Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2003, 05:48 PM
AngieTX

Default Taking the kids 12/03..which line????

Our first cruise was on RCCL last July- LOVED IT!
We are planning on going again over/around Christmas with our children, ages 3 and 9.
Just wondering which line would suit us all best... RCCL or NCL.... I am apprehensive about Carnival...don't really know why, but the prices seem so cheap that it worries me.
Any opinions would be great...especially if you have been on both lines. Thanks!
Angie :-)
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:04 PM
SSinCT

Default Re: Taking the kids 12/03..which line????

Why not the Disney Magic? We are going this coming weekend. From everyone I know and heard it gets rave reviews for adults and children. Just a thought. I would probably avoid Carnival - it is usually not an upscale brand - hence the pricing.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Taking the kids 12/03..which line????

If you loved RCI, you will like one of the newer Carnival ships. Their childrens' program is great. We have sailed the Pride and Legend. Yes, you will find good values and their cabins are bigger for 4 of you. After 10 cruises and thinking no way was I cruise material for Carnival, I am happy to say that I was wrong. As grandparents, we watch the kids and how happy and entertained they are. Carnival gets my vote. Avoid NCL unless you like chaos and more fees for dining.
Bon voyage
Old July 24th, 2003, 11:18 AM
mlgood

Default Re: Re: Re: Taking the kids 12/03..which line????

Carnival cruises are excellent with or without kids. We have been on four Carnival cruises with our kids starting when they were 3 & 5 (old ships and new). Our last cruise was with Royal Caribbean when they were 8 & 10 and they had a wonderful time there also. I don't care what anyone says. Those two lines are extremely comparable. A bit more night life on Carnival but the crowds were much the same. Cabins are definitely larger on Carnival but RC was fine also. Food quality very similar. The prices are very comparable between the two lines also. Take the best deal you can find on either line and your kids will have a superb time. Disney's great but it's a great deal more costly. If you can swing it you'd all enjoy that one too. We personally take the best deal we can find on a ship that has a great kids program. All three of these do. We are booked on Carnival Victory in November and aren't worried in the least about Carnival.
Old July 24th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Taking the kids 12/03..which line????

i would definately look at the Voyager class of ships from Royal Caribbean - lots and lots to do.
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taking the kids 12/03..which line????

I'm the family cruise editor here. I just got off NCL's Norwegian Star and we loved it. We have a toddler and a nine year old. The ship sails Hawaii (7 days) and is very family friendly (great kids' pool/slide area). NCL has Freestyle cruising which means you can dine where and when you please. Some of the restaurants, however, do charge an extra fee for them (but they were well worth it). The children's program was good, especially for those 9 and under.
Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships are also an excellent choice for families. There is so much to do (rock wall, ice rink, mini golf, etc.) and the youth program is tops.
Let me know what you decide!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob
Default Re: Taking the kids 12/03..which line????

Carnival is awesome. The Carnival Pride was awesome. That was my 3rd carnival cruise. Im 15 and there was always something for me to do on all of the carnival cruises i've taken. The rooms are alot bigger compared to the older RCI ships. like 185 sq.ft compared to 125 sq. feet regular outside room. The voyager class rooms are bigger, but still not as big as carnivals. Unless you want to pay like twice as much for a superior, larger, etc.. that RCI has. All carnivals rooms are the same, inside, outside, balcony. Just the suites are larger, duh... I actually ask my parents to book carnival, its a blast. Go on a newer one, there more sophisticated and decorated more nicely.

Rob