CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Is Bringing a Life Jacket Necessary? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/277336-bringing-life-jacket-necessary.html)

Shannan March 30th, 2004 09:04 AM

Is Bringing a Life Jacket Necessary?

Hi,

My daughter and I will be going on the Destiny in Sept. She is 6 years old and loves to swim. Although she is much more comfortable to swim in her life jacket. We will be doing all of the beach excursions and she wants me to pack her life jacket. (You can imagine how much space that would take up!) I have cruised several times, but this will be the first with her. Does anyone think it is necessary to bring her life jacket? I know it would make her comfortable to have hers but doesn't the ship have these?

Thanks for your input.

~Shannan

Carnival Spirit 11/01
Carnival Fascination 4/02, 12/03
Carnival Imagination 9/02
NCL Magesty 01/03
Carnival Destiny.....9/04 (Can't wait!!)

Dorothy March 30th, 2004 09:18 AM

Re: Is Bringing a Life Jacket Necessary?

Would she settle for water wings?

dorothy

ssatterly March 30th, 2004 09:18 AM

every shore excrustion I have ever been on they provide the life jackets. She does not need to bring one with her. But if she insits for her comfort levels buy all means do so, but get a light weight small one for packing space... Susie

alison1170 March 30th, 2004 04:12 PM

We bring my sons with us for the beach and any water excursions. The one trip, the child life jacket was the big orange clunky type (not great for swimming). The other thing you might try is the swim vest. This one has pads on the front and back with straps. You can remove the 8-9 foam pads inside to decrease buoyancy (its for swim training). It wont be as bulky as a life jacket. My 2 cents on arm floaties-skip them. I was a lifeguard and we banned them from our pool when parents slapped them on their kids and turned them loose in the pool. On a few occasions, they would leak and I had to pull a few kids out while the parents were also sitting on the side talking (hence never leave your child alone in the water, especially the ocean where the waves and currents can pull them out into the deep water).

alison

PapaBill March 30th, 2004 04:20 PM

Try this suggestion. Go to a dive shop and purchase a childs sized inflatable snorkel vest. It will pack in the space of a tee shirt and will be more than adequate to assist
your six year old in the water. You just inflate it to the point where she is comfortable. This is not a toy , this is serious swim assistance. Child size snorkel vest will probably run about $35 . This is not a Wal Mart type item, find a real dive shop (or purchase on line).

Shannan March 31st, 2004 10:41 AM

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. I think the vest is a great idea. Since we don't leave until Sept., we will do lots of swimming this summer to get her comfy, I was thinking of getting her a snorkel mask and tube just to play with in the water. I would never leave her alone in the water, nor would we ever be far from shore. It will be just her and I, so I want her to feel safe and me feel that I can protect her.

Thanks again.
Shannan

LisaK April 1st, 2004 10:04 AM

I think that the inflatable vest and getting her comfortable with the snorkel is a great idea. Who knows, come Sept she might be" Mom I'm a big girl now, i don't need the life jacket".