Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Passenger

Default quick question

I have been advised that the higher up you are on a ship, the more likely you are to get seasick. I also know, or at least think, that the larger the ship, the less motion you will feel due to its weight. In order to get a great promotion price, I needed to book on a pretty high up level on the Grand Princess, 109,000 tons. In fact, it is as high as you can get, mid ship. Do you think on this ship that you will really notice the motion more on the top then you would on the bottom? Or do you think because of the size of this ship that it doesn't really make a difference where I am at?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: quick question

Hi Rns,
Just about any cabin would be fine, like you mentioned, the ship is so big you hardly feel any movement, so go ahead and book that cabin. Its true, more mid-ship is even less moving, but the higher up, you also feel it more than lower. I've never had a problem on any of these size ships.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 6th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

The higher up you go, the more you will feel the motion, even if you are in the middle of the ship.

Old August 6th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: quick question

Is it really that much of a difference though between the lower decks and the ones up top? I was on the Carnival Destiny, one deck lower than I will be this time and didn't feel a thing. Of course we had the smoothest seas. How are the seas in the Western Caribbean? I am really nervous, but my husband wanted to save the money and I don't blame him. We could use it towards spending money instead. I just am worried my time might be ruined from seasickness. I can always wear the patch. It has worked on all cruises except my last, aboard the Nordic Empress (47,000 tons, very small) to Bermuda from New York. I was sick and my cabin was the second to lowest floor, midship. Of course, the seas were nasty.
Old August 6th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: quick question

Which big ships have yuo been on and how high up were your cabins?
Old August 6th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: quick question

Generally the nicer cabins are higher up on the ship, even though you may feel the motion more. However, with such a big ship you won't feel it as much as a small ship unless you're in the midst of a tropical storm or something,.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old August 7th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question

reality is that you are on a moving, floating vessel, that moves no matter what. The movement is MINIMAL - the ships have great stabalizers - i would book the great rate, and bring some ginger pills, ginger candy , ginger cookies and your patch just in case you run into a tropical storm. The Caribbean is very, very calm.
Old August 7th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question

If I have the patch on, can I have the ginger candy as well if I still start to feel ill? I know if I hit a storm, I will probably get sick no matter where I am. I was just curious how I would be in the normal seas of the Western Caribbean. I also do not want to mix medicines so I was wondering about that Ginger stuff. Where can I find that?

Thanks.
Old August 7th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question

if you wear the patch and you feel that "feeling" coming on, grab a glass of ginger ale a piece of ginger candy or a couple of ginger cookies. I honestly don't think you will need the added protection of the ginger pills if you have the patch, that's almost equivalent to double dosing on your meds. The Caribbean is very, very calm, very smooth, the only time it gets rough is in a storm. Don't worry - wear the patch, don't take it off just because you are feeling great, i had a friend who did that, she was feeling so good, figured that she didn't need the patch anymore and took it off .= big mistake she got really sea-sick and was miserable for the entire evening until she put the patch back on, but it takes like 4 hours or something like that for it to work.
Old August 7th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question

Lisa, you have been a great help!! Thanks very much. I would never think of taking the patch off just because I felt great. I don't want to risk it. I do just have one more quetion for you. Can I get Ginger cookies and Ginger candy at my local foodstore? Thanks again.
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question

I've seen ginger cookies at our local grocery store (walmart) in the cookies aisle. I believe they are in a box and they are called ginger snaps...

Old August 8th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question

and you can get the candy - i like the crystalized ginger candy in the candy aisle.
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:28 AM
CruiseCactus

It's not the size that makes the difference, it's the stabilizers. And, yes the the lower and more midship you are the less motion you feel. However, with the larger ships you don't feel that much motion anyway unless you hit really rough seas.
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question

Funny thing is, now that you say Ginger Snaps, I think i have them in my cabinet already. I had no clue those things would help with seasickness feeling. Wow, did I learn something today.