Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2003, 01:17 PM
guehos

Default small children on carnival

I am taking my two children (ages 7 & 18 months) on a carnival cruise next July, but all of my family thinks that I am crazy to bring my youngest. They all think it will be too much work. They also think that my oldest is also going to be bored. Personally, I think I'll be fine. I'm not going on a cruise to snorkel or scuba dive; which my children can't do anyway, I'm going to have fun with my family. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some positive feedback about taking children this young!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2003, 02:19 PM
Luisa

Default Re: small children on carnival

I'm the family cruise editor here. We've taken our 23 month old on four cruises and each one was better than the other! (His 10 year old sister has been on 14 cruises!)
Is your toddler 18 months now? (Meaning that he/she will be over 2 years old by the time of your cruise?) Carnival is a good choice since they offer their youth program for kids two years and over and the counselors change diapers. Their youth program offers many fun family activities that you can all partake in. I'm glad to hear that you are cruising with your kids. Feel free to ask me any add'l q's.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old September 1st, 2003, 04:16 PM
emindc

Default Re: small children on carnival

We just got back from a Western Caribbean cruise with our nearly-three-year-old on the Carnival Paradise (later I hope to post a message with some other observations). We thought the Camp Carnival program was wonderful and he had a great time -- I cannot say enough great things about it! We took him on all our shore excursions and he was fine. My only hesitation in recommending this for others is that if your child is particularly active and energetic (mine REALLY IS!), the ship is not a particularly hospitable environment because there is really nowhere for him to run and play, and of course all the public areas are crowded so when he dashed off he would usually run into somebody (if any of you folks are reading this, sorry again). Also, I'm sure the railings on all the decks were perfectly safe, but my husband and I still almost had heart failure every time he ran off toward one of them.

You know your child best, and if he or she is not inclined to be so active, I am sure it will be fine. I think the older one will have a great time with all the Camp Carnival activities and shore excursions. Have fun.

-Liz