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Admiral

You have a few options to think about: Outside cabin for adults w/kids across the hall in an inside cabin. Get adjoing outside cabins. Look into family suites/staterooms (Princess, Royal Caribbean have them). It sometimes works out cheaper to go to a mini-suite than to book 2 cabins- that's what we did. We are a familly of three traveling with a family of 4 and each have booked a mini-suite w/balcony on the Golden Princess and saved about $1,000 per family total.
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: family of 5

Ed:
I think Donna and Lisa all had good advice. Also, you're going at a time of year that rates are lower than high season, which works in your benefit. I'd suggest a Western or Southern Carib. itinerary -- the latter gets you off the beaten path a bit.
Let me know if you have add'l questions.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Passenger

Hi Eddie,
I too would suggest a possible mini suite also, or two connecting outside cabins.
We have been to both the Western and the Eastern as well as the southern.
The southern is beautiful but most of the southern caribbean ships sail from
San Juan. This could get a little expensive due to the airfair price. I would have to
say the Eastern is my favorite, the Virgin Islands are the best, good shopping,
beaches, and excursions.

We are traveling on the Mariner of the Seas, our first on RCCL, on Nov. 23rd,
(Thanksgiving cruise). We also have an 8year old (girl) and I hear
RCCL Voyager Class ships have tons to do for kids.
If you happen to change your sail date maybe we will see you...

Good luck, and happy sailing,
Leslie
Old July 11th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Avery

Hey, I am the second oldest of 4 kids and were going on a cruise in early august, were splitting rooms between girls and boys. so 3 girls in the 1st room and 2 boys in the next. 1 parent in each room. it all depends on how old ur kids are and if there girls or boys. i hope i helped
bye
avery :0) =

"I solemly swear that i am up to no good"
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Luisa

Hi Avery;
Let me know how it worked out with splitting your family between two rooms. Thanks!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 24th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Ob Nurse

Hi Ed..my family also has 5. We are going on the NCL Dawn and booked connecting triple and double balcony rooms. I think it's better than one big room which we've done before. 2 tv's, 2 hair dryers, 2 bathrooms, etc. Much easier!! Have fun!
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Eddie, we are planning to go to Alaska this summer with our two kids. We considered the "across the hall" option, but we decided, instead, to get the penthouse suite, which has a king bed for us, a queen pull out couch (my son will sleep on this, but you could fit two kids on it) and a berth for our daughter. The room is much bigger, and has some special amenities. It might be something to check into.

Sheila
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Rina

Hi Ed,
We're booked on RCCL NOS in April. 2 Adults, 2 kids. Booked two cabins. One Ext. one Int. It was only about 300.00 more for the week and I feel it will be well worth it! By the way - we're going Eastern Carribb.
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went on Vision to Mexico in December, and booked a balcony cabin and an across-the-hall interior cabin for the kids. For booking purposes, there was one adult in each room, but in reality the kids were across the hall (ages 8,9 and 11). My husband and I were in the balcony cabin with our 6 year old daughter. It worked out great. Two adjoining rooms would have been nice, but it was much cheaper to get an interior, and I actually liked not having the kids have their own "balcony" -- less to worry about!

It was nice that they had a place to go to hang out and watch TV, but as many people have said, we weren't in the cabins all that much. If we were doing it again, I'd do the same thing -- the kids loved the idea, and the hallways are so narrow it didn't feel "scary" or too far away. Our cabin steward was great about setting up the room each night for the kids.
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Western Caribbean has more beach/water activities. The kids also love the ruins.
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:14 PM
VILLA

WE ARE A FAMILY OF FIVE (17,13,7 AGED KIDS)

WOULD LIKE TO GO TO ALASKA IN THE SUMMER ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SHIPS, ITINERAY, BOOKING ROOMS
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Luisa

Alaska is such a great family destination, especially families with older children and teens. You really can't go wrong with any line your choose. Once you narrow it down, feel free to ask add'l q's.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

we have cruised twice with three kids you absolutely need two cabins of some kind just for closets, bathrooms etc... one will be a real lousy set up for you and no fun at all
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:27 AM
First Mate

Hi,

We are doing 4in one Carnival outside room and our children are alot older. I wouldn't do that with 5, but if it runs less expensive than 2 rooms, I think you would be fine in a suite. The space isn't an issue as you are never in the room--just watch the packing! My biggest concern is the bathroom time, but with kids that young that shouldn't be an issue. And, you can go to the spa showers for more space or to save time. I don't think I would want 3 kids that young across the hall. My second choice to save money if the suite doesn't work out is two adjoining inside staterooms.

Good luck,

Natalie

Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Hi Eddie!

Our friends who are a family of 5 plus 1 grandparent just got back from Celebrity Century(?). They booked 2 inside cabins and were told by their travel agent that based on the map/floor plan they would be across the hall from each other - WRONG - they were separated by a crew member only hallway, luckily they had the grand dad travelling w/them so he stayed in one room with the 2 older ones (6 and 8) and the parents stayed in the other room with the toddler. So make sure your travel agent knows what they're doing if you decide to not book adjoining/side by side rooms!

Good luck with your research!
Laura
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Stacycruiser

We are a family of five. We booked on the Navigator. It was cheaper to put us in joining rooms. The price break came from our third child in the room.
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM
cheeseluvscows

Hi I'm a cruiser. My parents, my brother, and I go on cruses alot. my brother and I are 18 and 12. My parents would get two adjoining rooms and put one of their names in each cabin and then when we go there awitch so me and my brother had the same cabin and they had the other one all too themselves. I suggest doing this with the two older kids and the third one in your room or do the same with the three of them. I wason carnival and it was really good.
Old March 10th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

My husband and I cruise with our kids (3-4 depending on college and school breaks)and book two cabins. That way you get two bathrooms! Kids are in one and adults in the other.
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

we did side-by-side cabins on the carnival jubilee last summer. our kids are older, so they had their cabin (2 lowers & a rollaway) and we had ours. if you and your wife don't mind being split up, you could do a 3/2 split between cabins. it's nice because you have 2 bathrooms. with 2 teen girls in our family, there's no way we could have all shared 1 bathroom. if you book a regular stateroom on carnival for 5 people, i think they put you in a room with 2 uppers, 2 lowers and bring in a rollaway. pretty crowded, although you may not spend much time in the room anyway.