Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Suzanne74

Default How strict are the age requirements?

DH and I are looking into a few options with our 2.5 yr old daughter who will turn 3 on Sept 5th 2004. She is very close to being completely potty trained and acts much older for her age.

At first I wanted Carnival because they take 2 and up - which I love. BUT some of the itineraries I really like are Disney Western and RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western and I have heard nothing but good things about these ships.

Do you think either cruise line will accept a potty trained almost 3 yr old? We are looking into a cruise 1 to 2 weeks before she turns 3. Many people mistake her for a 3 even a 4 yr old and she loves older kids more than kids her own age. The prices are good and it would work out for our whole family. The problem is - RCCL has no other option but in room babysitting and Disney - the nursery - if they don't accept her. I don't think either one of them will work with my daughter and then I would opt to go on Carnival.

Do they even check ages, birth certificates etc.. - what cruiselines are more flexible and which ones won't budge?

Thanks,
Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: How strict are the age requirements?

I read that with RCCL that the child must be 3 no matter what. I will be in the same boat as you in Dec, but my son wont be able to do the club thing. And its not like you can lie about it either-your child's bday is on all the documents (passport, forms). Maybe theyre a little more relaxed on other lines. Good luck!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:55 AM
MikeLorraine

We were in the same boat. Our daughter turns 3 on May 12. She's potty trained, so that's not the problem. We wanted to take a May 10 sailing but RCCL would not give us a written guarantee that they'd let her into the program even though she'd turn 3 two days after the ship departed. We were told that they would "probably" let her in, but we'd have to wait til we got on the ship. That wasn't an option, so we booked the May 31 sailing instead. We also have a four year old son and there's no way I could explain to our daughter that he got to go to the playground and she didn't.
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Very strict...no exceptions.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
Mel Poblocki

Where does one go to find the minimum age requirements for various cruise lines?
One of our family members thought Carnival allowed infants over 4 Months. Do you have to check each cruise line independantly? I would like to hear what others have found out.
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Passenger

Hi Mel...I'm posting the youngest program available on RCCL...this is directly from their website...but yes every cruiseline is different...so you'd have to go and check for their guidelines on their website...Although I'm sure they are not much different than RCCLs.

Our Aquanauts program is specially designed to blend educational activities with just plain fun. Every cruise is different. But one thing never changes, your child will get to learn about local customs, do cool science experiments, and make great new friends. To participate, children must be fully potty-trained and 3 years of age as of the first day of the cruise. No pull-ups or diapers please. You can feel confident leaving your children with us because every member of our Adventure OceanŽ staff holds a college degree in education, recreation, or other related field, or has qualified experience in working with children ages 3-17.

As you can see it says 3 years old AND potty trained.

Enjoy your cruise!!!
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Mel Poblocki

I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly. I'm not asking the age requirements to enter any specific program, just the age limit to board the ship an simply cruise. Or is the reference to traveling age the same as the the program's age?
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Oh I apologize Mel...that answer I'm not sure of...however, I'm sure if you go on the cruiseline's website...you'll be able to find that information...again, sorry.
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Luisa

I just updated the article on the main page of the family section here called Youth Programs: Line by Line. Under each cruise line, I state the minimum age required to sail, which was provided to me by each line.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:31 PM
KayDee

I was on the carnival and my older daughter went to camp carnival. The kids must be potty trained. Good Luck!
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: How strict are the age requirements?

Actually, on Carnival, they do not need to be potty trained. Just 2 years old. All the other lines except NCL, under limited circumstances, require that children by potty trained to enter the kids clubs.
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Luisa

I recently updated the article on this site, "Youth programs: Line by Line" and once again Carnival stated that their youth counselors do change diapers. While NCL allows potty trained kids in the youth program, their counselors do not change diapers but give parents beepers to be paged when a diaper change is needed. Both lines accept kids 2 years and older.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor