Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM
mommyof2

Default what to do?

I have read that kids who are not potty trained are not allowed in the pools, kiddie one included. What am I to do about letting my daughter swim but not my son? There is no way to explain that to a 2 1/2 year old. I wish they would have told me when I booked the cruise. Did anyone else need to deal with this? Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Default Re: what to do?

This is what you do, put the swim diapers on underneath a pair of regular swim trunks so it looks like your son just has swim trunks on. Don't make a big deal out of it. Just let him splash around in the kidde pool.
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:59 PM
mommyof2

That's what I am going to have to do. Thanks.
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Asealady

Swim diapers are against the rules too. What makes you think you have the right to ignore them?
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM
mommyof2

Asealady: You try explaining to a 2 1/2 year old that he cannot go swimming but his sister can. I can see from your other posts on other topics that you are the "Deck Chair Police" and also the "Pool Police". Maybe you should get a job as a receptionist with NCL to make sure you list all the rules of the ship before the customer books his cruise. Maybe had it been clear to me I would have second guessed a cruise. Swim diapers do not leak and his bathingsuit has a plastic liner in it. You will not be swimming in the kiddie pool on my cruise so please myob!
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Asealady

It is my business when the rules are not followed. It is not my policy, but NCL's policy. Yes, I agree it is tough to tell a 2yr old he cant do something. Or you tell him, he has to be potty trained. But, my health and fellow passenger's health is more important than your un potty trained son going in a pool. What about the other children's health. PLUS, you are not following the rules. Why should you break them. I dont police pools or deck chairs on my cruises. You dont know me to say anything like that. When I see a baby or young child in a pool that is wearing a diaper, I go up to the parent and tell them. I am sick and tired of parents thinking they are special and rules dont apply to them! Shame on you!!
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Asealady

And I have seen swim diapers leak!!!!!
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Asealady

I am a parent and run a daycare business. I care about children's health. And the cruise line has this rule. What are you teaching your children that you are so special and rules dont apply to you. But, when you think Me Me Me, you don"t care about those things
I can tell you are a first time cruiser. Cruise passengers are considerate of their fellow passengers and polite enough to follow the rules. Me Me Me people don't listen or care so whats the use of taking the time to keep posting it. I think you have the time to read posts, you send a reply to them. Swim diapers dont leak? WELL, yes they do! A real stinking mess in a pool. Be prepared when it happens, the staff will tell you to leave.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Asealady

Nope you got me wrong! Swim diapers have leaked, i have seen it happen. I dont like to make trouble. You will see when a diaper or swim diaper explodes, or staff knows the child is wearing a diaper, staff will ask the parent to please remove their child. End of discussion. Calm down and enjoy your cruise.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:05 AM
mommyof2

They probably leak if the parent leaves them on their child for hours at a time! You are making trouble and you are right it is the end of my discussion with you.
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: what to do?

If you don't follow the rules and your child's swim diapers leak, they will close the pool for 2 or more hours to disinfect and everyone loses!
Think about it
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM
uncle bob

What do you do if you wear Depends 24/7?
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:25 PM
Passenger

I'm not trying to make trouble but I do have a comment on this topic. I took my daughter on her first cruise right before her 3rd birthday. I knew ahead of time about the pool policy and I made sure she was 100% potty trained before our cruise. She loves to swim so I would not have wanted to tell her she couldn't. I do feel that if a child poops in a swim diaper in the pool, it is VERY likely that fecal matter will be in the pool. This is how many illnesses start. Please don't expose other children. The cruise lines have made the potty training rule for a reason. If I see parents breaking this rule on my upcoming cruise I will report it immediately. It's really not fair for my daughter to be exposed to an unsanitary pool just so you don't have to explain it to your child.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
BoysSkiMom

I agree with Shelly123. Please follow the rules. They are there for a reason and for everyone's benefit and protection.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I agree with Shelly123 also. It is a health issue. Have you considered bringing a blow up pool with you for your son to swim in? I have seen other people do this on cruises so their child who was not potty trained could swim.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:33 AM
Asealady

I agree with you all. There is no excuse to break this rule.I asked that question the other day and started a post in the gripe section. I was attacked for it. There is nothing you can say to parents who are doing this. They give all kinds of excuses why they should have their diaper/swim diaper child in the pools.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:24 PM
mommyof2

I know this is supposed to die but I must correct you. You started it in the Family section-not gripe section and I was attacked:

Author: Asealady (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: 03-19-04 14:58

Swim diapers are against the rules too. What makes you think you have the right to ignore them?

I was asking questions and expressing my opinion on what I was going to do.. Anyway, people have opinions which they are certainly entitled to express-agree or disagree-that is everyone's right. I am taking every precaution to make sure nothing happens. It sounds silly but I know his 'schedule'. He will be wearing a swimmie with trunks that are lined with plastic.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:50 PM
First Mate

My family's vacation in Jamaica at FDR several years ago was ruined by someone who decided to break the rules by allowing their son to wear a diaper under swim trunks. Well, the kid was 2-1/2 and his diaper leaked while he was splashing around in the main swimming pool. It was truly disgusting! This was a freshwater pool that had to be drained and refilled. The pool was closed for 2 days. Be considerate. The old adage "Rules were meant to be broken" should not apply here.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:56 AM
Asealady

Anne,

That really is disgusting. Sorry to hear that ruined your vacation.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:02 AM
Chrisobrn

I just came off the Dawn. One day there was poop all over the children's area. Somebody's diaper leaked! The pools are also VERY small with loads of kids trying to be in them. There really isn't even room for an adult to be there with a child.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:28 AM
Asealady

Did they find out who did this, so the parents could clean it up?? That is so gross! Hope you didnt walk in it.
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Please Don't take you child into the pool with a diaper on!!!! I don't want my kids sick just as I am sure you don't want yours sick. Bring a blow up pool for you littel one or better yet get him POTTY trained. My kids were both potty trained BEFORE they were 2 y/o. I know its hard to tell one they can swim but the other they can't but PLEASE think of everyone esle 's health as well..... What Cruise are you going to be on? I will make sure its not the one I am going on. And If it is I will change mine.
Susie
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:22 AM
BMK

Mommyof2,
My heart breaks for you! It sounds like this is your first cruise so what you may not know is that the pools on the ships do not have shallow ends and when you are at sea the waves in the pool can get get kind of intimating for a young child. Your son will probably not want to swim as much as you might think. All the pools have a splash over area where he can stand and water will just cover his feet. When my kids were younger, they used to love to stand there and take a paint brush and pail and paint the side of the pool with the water. I do not know about the kiddie pool but they must have a area where your son can play. I hope you are on my cruise I would love to meet you!
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:20 PM
asealady

This poster is going on the Dawn and WILL take her child in the pool, he is not potty trained. She claims he will be safe with a swim diaper and swim trunks with a plastic liner. Swim diapers and diapers are against the rules on this cruiseline. She will bring him anyway.
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Nasty nasty nasty. She should not go ..... Is is so very diffrent that She can break the rules?
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:40 PM
asealady

I guess so! She is spending over 3,000 dollars and she does not want to deal with temper tantrums after spending that much money. So I suppose that makes her very special!!!
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Admiral

I guess... You know she should get her little one potty trained. That would help both of my kids were potty trained before they were 2.
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:25 AM
Admiral

i suppose that some of you would be against the idea of mom sitting on the edge of the pool holding her baby on her lap with swim diapers on and letting the little one just splash his/her feet in the water.
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:05 PM
inmyworld4ever

How about both kids don't go swiming? that way they both can cry together about not swiming. If you are going somewhere with beaches, take them to the beach. I'm just trying to help you.
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:46 AM
joto

At 2 1/2 your child should be fairly reliable with the potty training by now. Hopefully when the cruise comes around your child will not need day-time diapers and will maybe only need night time ones. If not, you should follow the posted rules on the ship about children in the pools.