Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:48 AM
SuzJoh

Default Taking older kids out of school

Took family on the Navigator this past FEB school vacation. We are HOOKED!
Well. we made arrangements for another cruise next Feb but.. I booked it
the week before in error!! School vacation is later next year as President's day is not until the 21st.(DOH!) I already have the plane tickets!!! I purchased them
from expedia so it's $100 + to change the dates and the following week not only are the plane tickets ridiculous, the cruise itself is $1000.00 more. My kids will be 16 and 11 next year. I feel so guilty (and stupid). My DH says let it go and we will just come clean @ the first of the school year.
Anybody out there take the older kids out of school?
Suzjoh
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Taking older kids out of school

Just let their teacher know what is up and MOST of the time the teacher will either give you their work or a leat let them make up what they miss. It does happen so I would not worry about it. Just go with the flow and have a GREAT time
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:09 AM
SuzJoh

I'm having a tough time because I never made a mistake like this. I always do the travel arrangements for the extended family. I'm glad they're not included in this trip. Friends of ours who are coming along did the same thing. She pointed it out. They are not changing their plans.
Suzz
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:14 AM
KrazyK

Suz~

My kids are 10 & 7 and I am pulling them out of school for 6 days next month. I too was a little concerned about doing it, but I am going to ask for their work. I made sure they will not be missing any state exams (luckily, my son's exams end on the 6th & we leave the 7th). I think your kids will be fine. Good Luck!!
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Suz -

I've pulled my kids out of school for travel. Just make sure you let their teachers know ahead of time. Sometimes rather than regular homework the teacher will assign them to do somthing that relates to where we're going.

Darcy
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Stacey Schafer

I personally would not take my kids out of school for vacation- a day or two is fine but not the week. I was a teacher and have three children. I just think it sends kids the wrong message and is distrubtive to their education but that is a personal opinion. That being said I would get the work in advance and have the kids turn in all work before they LEAVE. The teachers should be fine with that. Have a great time.
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Passenger

It's a tough call. We cruised during Spring Break a month ago. With all the college aged kids on board, I don't think we will do that again. (Too wild and rowdy for us. Our 11 and 12 year olds acted more mature than most of the college aged kids on the ship.) With that being said, we are seriously considering pulling our kids out next year for our cruise and it definitely won't being during any spring break months. Our school district is totally against pulling kids out for vacation, but some of our best family memories are on cruise ships and that counts for something, too. JMHO.

Happy cruising,
Gayle
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Gianna S.

Default Re: Re: Taking older kids out of school

I always pull the kids out of school. As long as they are getting good grades, then hey, it's an education being able to travel. They learn so much from all the places we've gone to so far in their little lives. For school, like I said as long as their grades are up to par, then definetely. Go and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:39 PM
MichelleM

My parents pulled us out of school all the time for family vacations and no permanent damage was done. Both my brother and I were always on the honor roll every semester. What was kind of sad was we could usually get the assigned work done on the plane ride to the vacation, and that was the work assigned for the whole week. The majority of our teachers told us to have a great time and wished they could go too.
Now that I have a child I fully expect that we will be pulling him from school for family vacations occassionally. We have a few years until this is an issue but we have already discussed it.
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Admiral

I really don't see a problem. Tell the teachers, get the homework assignments, make arrangements to make-up any tests that might be missed. I know that many school districts frown upon it, but its your kid and you know them best. You can always find something educational to do on a cruise if you are worried - museums, aquariums, snorkeling for the first time, etc.
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Jodie

In the past we have pulled our almost 16 year old son out of school, and usually with no problems at all. I'm very involved in the school and always let his teachers know at least 2-4 weeks ahead of time. The school work is done before we leave. We are very fortunate to have some fantastic teachers who know what our expectations are and have faith the work will be completed ! Communication is key ! However, as he's in some advanced classes, very active in high school sports, and is very active with leadership at his school, it's definitely become more of a struggle. He doesn't want to miss the school stuff, and with sports, if he misses practices, per the athletic code, he doesn't play. I agree with Stacey, a day or two here and there is OK, but a week is a lot to miss, especially with a high school age student. Since he's entered high school, he's missed two days to travel to visit family, but that's it (OK... and knee surgery... but hey, that wasn't a vacation at all !!).
But, as the tickets have been paid for and plans confirmed, it's hard to change. I'm sure a week won't kill anyone ! and it doesn't sound like it's a habitual thing... so I think, from a one time only basis, it would be just fine !!
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Passenger

