Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Notarized letter from absent parent?

SoCalCruiser -

I would bring a notarized letter from your attorney stating the circumstances.

Darcy
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Beginner

and the plot thickens..... I suppose I should get an attorney? Son's father and I were never married, so no divorce..... no custody..... no attorney. Just stupid me.... who thought at the time that his "father's" name should be on the birth certificate. Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm just so worried now that I won't be able to go on this cruise with my 3 kids.... and they are SOOOOOO excited!! Does it matter that I'm just going on a Baja Calif. cruise???? Anyone been asked for a passport AND letter for the 4 day Baja cruise????

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Admiral

I didn't have passports for my kids then but on a four day cruise to the Bahamas I was asked for the birth certificate and a letter. I would call the cruise line, explain the situation and see what they say. Make sure you document the date, time and who you spoke with so if you get to the pier and have a problem you have that information.
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:36 AM
dcat2u

Next week we are taking my daughters friend on the cruise w/us, one of the local travel companies has a pre-done form you just fill in the basic info and there is an open space for any add-on info like giving the permission for medical. Now the one thing I worry about is we will have her birth certificate (certified copy) but there is no father on it, the man does not exist never has was gone before she was born, that shouldn't be an issue should it? When I got my daughters first passport her birth cert was like that and I didn't need his permission to get one.
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I just got back from the Enchantment. I am divorced with joint custody. I had my two boys, our birth certs and a notarized letter from their mom. I was never asked for it. We have the same last name of course and they have cruised twice before on RCI. It gave me peace of mind to have the letter but did not need it.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Cristin

SoCal are you sure your court order states that you have joint CUSTODY with him? I had a friend in your situation who just assumed they both had joint custody when in all actuality she had sole CUSTODY and he had VISITATION. There is a difference. So if you have custody then you can bring a copy of that court order. If there is no court order then you can bring a copy of the birth certificate showing there is no father. I would also write up a letter explaining the situation and have it notorized. That is what I have done and I travel internationally with my son all the time with no issues.
Cristin
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:07 AM
stuff&things

Default Re: Re: Notarized letter from absent parent?

This was a big issue for me since I was taking my kids to Mexico. I have sole custody and did not have any sort of letter from my ex. I had no problems. My kids had their passports and when we docked in Mexico, there was never even a quesiton. I had read a post with imformation saying if you are going to be in port (not flying or staying a while) for 24 hours or less, it shouldn't be a problem. We were never even asked or "checked" in any way other than to have to scan our sea passes.

Old June 14th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Admiral

its not usually an issue when you are in port. We could not board the ship in Ft. Lauderdale - they asked for the signed letter of consent( DH., son and I were all together) at the cruise desk when we were checking in.
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Notarized letter from absent parent?

for lisa k what cruise line were you on that asked for letter?
I have asked 2 different people, 1 at booking and 1 at the last minute question
dept and they both state that Carnival doesnt ask for letter. Just ceritf b.c.
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Tia

I've cruised Carnival and Royal Carribean and have been asked for it by both lines, although not every time. I think it depends on who is checking you in at boarding time.

Darcy
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Luisa

I just cruised Princess and they asked for it, especially since my daughter and I have different last names. My husband (same last name as my daughter) was supposed to come, which is why I didn't have a letter. HOwever, our toddler got sick at the last minute and my husband stayed home with him. Thus, I was considered a single parent cruising with my daughter. I explained the situation and they let us board without it. However, this makes the point that "you never know...."
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Lisa thanks.. I thought it was Princess since they have the need for letter
posted in their materials. This just burns me up, because it singles out single
parents. No parent running with their child would take a cruise to get away, they would probably drive.
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Tia you do have a point BUT someone more than likely has tried it or they would not need the letter.
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

What gets me if my DD's father took a trip with his live in Girlfriend ,Customs would just assume my DD is theirs instead of asking for the letter.
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Tia

That's not true. I'm remarried and when we've cruised it has been me, my husband, his 2 kids from his first marriage and my 2 kids from my first marriage. When we've been asked for the letter I've had to produce it for my 2 kids and he's had to produce it for his 2 kids.

Darcy
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Passenger

Just got back from our cruise. They did not ask for the notarized letter but did ask if we had permission for medical treatment. Actually the question was - Who was guardian for the child while on the cruise for medical problems? We were prepared with two letters, one to travel and one for medical.