Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:24 AM
evie

Default seasick children

I am thinking about taking two of my grandchildren on a cruise. My grandaughter who will be 10 gets motions sickness in a car. As adults we have derminine, patches, etc. to take. What do you parents/grandparents do with children who are prone to motion sickness. Do you give them anything before the ship sails or do you wait until they get sick? Or should I not even consider taking the kids on a cruise? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: seasick children

Evie, please take your grandchildern with you on your next cruise. My dear friend has a young son (6) who has severe motion sickness, she got the patch for him, he wore it all the time and he did great on the ship. The patch is a preventative - waiting until they get sick it too late. I would also think about bringing some ginger candy or ginger cookies - great remedy for sea-sickness just in case for those who might get a little bit of the queezies.
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: seasick children

Also, if you are nervous about giving them the patch, you can always cut it in half or in quarters. Just please wash your hands really well afterwards before touching anything, especially your eyes. If you touch yuor eyes, it can casue dilation and blurred vision. Other than that, they will be fine. You must put it on 4 hours prior to sailing for it to take effect.

As for the Ginger candy and pills, are they to be used before you start feeling ill, or do you take them once you actually start to feel sick?
Old August 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM
evie

Default Re: Re: Re: seasick children

Thank you for the good advice. I thought the children were too young for the patch. Will talk to my doctor about it. And I won't forget about the ginger cookies & pills.

thanks again for your help.
Old August 7th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Admiral

My granddaughter got motion sick regularly in a car. We tried using sea bands with her and they have worked miracles. She calls them her majic bands and will not let you put her in the car without them on her. They are simple to use, cheap and do not involve medication. Certainly something you should be trying with the grandchildren, cruise or no cruise. They are available in childrens size at any major drug store chain in the same place you would find Bonine or dramamine.
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Admiral

i have heard good stories about the sea-bands also. I would give the seabands and the patch a "trial run" before the cruise to see which works better . As for the ginger candy/cookies - munch at the first sign of any queeziness. Most important - get outside into the fresh air if you feel it coming on. Do not go back to your stateroom, ginger ale works really well also. You will pretty much see me with a glass of ginger ale all during the cruise, especially the first day or two.
Old August 7th, 2003, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Can the patch or sea band be put on a child for the plane ride to Florida? We have about a 2-3 hour plane ride, then by the time we get on the ship its about 5 hours. So can we put the patch on at home? And do you leave it on all week or change it everyday? Where do you get these patches and are they safe for all ages?

Thanks so much for all the great info!

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old August 7th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: seasick children

hi!! The patch is available by prescription only, but only costs about $10 for four of them. You need to place it on 4 hours prior to the plane or the cruise as it takes that long to start to work. Then, it stays on for 3 days. On the third day, you would need to apply another one.

I use them all the time and they irritate my skin pretty bad. I end up with a red lump behind my ear where it was placed that itches for weeks after, but it still keeps me from getting seasick. Some people get dry mouth, blurred vision and other things so check with your doctor and maybe even look online for the side effect.

You can definitely put it on at hme before the plane and then just keep it there for the 3 days. I find that the patch is the only thing that works for me, but that is just me. I believe they are safe for all ages, but the doctor may recommend that you use half of one for a child rather than a whole one. remeber, wash your hands before touching your eyes or anything else after applying it.

As for the bands, if you are talking about the ones that go on your wrist with the little ball that goes in your arm (kind of), you can use them on the plane, ship, car, whereever whenever. I hope this helps!!
Old August 7th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Seabands are really nothing more than a cotton/elastic wristband with tiny balls built in that are placed strategically over your pulse points. The effect is a bio/mechanical one not a medicated one. They can be worn any time and for any length of time.
The patch contains scopalimine.that is absorbed through the skin (like the patch for smoking contains nicotine absorbed through the skin.
Your doctor won't prescribe it if it is not right for you or your child or grandchild.
I'd really give the seabands a try as they are quite benign to wear and would be the easy way to deal with the problem if they work. My granddaughter has worn them since age two in the car. There is also a bit of psycology going on as she knows them as her "majic bands" to keep her from getting sick.
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to BambiRumsey Send a message via MSN to BambiRumsey

I wore the bands when I was pregnant and they worked for morning sickness.....

The Rite Aid near me carries Dramamine in a chewable form that does not taste horrible (orange flavor). There is dosing information on the box and they can be given to children as young as age 2.

I am taking my four year old daughter on her first cruise in about a month. I am the daughter of a merchant marine and am blessed with sea legs and hope she will be the same. Like me she enjoys lots of wild rides at amusement parks so I hope it is an indication that she will not get sea sick. BUT if she does, I plan to have the dramamine handy.

Thanks for the tips about the ginger snaps and ginger ale - I'll try to keep that handy as well!
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: seasick children

My daughters both have their sea legs but it didn't stop either of them from getting their first dose of (and so far only) seasickness. My older girl got seasick on a Premier cruise out of New York harbor several years ago. She was about 6. The poor thing was miserable for about 24 hours My 7 year old got seasick on the QE2 during our transatlantic crossing in July 2004. The ship had quite a hobble for two days with so many people getting seasick that they gave out pills to young and old alike. My daughter was given phenergen, which is for nausea, and it put her to sleep; she woke up feeling fine. Many people swear by the ginger. In fact, several cruiselines have bowls of ginger outside the restaurants, just for that purpose. I've seen numerous children wearing the wrist bands. I say don't talk about the possibility of seasickness to the child. Don't mention it and it might not happen. Ships are so much larger and more stable than cars anyway. BambiRumsey wrote:

> I wore the bands when I was pregnant and they worked for
> morning sickness.....
>
> The Rite Aid near me carries Dramamine in a chewable form that
> does not taste horrible (orange flavor). There is dosing
> information on the box and they can be given to children as
> young as age 2.
>
> I am taking my four year old daughter on her first cruise in
> about a month. I am the daughter of a merchant marine and am
> blessed with sea legs and hope she will be the same. Like me
> she enjoys lots of wild rides at amusement parks so I hope it
> is an indication that she will not get sea sick. BUT if she
> does, I plan to have the dramamine handy.
>
> Thanks for the tips about the ginger snaps and ginger ale -
> I'll try to keep that handy as well!

Old September 14th, 2003, 06:26 PM
vactionhappy

I have a daughter who is prone to seasickness. Her doctor recommended that we put her in the pool when she felt queasy. We only had to do it once but it worked like a charm!
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Luisa

Never heard the one about the pool but glad to hear it worked! I'll keep that in mind!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor