Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Admiral

Default Son is Scared of heights and going on Rccl Navagator.....HEL

My son is DEATHLY scared of heights. We are going on the Navagator in DEC 2005 And he wants to play mini golf? But it seems to be up so high and near the edge in all the photos I have seen. I wonder will taking him make him even more scared of heights? Please help....Susie
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Son is Scared of heights and going on Rccl Navagator....

Basically most new, family friendly ships are pretty big these days so you will inevitably be up high when you're out on sports deck which is where pools, basketball courts, mini golf, etc. is located. If he's that scared of heights, maybe you want to check out a smaller cruise ship instead. I just wrote an article that is listed on the main home page of Cruise MAtes.com about seasonal family cruises on smaller ships -- might be a better fit.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Admiral

The Only thing with that is he wants a ship with the mini golf on it and Rccl and Princess seem to be the only ones with that.
Old April 10th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Anyone esle have any advice for this? Please help.. Thnkas Susie
Old April 10th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Passenger

My daughter is very afraid of heights so when we went on Voyager a few years ago she wouldn't walk near the edge of any deck even tho there are railings all over the place. She played minature golf a lot tho. I think she got so into the golf, she forgot about the how high up she was. I'm not sure that answers your question but maybe it helps to know another child has the same fear.

Elise
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Admiral

I hope that this is the caes with him as well
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Chrisobrn

Default Re: Re: Son is Scared of heights and going on Rccl Navagator

Luisa, why are travel agents allowed to post? I've seen them many times now.
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude, but if you have a child that is afraid of heights, why take him on a vacation where he will be subjected to them? Why not consider another vacation until he is older and has a handle on his fear? I'm not being critical, but trying to understand why you would do this to a child.....when I was a young chld I had a fear that was absolutely terrifying to me. I was forced to confront it....and guess what? It took much longer for me to overcome my fear than if I had been allowed to overcome it at my own pace.

Yes, cruise ships are big, but you are on the ocean and if you are on any open deck you will sea the sky and the sea.............and yes, my fear was (and to some extent) still is of heights.

Old April 13th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Admiral

Look. I am not forceing my child to go. I let him decide our vacation this year and after about 3 months this is what HE came up with wanting to do. NOT ME. I told him how big it was and showed him veidos and things. SO PLEASE MIND YOUR OWN BUSSINESS AND DON'T BE RUDE. I posted this message for some advice not crtisism
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:40 AM
anita kennedy

Just curious, do you have a port close by where you could show him a real live cruise ship. When I went on my first cruise on the Conquest as we were driving up, (this was in Biloxi at the time) I was in shock at how BIG this ship was. Reality might be better than videos.

Also do you have a back up plan if he won't get on it? I really thought I might get on our ship, but glad I did and will go again. If he gets on it and is afraid let him do what he can do and don't force him into anything. No big deal if he doesn't play golf, right.
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Admiral

The closest place to see a real ship is over 8 hours away drving. I don't care if he plays golf or not. But I DO want him to have fun.
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:25 AM
stuff&things

How old is your son? I think this information is important to try to understnad and offer helpful advice to you.
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Admiral

When we go he will be 9 years old.
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:24 PM
stuff&things

9 years old and you let him pick the family vacation and this is what he picked given he was told or saw video of what these ships are like, given some comparison for size or has some idea from something even if it is a picture depicting a person in relation to the size of the rock wall aboard like is in the brochures? If that is all correct, then I think at 9 yrs. old, he can learn to handle to what he has chosen or learn to stay inside or away from the railings. At 9 he is old enough to understand consequences. Now if we are talking about his being 9 and you taking him and then you being worried for him or trying to make him comfortable if he is unhappy - to the point of it interfering with your ability to enjoy your vacation - well, personally I think that is a different story but that deals with childrearing philosophies and not cruise ship logisitics. I'd say go for it if you can remove yourself enough from the concern and let him live with, deal with, and grow from the experience. I hope you have a really great time and that he will overcome his anxieties. Best of luck to you!
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to donald

Geeze .... this is nuts.

Get a cabin in Montana for a week and relax