Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Default cruising with a toddler

We are planning to take our first cruise the week after Christmas. We are going with another family. We have 6 children between us. We have the two youngest 2 and 4 years old. How is cruising with a toddler? Is it relaxing? Do they feel left out because they can not do what the older sibs and children are doing? Any tips or pointers would help. We have not made definite plans yet, but we need to decide this week.

Thanks Rachel
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: cruising with a toddler

It would seem to me that the toddlers experience and enjoyment would be based on what the parents include them in and how they interact with the same group of children ashore and on the ship.. If the child receives his/her fair share of attention from parents and siblings, there is no reason why he/she will not have a good time. No different than when you are home.
Old July 10th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: cruising with a toddler

Dear Rachel:
We are about to take our toddler (22 months) on his 3rd cruise. So far, so good! Toddlers love just wandering around the ship, checking everything out. If you want a cruise line that takes toddlers, check out Disney Cruise Line. They have a nursery for those 6 weeks to 3 years (fee for the hours you reserve for your child to stay there). My son went a number of times when he was a baby and it was a good experience.
For those two years and over, Carnival and Norwegian Cruise Line have youth programs that start at two years old. All the others are three years or more.
Cruises are great because you get to see many places yet kids get to stay in a familiar environment, with the same bed each night. And you only have to unpack once!
Feel free to ask add'l Qs.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old July 18th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Passenger

I cruised with my toddler in June. He cried when his big sister entered the childrens program and left him behind. He saw all the fun things inside and pined for them. We kept him busy with swimming, exploring, game playing etc. As long as he could cruise around he was fine I never felt dragged down. He came with us on all of our shore excursions.
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Luisa

Just returned from my toddler's fourth cruise. He loves exploring the ships' public rooms and going in the splash pool. No regrets taking him along!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:05 PM
adriana

Default Re: Re: Re: cruising with a toddler

I'll be cruising soon on RC explorer. I'm taking my 18 mo. old for the first time. He normally sleeps great (all night) when he's at the hotels in the cribs/playpens they provide. How are the cribs in cruises? Especially since the rooms are so small. And how are they normally with the shifting of the boat. Also, I'm concerned on what to do if he gets sea sick.

Thanks,

Mrs. Worrywart ; )
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:10 PM
adriana

I'll be cruising soon on RC explorer. I'm taking my 18 mo. old for the first time. He normally sleeps great (all night) when he's at the hotels in the cribs/playpens they provide. How are the cribs in cruises? Especially since the rooms are so small. And how are they normally with the shifting of the boat. Also, I'm concerned on what to do if he gets sea sick.

Thanks,

Mrs. Worrywart ; )
Old August 6th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Luisa

Adriana:
We have taken our almost two year old on four cruises and he hasn't gotten seasick yet. THe cribs are often pack and plays and seem to work well. Make sure you ask the reservation agent if the crib will fit in the room. We had a problem with this on a recent cruise. (Make sure you reserve a crib at the time of your booking.)
RCI offers private babysitting (for a fee) for those over one year old. We did this one night and the woman who babysat my son was very lovely.
Hope this helps.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old August 27th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: cruising with a toddler

Luisa:

We are taking our 11 month old on a cruise and expect to do some of the shore excursions. Should we bring our car seat along for the bus rides, and what do we do with the car seat when we get to Disney or other venues. Do you think we can leave it on the bus?
Old August 28th, 2003, 10:03 AM
adriana

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: cruising with a toddler

We've read within this same forum about a portable carseat that you can take with you in your baby bag! I just ordered it for a cruise we'll be taking on RCL this saturday. I've searched the internet to see if it's safe and the majority of the reviews so far recommend it (as long as it's not for long trips - the baby is very uncomfortable falling asleep in it as there's not much support for leaning their head). I've heard wonderful things about the disney cruise from several of my friends that have gone over and over. I haven't been on it but certainly plan to in the near future. We are Disney World veterans and have taken our toddler at 6 and 12 months. Each time he's enjoyed it more and more. Disney provides strollers at every park and there is only a one time fee per day even if you go to more than one park per day. My little one's favorites: the characters (especially dining with them at the crystal palace at magic kingdom), all the parades, pooh's adventure at MK, it's a small world at MK (both times it-rocked him to sleep) and best of all was the lion king show at Animal Kingdom. If you're going to be there till closing, don't miss either MK or Epcot's fireworks show and especially the electric light parade (my son was totally in awe). The best place to watch the fireworks show at MK is behind the castle (not in front of it where the crowds usually are). And, finally, every park has a Carnation Baby Center where you could warm up the milk, change the baby, rock the baby and buy any baby supplies you might have forgotten or not brought enough of (like formula and diapers). The one mistake we made was taking our little one to: the it's tough to be a bug show at Animal Kingdom, the 3-D show at Epcot - Honey I shrunk the audience, and the ride annex to it (I think it's Imagination - there's and explosion where everything gets dark and something shoots air with water- very scary for him!). Well, I would be glad to answer any questions you might have about the parks. The most memorable time we have ever had at Disney is the time we took our son when he was one year old. And we've both been going since we were babies ourselves!
Old September 1st, 2003, 06:09 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cruising with a toddler

Unfortunately, even Disney busses don't have seat belts to attach your car seat to! It's amazing in this day and age that busses aren't req'd to have seat belts!
Thus, you'll have to store your car seat below the bus or in your hotel or ship cabin. We usually ask the cabin steward to store the car seat in a closet during the cruise so that we have more room in our stateroom.
Disney is great with little ones. Did you read the article I wrote on this site about Disney's magical nursery? My son did very well there last year when he was 7 months old.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor