Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default swim diapers on Royal Caribbean?

We're planning to take Vision of the Seas out of LA the week after Christmas. Between two families, we are bringing 6 children -- aged 2,4,6,7,9 and 11. Elsewhere on Cruisemates, I read that RCCL won't allow children in swim diapers in their pools. Is this true?

I think this would be a deal-breaker for us since our friends with the two year old would have a daily nightmare trying to keep him out of the pool if all other kids are in it. I'm hoping to hear that this is a "loose" or non-enforced rule.

We're excited about the trip and want to make it work. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Luisa

Default Re: swim diapers on Royal Caribbean?

Jeanne:
All the cruise lines these days post a sign saying no swim diapers in the pools, however I have yet to see anyone standing by the pools and reinforcing it. So I guess it's a loose rule, as you say -- can't say whether you'd run into problems with it on Royal Carib anymore than anywhere else. Most parents (myself included) have been discreet and haven't been prohibited from bringing a child with swim diapers in to a pool on board.
Hope this helps!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old July 9th, 2003, 10:20 PM
shari3

I agree - we were on the Adventurer with a toddler. After readind the warnings I dressed her in a swimsuit with built in diaper, Not once were we questioned. All that worry for nothing!
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: swim diapers on Royal Caribbean?

Thank you for the advice! We've decided to give it a try and just made our reservations!
Old July 14th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Admiral

i think that if you put the "little swimmers" under a regular bathing suit or boy's swimtrunks you shouldn't have a problem
Old July 18th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Passenger

Beware the restricted swim times for kids in the indoor pool. We were kicked out 3 times after 6pm and before 12 noon because these are designated adult only times. Ridiculous. We were the only ones in the pool. 3 different staffers enforced this rule.
Old July 20th, 2003, 12:33 PM
joto

Just please don't let your child get into the adult pools or hot tubs either with or without any kind of diaper.
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:00 PM
gm

I agree with joto. Please do not take your child with or without a diaper in the adult pools or hot tubs. If you want to do this in the children's pool, be my guest.
Old August 30th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Reena

Jeanne,

Please keep your child in the kiddie pool! Why should adults have to swim in your child's potty stuff? I cant stand parents who think its ok to break the rules with their children Children in diapers dont belong on cruises! Their strollers are a pain in the neck! I have said my peace!
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:21 PM
Maxxy

My personal opinion. Why would you subject other people to allowing a not-potty trained child into the pool. I feel this is disgusting and inconsiderate. (I know that this site is filled with parents, but I'm a parent too, and would not do it.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I feel obliged to remind everyone that the question does not have to do with allowing children to soil the pool. Of course, none of us would want this. The parents who have posted here are talking about children in the "in between" age, who do not typically have accidents. Also, we're talking about using a "swim diaper" which does contain accidents, should they happen.

I can understand not wanting noisy or poorly behaved children to hurt your experience. But, parents with children have also paid money for their cruise. What my question was about was approved use of the family pool, which is provided specifically for the use of children and their parents. I would welcome a more devleoped children's pool area on these RCCL ships. The Princess cruise we took last year had a better children's pool facility, it seems.

I don't see any reason why the simple fact of having children on the ship should annoy anyone. I have cruised without my children and I very much enjoyed the quiet of the adults-only pool. I happily dined at later seatings, and did not feel bothered by boisterous familes. When I'm traveling with my kids, I stay out of restaurants after 8 pm to allow others to have a quieter experience. Similarly, I wouldn't bring them to the adult pool, even though they are now well past the toilet training years. I'm as considerate as possible, and I appreciate the consideration of others towards me, in matters such as smoking in public areas, loudness in the staterooms, hoarding seats in public lounge areas etc.

When we cruise this winter, I'll be sending good thoughts over to those at the adult pool as I make my way to the family pool. Everyone deserves a nice vacation. Not just those without (or with) children.
Old September 15th, 2003, 01:23 PM
p.g.

