Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:44 AM
LK123

Default How do we arrange private babysitting?

We are taking our 2nd Celebrity cruise this Nov, on the Millie, with our 20 month old daughter. This will be her first cruise.

We know she cant be in the kids programs (and to tell you the truth, I'm a stay at home mom, so I just couldnt stand to leave her behind anyhow!) and we're just planning on taking her on the shore excursions (she's a real busy girl, so she'll enjoy all the sights)

We REALLY enjoy the formal nites on board Celebrity ships and want to do them this time. We were thinking about taking those nights off to ourselves, to get a babysitter and then not worry about our daughter at all. We're obviously concerned about her sitting for a full 2 hour meal each nite when she barely sits still for 30 minute meals at home!

Do we just let our room steward know that we want a babysitter? And do we have to have cash available to pay her each time we use one? We're a bit nervous about that!

Finally, for those who've travelled with infants & younger toddlers, did they adjust to sleeping onboard okay? I wish we didnt have to sleep w/her right next to us, but we did get a larger room with a balcony so we could have a bit more space!
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Passenger

Default Re: How do we arrange private babysitting?

We took our then-17 month old on the Rhapsody last year. We used a babysitter every night from 8pm-midnight. She was a young woman from Costa Rica - and she was WONDERFUL, we immediately liked her.

You need to book babysitting at the Pursuer's Desk as soon as you get on board. The babysitters are members of the Housekeeping staff. You can't get one for the first night.

FYI - we did late seating and had our daughter asleep every night before the babysitter came so she never even met her! (we fed our daughter in the Windjammer early and we just had a drink) She slept great because of the rocking of the ship I guess, and the exhaustion from all of the fun!

It was great because we had a nice relaxing dinner every night, and since our daughter was asleep anyway we did not feel guilty. And the babysitters are REALLY good with kids, my daughter loved her when we saw her during the day around the ship.
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor here. YEs, you should go to the guest relations/purser desk as soon as you board to book babysitting, to ensure that you get the nights you want. We've had baby sitters on RCI too and they were great. We too bring our kids to explore in port which I think is a great experience for them.
Let me know how your cruise goes upon y our return!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey GAynor
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:54 AM
christine fischer

We took our then 20 month old daughter on Celebrity's Infinity and were very pleased w/ the in-cabin sitter service. We were advised ahead of time to see the pursur ASAP to book as there are only a limited number of sitters available. We booked the same sitter every night for the minimum 3 hr time block. We ordered room service for her and took turns getting ready while she ate. We then went to dinner and a show w/out her each night. We paid the sitter each night when we returned to the cabin. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to tip on top of the $8/hr fee so on the last night we gave her some extra cash.

The sitter was a nice woman who had several children of her own. My daughter cried when we left each night but was asleep when we returned from the show which was kind of nice... There was evidence that they had played together while we were out and occassionally (w/ my permission) the sitter would stroller her around the ship for some fresh air.

I too can't leave my kids at home while I cruise but also want some time alone to be grown up. I found the sitter service to be the perfect solution. We now have two kids and will be cruising Celebrity again this spring. The baby will be with the sitter and the toddler can either go to the kids program or stay w/ the sitter while we have dinner.

Good luck!
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Does anyone know about babysitting for toddlers on Princess Cruises? The cruise brochure says no private babysitting is available on-board....

Thanks!
Debi
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Yes Debi - you are right - there is no private babysitting on Princess so if you child is under 3 they will not have any kids programs they can participate in nor babysitting.
Really suggest to go with RCI or Celebrity if you have kids under 3 for this reason.
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:13 AM
spack

Default Re: Re: How do we arrange private babysitting?

I will be taking a 21 month old on Explorer in 4 days. The private baby sitting- is it in your stateroom and how much does it cost? It would be great to enjoy the dining room a couple of night. Thanks for you input.
Old January 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Luisa

YEs, the private babysitting for RCI is in your cabin only. The main desk can tell you the hourly fee and reserve a sitter for you. It is definitely worth it and I felt very comfortable with the sitter we got.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor