Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Default Notarized letter from absent parent?

Whats all this about?
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Notarized letter from absent parent?

Don't know specifically what you are asking, but when I got my son's passport, I had to get a letter from my husband. BOTH parents had to be present at the passport office, or, if not, a letter from the absentee parent.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Notarized letter from absent parent?

See post .......

death certificate?

there is info there about this!
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Notarized letter from absent parent?

oops! sorry, it is in the First Time Cruisers threads.

Death Certificate?
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Admiral

No my son's "real" father abandoned him and is $15,000 behind in child support How can I get a letter from him if he is nowhere to be found?
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:11 PM
cruiseprincess0162

My aunt is taking me on a cruise in June to Alaska on HAL and my parents aren't going. So would they just sign a letter of consent? We don't know exactly what to do so they sent me to ask.
Thanks Ya'll
Jenna
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Admiral

You have to get a leeter of censent from your parents and have it notarized
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM
CF

I replied on the other board, but the short version is I traveled alone with my 6yo son on RCCL and Disney, and was never asked about the other parent other than once when I had called RCCL back to ask something about my reservation. And even then the agent didn't seem to concerned about it.
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Admiral

This is a fairly new law i believe. We went on the Golden Princess in February as a family, and my husband and i had to sign a form stating that we were our son's parents and he was traveling with us. This law came about with all the unfortunate child abductions taking place. IF you have joint custody with your ex-spouse, he or she has to sign a letter giving you permission to take your child out of the country. This letter must be notarized. IF you have sole custody of your child its not an issue. If you are family or friends taking a child on a cruise, same thing, you need a letter and you also need a letter giving you permission to give the child medical attention if required.
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Admiral

How can I get a leeter for my sons father when he has abandoned his son? He does have joint custody BUT no one knows where he is. And He is over $15, 00 or so behind in child support.
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Jodie

I can relate... when I, my husband and my 15 year old son (my husband is his step father) went on a cruise last July, I took my divorce decree stating I was sole custodial parent, a letter from the Office of Support Enforcement stating my ex-husband was 8K behind in support, my marriage certificate showing my name change, and my son's birth certificate to the passport office and got him a passport. Then... for the cruise, we took his passport, the divorce decree, marriage certificate etc etc etc... and we had no problems ! I was asked for the paperwork, and I had marked all the relevant portions in the divorce decree and everything was A-OK !!! We also take all this information when we fly anywhere. My son often flies alone to visit relatives and having all this paperwork in one handy file folder makes things MUCH easier. I know I'm probably over-prepared... but better than sitting at the airport or dock waving at a plane / ship leaving without you ! Good luck !
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:41 PM
CF

wow, I never thought of bringing all that paperwork. I was never asked for it or questioned, and I just sailed 2 weeks ago! Maybe because my son has a passport they figure it is more legit? I did have to show the DC when I applied for his passport since both parents need to be present when applying and that wasn't possible given my circumstances.
Old April 27th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Passenger

I have a similar situation. I will be taking my nephew on our upcoming cruise. I already have power of attorney for health care. I am getting another letter just for the travel time. Is there any suggested wording that needs to be in the letter? Below is a sample of what I already have:
LETTER OF PARENTAL CONSENT TO ALLOW MINOR TO TRAVEL OUTSIDE OF UNITED STATES

I, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, residing at XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXX, the biological mother of the below named child, give permission for XXXXXXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXXXXor either one of them to take my child, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, out of the United States during the period of June 13 through June 20, 2004.

Thanks for all of the help
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:03 AM
CF

That letter would have to be signed by BOTH biological parents.
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Admiral

ssatterly - i would suggest you call your lawyer. Have you filed criminal charges for payment of back child support from him? If so then he would be considerd a "deadbeat dad"and an "absentee custodial parent" i think the term is. Get some sort of signed, leagal paperwork to that effect so that you don't run the risk of being detained at customs and immigration.
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Passenger

In my case only the mother's name is on the bc. In the father's space it is blank.
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

all boys, your situation as I have with one of my grandchildren. Since his parents weren't married at the time of his birth, the father's name was not on the birth certificate (that's the way it was at the time). For the past five years we have taken our grandchildren on all our cruises with us. We have never been asked (by any line) to see the consent to t ravel letter, but I ALWAYS carry one since you never know when you could be asked. There is a website you can go to that has a copy of the consent letter - singleparenttravel.net (go to permission to travel letter).
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

I thought I would add this (although I know many people will not agree). In the case of someone who's husband is so far behind in child support, does not see his children and really is not a part of their lives here is a bit of information to make things easy (although perhaps not ethical). You can have a letter notarized with just a birth certificate, ss card. You do not have to have a drivers license to do this. If you can get your ex's BC (which anyone can) and ss# (which you probably have) have a brother, friend, father go get the letter notarized. Don't tear yourself up trying to get something that you wouldn't have to had he done the right thing.
Old April 29th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Passenger

Helicopter2213, thanks for the web site. His father will be in town next week and would sign the letter but I figure since his name is not on the bc why do it. Also, this is my sister's child and he has her last name, which is still on my DL.