Hello, get real everyone, kids will pee in the pool even school age kids do, too lazy to get out and go to the biffy, don't care if you are horrified its true!! There is cholrine in the pool it will kill the germs, but be sure to shower after. Maybe YOUR child would never do that , but plenty do, so I wouldn't get my knickers in a snit over a baby in a swim diaper. Oh yeah I read in another post about how a swimming pool had to be cleared because an ADULT who drank too much andTHREW UP in it. Lovely.
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Shellytc

A little information. I have owned a pool, when my son was 18 months old until he was 4 years old (and finally potty trained). Swimmie diapers are like pull ups, only they don't swell when soiled, and are tight to help contain any "accidents". They are much better than nothing or regular diapers. I never had one blow out with him or any other child (and I had a lot in the pool in those 3 years).

As for children peeing in the pool, most of the kids I know don't do it. They get out of the pool and use the rest room. All the time. It can be annoying, "mom, i have to go to the bathroom" all day long. But i have watched some adults (make that many) drink, and drink and drink all day, and never have to leave to use the facilities. Makes me wonder......

Shelly
Old September 24th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Yeoman

Shellytc Most kids wouldn't annouce they had just peed in your pool , now would they!? lol
Old October 11th, 2003, 07:14 PM
drzone

To remind every one that pee is sterile.
Poo is not, which make me wonder the utility of the swim diaper.
On the other hand saliva, vaginal discharge, STDs, skin sores etc... are allowed in the pool without any protections. So before worrying about the swim diapers...
Just my 2cts at the bigger picture.
Old October 12th, 2003, 06:04 PM
alisonr

Default Re: Re: Re: swim diapers on Royal Caribbean?

I agree that rules should be obeyed. However, I disagree with your statement that "children in diapers don't belong on a cruise." As long as I am changing the diapers and not putting my kid in the pool I'm not sure what concern it is of yours that I bring my baby on a cruise. The cruise lines allow babies, they pay a fare, and by the way my baby is also a generous tipper!! I have never been on a cruise where I felt disturbed by someone's baby. I have been disturbed by loud obnoxious adults some who belittle the staff that are serving them, get drunk, talk loudly in the corridors at all hours of the night.
Old October 13th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Yeoman

Exactly , alisonr! Kids have never bothered us, but some grown-ups.....
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

allison - I wish there were more parents like you. I cannot believe that a CM staff person actually is advocating flaunting the rules! The rules are there for a reason - that being that swim diapers are NOT 100% fail proof! The rules are in place to protect the majority of the people on board - I am sorry if some people see this as an inconvenience, but come on! Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it hasn't leaked.....

And to the person who said "pee" is sterile - it usually is, but what if someone has an infection.....or how about the germs that are on the skin outside the urethra? There are plenty of germs there.....did you know that most urine is contaminated with E Coli? Especially in those who are unable to control their bowels and bladder (which I believe would include a child in swim diapers - assuming they are in swim diapers because they still have not mastered potty training.) I am not slamming children, I love them. But, there are times and places when the needs of the many outweigh the needs or wants of the few.

Old October 13th, 2003, 10:44 PM
drzone

Pee IS sterile.
E coli is the usual cause for UTI (bladder infection) and the source is usually from the perianal area. Chance of E coli surviving in clorinated water is pretty remote anyway. Don't blame pee, blame poo is my point.
Old October 14th, 2003, 02:31 AM
p.g.

This could get totally graphic so I will try not to get carried away, but how well did the gentleman in the pool next to you today wipe his bottom. Germs are pretty small, doesn't take much.
I have never heard of anyone in a properly chlorinated pool getting sick from e-coli, or anything else for that matter. I just think some people think of things to worry about. Just my opinion, but kids in the pool who are well behaved don't bug me, I don't care about the diaper thing, as long as no floaters get out I'm fine!
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:57 AM
stew

that attitude toward children is annoying!......like people with kids should just stay home......no diapers, no strollers, no noise...my God, you must have forgotten that you too were once a child....hope people then were more understanding!.........Stew
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Cuzin4fun1010

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: swim diapers on Royal Caribbean?

