Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Davina

Default Belize and Roatan with Children

I was a little nervous taking our 2 kids to Belize and Roatan. Grand Cayman and Cozmel I new would be fine. To my surprise my families favorite ports....Belize and Roatan. You "must" have a plan in these ports before you arrive. I hope this review helps other parents like me a little nervous about taking little ones to foreign places.

Belize-Water taxi to Caye Caulker. $15 round trip, children 1/2 price. 45 minute boat ride. At Caye Caulker we went to "the point". Cemented in area of the ocean water about 2 feet deep. 4 year old could play all day. If you went over the cement wall and swim about 10 feet great sandbars. You could walk for miles in the most beautiful clear water. (8 year old loved it!!!) You can pick up starfish and snorkel. They have a little bar with cheap snacks and drinks. Loved our time there!!! Many passengers back on board said "No beach in Belize, nothing to do". We new better. P.S. Great watermelon and papaya.

Roatan-Go past the fence. It is a little intimidating all these vendors waiting behind this chain link fence for you to come across. We found the people happy to have you there. Water clear as could be. A few passangers snorkeled right in the harbor. We went to Tabayan Beach with the cruise ship. Only way to enjoy that beach because security guards keep out anyone who wanted to wander in. Free lemonade or iced tea, $2 hot dogs, great snorkeling. If you don't want to go on a tour another family took a private taxi to West End Beach. Getting to both beaches takes you on a tour of the island and jungle. (Take bug spray for mosquitos) Very relaxing fun day at the beach!!!.

P.S. Helpful hint. We brought our own life jacket ($15 at Target) for our 4 year old. Felt totally comfortable him playing at any beach. He also held my hand while I snorkeled. Just get them used to the life jacket before you go on your trip. Well worth the money and packing space.
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Belize and Roatan with Children

Dear Davina:
Thanks for the details. It's a help to all of us!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor