Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Kathy Sylvester

Default Family Cruise

We are in the planning stages of a family cruise in the middle of July. We have two couples ages ranging from 46 - 53, a 78-year old mom, and a 15and 18 year old. My husband and I have been on 4 RCL cruises and really enjoyed it. However, RCL's prices are a little bit too high this time around. We have gotten really good prices for the Carnival Glory and Caribbean Princess. We want to be able to choose the one that will give the teenagers enough to do, but not be inundated by children (maybe on Carnival), but we also don't want to be on cruise with only "older"people. We are swaying toward the Princess because it is a brand new ship. Having been previous RCL cruisers,would the Princess be the better choice?
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Family Cruise

I vote Princess simply because you seem to feel Princess caters to an older crowd and WE ARE NOT OLD and we loved it!! Carnival is just a little to rowdy for us, we like fun , but we think a summer cruise on Carnivlal will be FILLED with kids! On Princess they limit how many kids go on each sailing so it's never swamped with kids. They are still a fun upbeat line with out the frat house atmoshere, plus they have beautiful freshwater pools and hot tubs that are open 24 hrs!!
Old January 12th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Kathy SYlvester

Default Re: Re: Family Cruise

Thanks much. We have also talked to a couple of other people and have decided on the Caribbean Princess. Now we just have to decide on the date!
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Admiral

i know you will love Princess. The Caribbean Princess sounds like a great ship. We have sailed Princess twice before and are going on the Golden in February. Have sailed on Carnival and prefer Princess hands-down.
Old January 12th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Luisa

I'm going on a family cruise in late April aboard the Caribbean Princess so you'll see a very detailed article about the ship, youth program, etc. on this site in May.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 20th, 2004, 03:17 PM
tigger1

Default Re: Re: Family Cruise

Hello Luisa. I've e-mailed you before about the Splendour of the Seas.....is there any other info. you can give us with regards to our cruise.....we will be heading out of Tampa 7 night Western Carib. about 15 of us......one 10 year old (the youngest) two 19 year olds, and then the rest of us ranging from 34-65.......
How's the food? The superior staterooms w/balcony? The crew? and do they charge extra for exercise classes? Coffee...I've heard many cruise ships only offer coffee with meals? What about in-between or all the time?

How is the youth program on Splendour? The more detailed info. you can give the better....we really look forward to hearing anyone and everyone's experiences on the Splendour..........

PS our itinerary is as follows: St. George's Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Belize......tips, suggestions for excursions (especially for horseback riding with a 10 year old), packing, planning etc... anything we'll appreciate it all............Thanks all and thanks Luisa.

Tigger1
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:01 PM
Luisa

Hi Tigger:
I can't give you all the answers to your Q's (such as the one about coffee, etc.), however here are a few details:
RCI's youth and teen progam is great. My daughter's been on 15 cruises and thinks RCI's is the best. Fun youth/teen counselors, very active activities, good kid-friendly facilities (rock walls), etc.
You should be happy with your balcony stateroom -- it's great to be able to sit outside and hear/see the ocean when you're sailing. It's the best!
RCI staff are generally very friendly and efficient. We just got a Christmas card from one of the staff that we met on an RCI cruise in Sept! We were surprised he remembered us!
Food is good -- not the best at sea nor not the worst either. There is excellent variety at the lunch buffets. I can't remember if that ship has an alternative Italian restaurant as some of the newest RCI ships do -- if so, it's worth the add'l $$$ to eat there. Fabulous!
I hope this helps. You're sure to have a great time!
Luisa
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Family Cruise

Hi
In your research on RCI Splendour, have you found info on the restaurants/Snack Shacks. I've not found which ones are open 24 hours a day, besides room service. I'd like to know that if the 4 teens (16-18) are hungry at 2 am they can eat if they're wandering the ship.
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Luisa

I'm not sure there are any 24 hour eateries on that ship other than room service. I know that Princess has a 24 hour buffet but RCI doesn't, except for on some of the newest ships.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Kathy Sylvester

Just for an update, we have changed our minds again. We are now sailing on RCI's Navigator this summer. We wanted to be on the BIGGEST ship. Besides my husband and I have already taken 4 other RCI cruises.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:46 AM
Luisa

Navigator has the most extensive teen facilities at sea so I think it's a great choice for your family!
Best,
Luisa