Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default cribs

Somebody probably already asked this question, are there cribs available? if yes, do we request them now or on the ship?

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Default Re: cribs

We are sailing on the Carnival Conquest Sunday, Nov. 30. We requested a crib when we booked and they said they would have it set up and ready. I don't know if it's a crib/port-a-crib/playpen? But we'll be back Dec. 7 and could let you know.
Old November 29th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I believe you need to request the crib in advance.

Old November 29th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: cribs

thanks for your replies.

Chad: how old is your child?

We're taking a 2 and a 5 year old.

Carnival Victory
Jan 18/04
Old December 1st, 2003, 12:56 AM
christine fischer

I've gone on Carnival and Celebrity with a baby and request the crib in advance. In both instances the cruise line provided a port a crib. They made it up with a regular bed sheet and provided a full size pillow. By the time my daughter was two I had her sleep on the fold out couch.
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:52 AM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor here. You definitely have to request a crib ahead of time. THey vary between pack 'n play and the small sized cribs that you get in hotels.
Since you're traveling with a toddler, you may want to read the article I wrote on this section called "Bringing the Baby" which gives helpful hints on packing diapers, etc for infants and toddlers.
Let me know if you have any add'l questions. My two year old has been on four cruises and all have been positive experiences -- just make sure you adjust your expectations prior to the cruise. This won't be a lie-in-the-sun vacation like they were pre-cruise, but it'll be fun family time together in lovely surroundings.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Ok, we just got back from the Conquest...great time! The crib was a metal port-a-crib, pretty nice. Our room steward set it up and put a regular sheet on it for us. My daughter is 13 months old. I would think that a two year old would take up just about the whole space in the crib. We had a floor to ceiling slanted window on the spa deck, so the way the curtain hung, there was room to put the crib on one side of it and us on the other. (I wanted to hide sometimes until she fell asleep so I wasn't distracting her.) -before I went I thought I was going to have to hide from her in the bathroom.) : )
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:22 PM
jcbmommy

Do you know what the dimensions of the crib were?

When I called Celebrity they gave me dimensions of 36" by 24"....well my son is 32" and 25 pounds at 13 months.....it seemed a bit small.
Old December 13th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Yeoman

On our Carnival cruise we aked the steward to put the mattress on the floor for our 2 year old as the crib was TOO small and the bed to high( we didn't bring a bed rail) . the steward did this and it worked out fine!
Old December 15th, 2003, 03:36 PM
jcbmommy

Ok. That's what I was was thinking....I have a collapsable bed rail....so I think I'll bring that. The little guy will probably sleep with me in the big bed and daddy can have one of the couches..... I'll need the bed rail though when I'm not in the bed.

We are in the Family Cabin on the Mercury....and the set up is pretty good. I'm very glad that I sailed the same cabin on the Century so I know what to expect.
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Yeoman

You do need to request the cribs ahead of time, and as a side note, we also requested a high chair just be to sure. RCCL had portable cribs (we brought our own just in case since Ive seen some scary stuff in hotels). My son is now too big for the portable cribs and setting up a sofa bed takes up a lot of cabin space. Plus there is the risk of him rolling out of it. I found inflatable sleeping bags (Wiggles, Bob the Builder, I think Barbie) on the Toys-r-Us web site for around $30 (our local store didnt have them yet). It comes with a carry case / shoulder strap and a small hand pump. Now during the day we can store it away saving space and theres no risk of roll-outs! And down the road hes got a great sleeping bag for slumber parties and camping! Wish I had one growing up!
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:32 PM
TokyoRose

Just an extra thought here. You might want to take one of your own crib sheets with you. Your child is quite used to your detergent at home and it would be a major PITA to have them have a reaction. Ours always folded up pretty small so it didn't take up any extra room. Plus they have some comfort and smells from home in their crib away from home.