If younger kids are maintaining good grades, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I AM concerned for the 16 year old however. You didn't say where you're from, but I know that here in Northern Virginia.... everything is SOOOO competitive.. grades, extracurricular activities, kids are already thinking about their "resumes" for college applications, etc. Also, the kids are on a "block" schedule in high school.... the academic classes meet for 1 1/2 hrs. every OTHER day, so if you miss a week of school, it's like actually missing 2 weeks because so much information is covered during 1 class period. I would NOT pull my high school student out, but I would pull out elementary or middle school students in a heart beat -- in fact, used to do it all of the time! It's much easier to make up those classes, than, say, physics, chemistry, geometry, well, you get my point! BUT they can always stay after school to get more one on one time w/the teacher once you get back if they've missed alot. I agree with the other poster on checking the timing of tests, end of quarter assignments, etc. If you've got an Honor Roll student, you don't want him getting an incomplete on a report card!

Sorry this is so long... just my thoughts for whatever they're worth!
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:06 PM
SuzJoh

Thanks for all the input.
The 16 year old is in a Tech HS so he will miss 3 days shop 2 days academics or visa versa.
We did pull the kids out a couple of times when they were very young. They did their work every afternoon and it was done when they returned. We decided not to do it anymore as they did miss alot and it was a hassle. It is up to the teacher to give work. They don't have too and that's what i'm worried about. (on top of feeling like an all around bad mother!)
I'm going to let both schools know, in person, when school starts in the Fall and remind the teachers again a few weeks before we go.. The schools will not be happy but it was an honest mistake. SO CHECK THE CALENDER CAREFULLY!!!!
I do think this will be the last cruise with the older one.
Thank you and I'm enjoying your views on the subject.
Suz
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
stuff&things

16 is a hard one to take out of school - they miss a lot. I think I might go to next year's teachers now if that is possible, and get their take on it before deciding what to do.
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last year I took my 13 year old daughter out of scholl for a trip to Hawaii, and thought it was a good educational experience and a trip she will always remember

[img]
NCL
Norwegian Gem
June 04
Adventure of the Sea
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Passenger

I too have already booked a cruise for March 26, 2005 for 7 days. This is when there spring break is. I have called the school board 3 times to double check on what date spring break will be in 2005 and I have gotten the same answer everytime. I hope they do not change it. I have let my children miss school in the past because we always did a cruise around when they would be out for Presidents Day and they would miss 2 or 3 days. We have been on seven cruises and the one scheduled next year will be our first seven day cruise( the others have either been 4 or 5 day cruises). I had to get letter from principal excusing those days and let the teachers sign it and it was approved as an excused absence for educational purposes. Two of my children have graduated now but I have one that is in high school now and will be next year when we cruise. They have changed their schedules to block schedules now and you can only miss 5 days a semester and that is why we were not able to go this Feb.( we went from being able to miss 12 days a semester and in one year it changed to 5 days, boo!!) In the past we have never made up snow days during spring break and I hope they do not change that because if they do I will be in the same boat you are in. (lately we have a lot of snow days to make up). I see you are hooked and so are we, cruising is the one vacation we can go with family and friends and all of us are planning the next cruise just as soon as we get back.
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:16 PM
SuzJoh

It's tough to plan ahead as they don't vote on vacations until the end of May. I always plan ahead and to get desent prices for flights...have to take them when they come.
I cannot speak to the teachers now. The younger will be in a new school and we have no idea who the teachers will be. I prefer to wait for the fall. That will give them plenty of time. Schools wont like it either way.
This was a huge mistake. I hope I don't find myself in this mess again.
Suzz
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Jodie

Suzz - don't beat yourself up too much... I think we all have made plans and then figured out the calendar and were all messed up ! Chalk it up to a lesson learned and plan on having fun !
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:12 AM
SuzJoh

Thanks Jodie, I'll get over it in time. I hate to make mistakes!
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Asealaldy

We booked our cruise one year the week before Labor Day. School always started the Wednesday after Labor Day. That year they started school the Wednesday before Labor day. It wasnt too bad, they were starting first grade. I told the school and no problem. The next cruise we booked in Oct during the Columbus Holiday. That was 4th grade and the teachers gave them work to do. They missed 4 days and there was so much school work for them to do. It was very difficult. They didnt want to do and I dont think learned anything from doing it. Our high school had the block timing too. We never took them out of school again. They just miss too much.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Mikey Sr.