Some adults can be far more worse than children. Picture this- Big guy drinking up a storm....too lazy to go to the restroom..just pees right there..probably passed some gas too. How about the hot tub?.... Imagine what's floating around in there...We have a hot tub and from experience, I do not use public hot tubs. It's pretty gross when you clean them and see all the dead skin and such. I'd be more afraid to swim/sit in there then to go in a pool with a child with a swim diaper on..........Parents with children should respect the signs, I will. It's really the adults that tend to scare me.
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:13 AM
Hollyhawk

Boy Oh Boy do I agree with Cruzin4fun1010. I would much rather be in a pool with with two babies that might pee than two adults that pee in the pool. I have seen them, they never get out of the pool all day; I get out at least five times to pee, if I'm just hanging around inthe pool. You adult pool pissers o'ought to be ashamed of your selves!
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:53 PM
christine fischer

Several of you have mentioned "adult pools." I'm cruising on Celebrity and have before. I wasn't aware there were "adult pools." (with the exception of the spa pool) Is this an RCCL thing or are you guys referring to the big pools vs the kiddie pools? Celebrity has a tiny kiddie pool at the rear of the ship (and I mean tiny). We have taken our daughter into the big pool. There were other kids in there too. Is there some rule I'm not aware of?
Old October 30th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Henry

I think it is probably worth mentioning in this thread that we have just returned from a cruise on Navigator, and they DID enforce their policy against children with swim diapers during our cruise. We were in the pool with another couple and their toddler mid-week when a pool attendant told us that we had to take the kids out of the pool.

It is posted, and as a physician I think it is ridiculous, but them's the rules, and we got out. For what it's worth, the pool attendant was very polite and seemed a little reluctant to cause a scene. I got the feeling that another passenger must have complained.

I would encourage families who would like to take their kids swimming while on a cruise (like us!) to mention it to RCCL-- we did on our post-cruise survey. They charge a pretty stiff rate, even for toddlers, and if they can put a rock wall and ice rink on board, surely they can come up with a very nice kiddie pool. YMCA's across the country do it and it works fine.

Other than "the pool incident" it was a fantastic cruise for all of us and our 15 month-old was treated like a princess by everyone on the ship.
Old November 5th, 2003, 06:03 PM
grm

I have watched this thread develop since the intial question was posted back in July I and have also resisted commenting - and many will think I should have continued to resist - but feel I can't resist any longer. I am an academic advisor at a major University and quite frankly I am appalled at parents' answers (Including Luisa who is paid to give "advice!") For years I have watched students come in with the attitude "cheating is o.k. - as long as I don't get caught!!" Now I know where they get this attitude. This entire thread is devoted to how to get around the rules. Let's do this and no one will notice, etc. etc. I am 50+ and have raised two responsible, "caring of others feelings" children. I have grandchildren that hopefully are being raised the same way. Never in all my childrearing years did I ever thing it was o.k. to disregard rules. Mind you, there have been many, ,many rules I did not think were legitimate or worthy, but I followed them anyway - as a responsible adult and more importantly - a responsible parent. If you don't like the rules, work to change them - not disobey them. It will be a terrible society we leave our children in if everyone takes the attitude that some of the parents on this site have taken. One very responsible parent was thoughtful enough to bring a blow-up baby pool - what a great idea. It's truly discouraging to think that we live in a society where "parents" are raising children to disobey rules just because they don't "like" them. Shame on all of you!!
Old November 5th, 2003, 06:45 PM
alisonr

Agree with grm! I personally don't mind being in a pool with babies in swim diapers. Our local pools allow it and the chance of catching something from a chlorinated pool is pretty remote. However, the rules are the rules and I do feel they should be respected. We have taken our young children (non-toilet trained) on several cruises. Swim diapers were allowed on Disney (when we went) but not on Celebrity. Yes, we were disappointed that she could not swim in the pools but for me "breaking the rules" did not cross my mind. Instead we took her to the beach and let her swim in the ocean.

alison
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Cassie-

OKay this is for everyone out there claiming that kids are going to piss or poop in the pool.I have worked for a pool cleaning company here in Michigan since 1995.....thats 8 years. I have seen alot of Poops in my time and I can tell you that 90% of them could not have come from a child (god help em if it did) Yes kids have accidents, but its the disease carrying adults you have to worry about. When a kid poops it's usually in a swim diaper. When an adult poops they let that baby float. Beleive me the adult is going to cause more polution than the child. I understand if you don't want the kids in the pools due to the kids acting like kids...but don't make em sound like nasty little things when it is us adult that are truly the germ dispencers that some of you fear!