Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:41 AM
dayna

Default bed rail for toddler

I was wondering if Carnival provides any type of bed rail for the upper and lower berths. On Disney my son slept in the upper and it had a rail. My daughter was 2 and slept in a pack and play. This cruise she will be in the lower berth, but has a bed rail at home. Will Canival provide one, should i pack one or do you think she will be alright without one.
Thanks,
Dayna
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Luisa

Default Re: bed rail for toddler

There are generally only small bed rails on the upper berths but not the lower ones. On one of my daughter's first cruises when she was three years old, I woke during the night to find her fast asleep on the floor after she had fallen out of the lower berth! (Didn't seem to bother her!) AFter that, I brought along our collapsible bed rail -- I found one that collapses enough so you can fit it into a large suitcase. I figured I'd sleep better knowing that my daughter wouldn't land up on the floor!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: bed rail for toddler

Yes, the bed rails on Carnival are too small to keep a small child from rolling out of bed. I brought two of the collapsable bed rails for my sons (aged 2 and 4 at that time) and they worked well, the kids slept in the upper berths. We had the littlest one in the berth above our bed and I watched him until he fell asleep for naps and at night because once he was asleep the portable bedrails kept him in. One time he woke up from a nap and almost landed in our bed but since I was so close in the bed below I was able to catch him before he got out of his bed.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM
MeganS

Default Re: bed rail for toddler

You could try tucking the sheet and blanket in under the mattress on the outside edge for the lower berth - this may be enough to keep your daughter from rolling out. I do this at home with my 5-yr. old in his "big bed". And then you wouldn't need to lug the rail along.
I wouldn't trust just that for an upper berth though. We just returned from the Celebrity Century, and my sons, 3 & 5, did really well in the upper berths with the built in rails. Our room steward put an extra sheet around the rail so it was almost solid. The only thing that fell on me one night was a teddy bear.