Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2003, 01:17 AM
duane desiderio

Default Greece and Turkey with an 8-year old?

Next year I'd like to take my 8-year old son on a cruise that both of us would find interesting and exotic. The Carribean and Hawaii seem tame, but we're interested in a bit more adventure. We're leaning toward Greece and Turkey. Does anyone have any experience of taking a family cruise to the eastern Mediterranean? I don't want Kyle to be bored stiff, and am hoping that a healthy dose of culture/history along with the thrill of a cruise with other kids would do the trick.

Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Greece and Turkey with an 8-year old?

I'm the family cruise editor. A cruise to Greece and Turkey sounds great with your child, however I wasn't sure if your child is an experienced traveler. If your child is used to long plane flights, going on tours, etc., then I think it'll be a positive experience. If not, you may want to wait a few years until they are ready for it. (Read the article
I wrote on this site called, "Can your kids do Europe?") Many of the big ports in Europe are a long drive from the main cities (Rome, Florence, etc.) which may be too much for your child to handle. However, many of the Greek islands do have ports accessible to beaches and main towns.
On the other hand, I just returned yesterday from NCL's Norwegian Star in Hawaii and it was a great family cruise. Lots to do on land, ranging from snorkeling, to exploring volcanoes, etc. and the Star is a very family friendly ship.
Let me know what you decide.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor