Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:17 PM
fergus

Default tipping

Is there any way to request paying for the tipping separate from the mandatory $9.95 per person/perday charge Carnival automatically charges your sign and sail card? My wife and I will be traveling on the Paradise for seven days with our 5 and 7 year old boys. The total charge for tips will amount to almost $280 ($40/day X 7). We don't tip the maids for hotel stays and we certainly wouldn't spend $1800+ for a week on dining out($1800+ X 15% tip = $280). Carnival says tipping is entirely up to the cruise passenger (according to their website), but putting this amount on your sign and sail card without asking leaves you no choice. I would like to pay for the tipping separately at the end of the cruise based on the service we receive. Any thoughts?
Brian
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: tipping

First, the $280 for tipping isn't just for the dining staff, it's also for your room steward.

Second, yes you can adjust the amount on your sign and sail or take it off entirely. Go the the purser's desk and they can help you.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:46 AM
Luisa

Thanks for the clarification Dorothy.
Also, keep in mind that the cruise lines don't pay the staff a lot since it is assumed that they'll make most of their money from tips -- and most of the staff is very hard working. Doesn't seem fair that the pax have to pay the brunt of it, but that's the reality of it.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:33 AM
fergus

Default Re: Re: tipping

Dorothy
Thanks for getting back to me on Carnivals tipping issue. I am aware the tip goes to the room steward. If you read the initial message you will see that one of my comments was that our family doesn't tip the maids to make up the rooms when we stay at a hotel or resort. When you pay for a hotel that is part of what you are paying for and the maids are paid by the hotel. We feel the same should apply to your room on your cruise. You are paying for the cruise and the room and the cruise should pay the staff to clean the rooms as the hotel industry does the maids. If anyone tips the maids for cleaning their hotel rooms that's great for them!
Brian
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Karin

I generally do not tip maids/stewards at a hotel, they do not cater to me like the cabin stewards. I have no problem tipping them for making my vacation a bit easier/nicer. In fact, before Carnival started this automatic tipping thing, I tipped them more and in person. Carnival has made it so you don't have to think about it, so I don't.

My problem is with the whole tipping process everywhere - everyone now expects tips - newspaper delivery people, beauticians (after paying $30+ for a 15 minute trim), servers, DQ employees, coffee shop employees, etc. But that's off the topic - sorry!
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Admiral

< we certainly wouldn't spend $1800+ for a week on dining out($1800+ X 15% tip = $280).>

My post was directed to your math, Fergus. Your total tip for 4 people would be $280 on your sign and sail card. That $280 *isn't* only for the meals, therefore, you can't look at the $280 as the 15% tip of a $1,800 dining out bill.

Let's say the dining staff gets $6.50 per person/per day. That's $45.50 per person for the entire 7 days or $183.00 total. If you consider your tip to be 15% of your meals costs, then your total meal cost for the week would be $1,220. ($1,220 X 15% = $183.00).

You can't eat in a 4 star restaurant 3 meals a day for four people at $1,220 on land.

Everyone should tip what they feel comfortable tipping, but IMHO you get your money's worth on a cruise, even if you tip the recommended $10 per day.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Brian - getting back to your post about not tipping the maid. Unfortunatley your room steward doesn't make even close to what a hotel maid in the US would make. The room stewards could not live or survive on their base salary, also most of the staff sends most of their money home to their family. Also your room steward is so much more than just a maid, he/she is basically your butler for the entire cruise, if you need something,just ask and it will be done, also how many mainland hotels that you know of clean your room twice a day? The cruise ships do.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:54 PM
elationismyship

fergus - just wait till you see what your room stewards does for you before deciding ahead of time you won't tip. The tip is totally up to you and you can have it removed from your sail 'n sign card - there is no issue there. And then it will be up to you who and amount you want to tip. But, when you see what your cabin stewards does you will "want" to tip believe me . . . . just wait and see, you'll love everything and feel an overwhelming need to tip - maybe even more than suggested. Same goes for your waiter . . . .
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:41 PM
fergus

Default Re: Re: tipping

Dorothy
Once again you have misread my initial message on tipping. As I said initially, I am not in favor of tipping the room steward for the reasons given previously. I have been on more than half a dozen cruises and I am familiar with the service they provide. Since I would not normally tip the room steward, if forced to pay the entire $280, to me that would be like giving the entire amount to the wait staff (I am aware of how the funds get divided up with the room steward). Once again, since I would not normally tip the room steward I would not be paying $280 to the wait staff.

And yes, for a family of 4 adults I could justify spending $175/day on food ($1220week) and therefore a weekly tip of $183 would be appropriate. But we are 2 adults and a 5 and 7 year old. Two kids this age don't eat steak and lobster at their meals. They are fine with pizza, chicken fingers etc. Since the kids won't be eating the adult meals why should we be expected to tip based on them eating the same food as the adults. When our family goes to Outback and we eat steaks and the kids eat chicken fingers we don't add another $30 to the bill (if they had both eaten steaks, etc.) to figure out the tip. Do you?

I will plan on tipping the room steward a moderate amount based on the service I get but my whole point is the tipping should be entirely left up to the passenger so situations like ours with the kids would be handled appropriately. How would you feel if you had 4 kids (say 3, 5, 7, &9) and you had to tip $280 for them and another $140 for mom and dad ($420)?

Many of my friends who have cruised Carnival have commented that since the crew knows they will get the pre-paid tip, they don't provide the same level of service as they would if tips were given at the discretion of the passenger at cruise end.

Keep in mind just because Carnival starting doing the mandatory pre-paid on tipping doesn't make it right. I know many of you reading this will feel this way but are afraid to go against the status quo. The higher class cruise lines do not have this policy for a good reason. Cruises are a ton of fun, it's too bad Carnival has to take some of the fun out of it! Sure does help Carnival out though!
Fergus
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Admiral

just take it off your sail and sign card and readd what you feel you should tip. ccl is just trying to make things easier for all.
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Admiral

>>When our family goes to Outback and we eat steaks and the kids eat chicken fingers we don't add another $30 to the bill (if they had both eaten steaks, etc.) to figure out the tip. Do you?>>

When I eat in a restaurant, I pay what is socially acceptable - 15-20%. When I am on a cruiseline, I do the same. $10 per person per day.

>>How would you feel if you had 4 kids (say 3, 5, 7, &9) and you had to tip $280 for them and another $140 for mom and dad ($420)?>>

I would either have the money to pay for all my kids or I wouldn't go. There are all sorts of things I can't afford - so I don't do them.

>>Many of my friends who have cruised Carnival have commented that since the crew knows they will get the pre-paid tip, they don't provide the same level of service as they would if tips were given at the discretion of the passenger at cruise end.>>

I've heard this from others, so it probably has some truth to it in certain situations.

Carnival doesn't have mandatory tipping. You can have it taken off your sign and sail. Many people choose that option. Sounds like you are someone who will need to in order to be happy with your cruise.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04