Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Passenger

Default Motion sickness

First time cruiser on the Glory with my 3 year old daughter. I am not sure if she will get motion sickness. I will check with her MD, but can toddlers be given Dramamine. Any helpful tips on other things we can use if she gets sea sick?

Thank

Praying for a vomit free cruise.

Old April 19th, 2004, 06:11 AM
stuff&things

Default Re: Motion sickness

Ginger cookies - with real ginger in them. Also there is an OTC formula that is ginger based. It has worked like a charm for my own and others' kids and is safe.
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Luisa

I also use wrist bands that have pressure points on them for my kids. You can buy them in the shops on board ship. They're medicine free and work pretty well.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:51 PM
First Mate

I have a son who gets motion sick easily. I give him half of a chewable Dramamine which works pretty well, but he still sometimes feels ill if the ride is rocky. I've done this since he was 3 with no ill effect.

Margie
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:55 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to BambiRumsey Send a message via MSN to BambiRumsey

I got the wrist bands and gave my 4 year old some chewable dramamine (after checking with her ped that it was okay). Both seemed to help. Also, make sure you keep something in their stomach but NOT a lot of liquid. Crackers, pretzels, toast, things like that - liquids will tend to slosh around like the seas!

Depends on the cruise and seas too - you may not have a problem. We left out of Baltimore and the only time she (and I!) didn't feel well was the day or so after leaving the Chesapeake Bay until we got around Hatteras and it smoothed out a LOT.
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:26 AM
Passenger

hi,
i will be traveling w/my 16 mo old son in july...is motion sickness a big problem w/the little ones? i didn't even think of that!! is there any way to avoid it from happening? give dramamine ahead of time everyday? or would that be too much for a baby? i don't think he would keep on the wrist band..
thanks,
gina
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM
Admiral

do your kids get car sick when they travel with you? If they don't then you really don't have to worry about motion sickness on the ship. The ships have wonderful stabalizers.
I would pack the Bonine ( works better than Dramamine- imo), get some ginger snap type cookies just to be on the safe side. They will be so excited and so busy that they really won't have time to think about motion sickness. Keep them outside in the fresh air and if they start to feel the queezies, grab a glass of ginger ale, keep them busy,get something salty into their tummies also and if that doesn't work then take the Bonine.
IF you child gets motion sickness in the car or on the airplane then the wrist bands are a great idea. They work great. The patch is an absoulte last resort. I don't think they even prescribe them for children, they contain anti-seizure medication.
Old April 24th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Janice B.

We just got back from a cruise with my 3 and 7 year old. I was very paranoid before we left about the sea sickness and the flight. I wasn't sure how my 3 year old daughter was going to handle either one. She gets car sick on occasion. I bought Dramamine after consulting with her doctor before we left. They recommended giving it to her 1 hour before the ship sets sail. She didn't even need it. She was sleeping when the ship left port and it never bothered her at all! It's better safe to have it along, but I would say give it to her before you set sail if she'll take it (dosage is on the box) and then I wouldn't worry about it after that unless she says she can feel the boat. It's a mind set. If you don't make a big deal out of it I don't think they even know. And like I said. Give it to her before departure and tell her this will keep her from getting sick the whole trip and she will mentally set herself. Hope it helps!
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Motion sickness

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!!

Old April 26th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Great advice given above. If kids get car sick they May get motion sick on a cruise.
One of my grandchildren seemed to get motion sick starting at about 2. She wears her "majic bands" (children sized Sea Bands) and whether physiacl or psycological, they work for her. Sea Bands are available in all the discount drug store chains in the same area that sells Dramamine and Bonine.
Personally I would try this as a remedy along with natural remedies such as ginger (pure ginger , cookies , ginger ale) before medicating a child.