I would not take the kids out of school because of a cruise. School is their future. There is always time for a cruise after the school season, but their studies come first. Business before pleasure.
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Payne

My parents took me out of school when we went on our cruise. Just make sure your kids can stay on top of their schoolwork and it wont be a problem. Also, later on in the school years like in sophomore and junior and senior year, its sort of relaxed... at least compared to college.
Old April 18th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Passenger

As a teacher, and a parent, I'd like to put in the perspective of the teacher here:

1. It is extra work to put together packets for students who will be out. Please don't be upset if the teacher(s) can't put it all together before the trip. There may be things that have to be done after the trip too.

2. Teacher plans *do* change, depending on the class and how well they understand a concept. Since I teach for mastery, I don't leave a concept before the vast majority of the class has mastered it. Alternatively, if the majority are able to master it more quickly than I anticipated, we might move on. That may mean that your child is ahead or behind where the rest of the class is upon their return.

3. Be prepared to teach your child yourself, rather than relying on the teacher to take extra time with your child to bring them up to speed. I teach 120 students in an affluent area. Each year, I have about 20 students taken out of school for vacations. Assuming an hour for each student to "catch up", that is half a work week, in addition to my other responsibilities. I am willing to do that for the students who are sick; I'm less willing to do that for a student whose parents have chosen to take them out of school. That time cuts into either planning time, or time with my own children. It just isn't fair to me, my other students, or my own children.

4. My experience is that students have a drop in grades immediately after the trip. They simply don't have the same understanding of the material as children who have been in class. I don't do worksheets in class; I have hands-on activities that can't be replicated by the worksheets I would put in the packet. Be aware of this.

5. Inform your child's teacher(s) at least a week ahead of time. They will need to have time to make copies, write directions, etc. I can't tell you how many students inform me on Thursday that they will be out the next week.

6. Have your child do the work. I will admit that I am quite resentful when, after spending 30-45 minutes organizing, copying, writing directions, and providing materials, the child comes back with nothing but a note from the parent saying that they didn't have time to do the work. Our school policy is that the student would get a zero in such a circumstance. I've been more lenient in the past, but given that it has happened so often, I am rethinking that position.

Sheila

Carnival Legend, Western Carribean

Old April 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM
SuzJoh

Sheila,
Thank you for your reponse. I understand that a teacher is not obligated to give work. If work is given, it will be done by the children. The younger one has no problem with school or homework. The older one is in a tech high school and will miss part shop/part academics. He is the one I worry about and he is the reason I am obsessing.
Fortunatly they are off the following week and it will give him plenty of time to complete the work.
Thanks again, Sheila,
Suzz
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

We take our kids out of school each year for our family vacation. We have to get the schools approval because of the "No Child Left Behind" law but we have not had a problem yet.

BUT....
I make my kids catch up all missing work within one week.
The must do a written report on what we did.
They keep a journal each day.
Finally they do a power point show from our pictures

All of these items are turning in to the school when we return. I opt to take my kids out of school but we make it a learning experience.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'll be pulling my 5th grader out next year, and I am also in education, (kindergarten). I know that it will be a struggle, but our school system just shortened our spring break by a week. We all need that time, believe me we won't be the only ones missing. I'm hoping she will have an understanding teacher and she will really gain alot from our vacation location. The west. carb. in rich in history and culture. It will be great. I went on a cruise in Jan. and let my principal know before school. They are my personal days. My only concern is standardized testing I just adjust my vacation around testing. They are only young once.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

The school may mark your older kid w/ "unexcused absences" that might lower their citizenship grade, make up an excuse like "you're going on an educational journey" or something.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Yeoman

Years ago I took my 2 teenage children out of school to take them to London and Paris. My son was studying about the British Aisles and my daughter was taking french, so the trip was educational. I would not take children out of school for a cruise.
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Passenger

The only problem going on cruises during non-break times are the lack of other kids on board
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:20 AM
PTA President

I took my 6yo out of school for a couple of days in September for a Disney cruise. The teacher did not have a problem with it and said he would have great family bonding and memories on a cruise. I was afraid that there would not be too many other kids on the ship, but I was wrong. You would be surprised at how many kids are home-schooled and have the flexability to travel when they want.

PS-from all the spelling errors on these posts, maybe some of the respondents shoul dhave stayed in school