He has lived with us for 4+ years and all we have is power of attorney for medical stuff (we are taking that with us also). Thanks again for the web site.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Luisa

One of my friends was detained at the airport because she didn't have a letter signed from her ex-husband. Mexico is particularly stringent with this.
I cruise/fly a lot with my 10 year old daughter and my husband often cannot come with us. We're married but I don't have the same last name as my daughter so I too bring a notarized letter from my husband giving his okay for me to travel with her. It's worth it.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I just got back from my cruise. Both of my children have passports and I was still asked for the letter of consent from my ex-husband. On last year's cruise no one asked for it. Better to get one and and not need it than not be able to produce it if asked.
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Yeoman

ssatterly,
Maybe you should look into getting your child's father's custody taken away. I would try going to court and try to get sole custody. Since they can't find him, he can't contest it and if he would happen to find out and show up then you can have them try to go after him for the back support.

Luanne

Old May 13th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am in a situation where because of extreme emotional abuse I can not ask my Daughters Father to do anything. We were never married and she has his last name. When asked to do anything he allways says no because he hates me for filing for child support.
I called Carnival and they state that I dont need letter of consent to travel alone with my child. My court orders state that I have primary physical custody.
and my orders state that I can take my Daughter on vacations. No where does it say I cant take her out of the country. Do you think it would help to have a letter from Attorney
explaining noterized letter isnt possible, due to our no contact Orders. Suggestions?
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Tia

I would get the letter from your attorney, just in case. I would also bring a certified copy of your court order.

Darcy
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Beginner

OK, now I'm concerned. I am going this Friday to get a passport for my youngest son (keep your fingers crossed!!) because I have had absolutely no contact with his father in 10 years and would have no idea where to begin to look for him to get a letter of consent. Please send all your good thoughts that the passport folks feel sympathetic to my problem and allow the passport paperwork through. But..... about 4 posts up from here, Darcy said that even though she had the passport, they STILL wanted the letter of consent! I thought that the passport was supposed to alleviate that problem. I've got 3 kids.... and only one that I can't get the letter for. Has anyone else been asked for the letter of consent as well as the passport? And, has anyone in a similar situation NOT been allowed a passport for their child?

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Admiral

If you've had no contact with his dad for ten years you can submit an affidavit with the application for passport stating that. I think they called it an affidavit of impossibility or something like that. It was on the instructions. While we travel a lot I've only been asked for the passport and letter of consent once, on our last cruise in April. Prior to this I've been asked just for the birth certificate (prior to having the passport) and sometimes for both the birth certificate and letter of consent. It seems to depend on who is checking you in.
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Admiral

correct me if i am wrong but if your child is under 16 yrs of age, isn't a birth certificate and a picture id all that is required? Children's appearances change so much so rapidly that a passport of a 10 yr old would not look like the same child at 16. just a thought.
We were asked for the letter of consent and passport when we checked in.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Beginner

I did complete that form Darcy. I'm hoping that it's enough. But that's the point. If I have completed that for the passport, and THEY accepted it, what do I say at the port if they ask me for what I couldn't get to begin with? I have NO OTHER documentation. I don't want to panic yet.... maybe the passport folks will have an answer. OK, I'm feeling the panic.

Old May 27th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Dad Son team

I traveled alone with my 6yo son in September on Disney and again in April on RCCL and neither time was I asked for a letter. I did want to get him a passport and as soon as I walked into the passport office, they told me that both parents needed to be present. My situation is a little different as my wife is deceased and I had a DC to prove it. PS-I do travel with the DC anyway just in case
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Passenger

We finally got the notarized letter for my nephew. I will not feel comfortable until we are safely on board.

I am taking:
notarized letter
birth certificate (no father listed)
power of attorney

We do not have a passport but from my understanding that really does not mean that you can take the child out of the country, just another form of id.