Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Default Late or Early

I have read all the threads, regarding the question of early or late dinning. But non come from the aspect of having a toddler. Which seating time, would be more beneficial to a parent, so they can get most out of thier time. My child is a late sleeper normally can stay up till 11:30ish. Any advice or info is appreciated.

Thanks

Old April 30th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Gianna S.

Default Re: Late or Early

I've been on a few cruises. Me, personally, I prefer late seating. I don't have to rush back to the cabin early and get ready for dinner. The last cruise my husband and I took with our children ages 3 and 6, we did late seating. We didn't have any problems, my older son wanted to stay at Camp Carnival, he didn't even want to come eat with us. Most families opt for the early seating. On our last cruise there were a number of children at the late seating. We, too, are late people, children included. You know your child better then anyone else. Will he be okay for the late seating, not cranky, ancy, etc. For me, late seating always works best, this way we aren't rushed. I hope this helped.
Happy cruising!!
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you'll find most families with kids go to the early seating. Even with the early seating, you are actually eating around 7:00, which even for us is on the late side.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Passenger

What about if we want to make it to the shows, I believe if we have late seating dinner will end around 10:30. Which I believe when camp carnival is closed. Of course we can always pay for the late babysitting, but I don't want to do that, if I can avoid it. Is this correct?

Old April 30th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Gianna S.

Default Re: Re: Late or Early

Tina-
They offer 2 time slots for the shows. On formal night anyway. From 10 pm on you have to pay for babysitting. They call it a pajamma party. I guess you answered your own question, if you want to do the shows and etc, then you should opt for early seating.
Happy cruising!!!!!!!!!
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM
BMK

Tina- Usually if you have late seating dinner your show will be before dinner at 7pm. The late seating is a great idea and my preference, if you know that your son will go to kids club and you are willing to feed him at the buffet or room service prior to camp. As you mentioned camp will go to 10pm so if you donot want to pay for pj party then just go get him and have him join you for dessert. You will definitely not be done before 10. I have two kids 5 and 10 and this worked great for us on our last cruise. Actually, my 10 year old ate with us most nights because there were older kids at our table. Also, a couple of nights we wanted to eat as a family so we opted for informal dining. Lastly, we did tip the waiter as if the kids were wth us for all the meals, we didn't think he should be penalized for our decision. Plus he was great!!
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Thank you, that was the info I was looking for!!! Thanks a million!

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too prefer the late seating even with children. Otherwise you are too rushed getting back from port or from the pool, and I found that after the early seating is over, there is a lag of around two hours for some of the shows to begin, and we ended up going back to the room and retiring for the night, rather than going back out again.

Most ships have a show scheduled for BEFORE the late seating that the kids attend with you. If your child can't wait till 8:30 for dinner, go up the the buffet area around 6 for a light snack to hold him.

Old May 6th, 2004, 07:58 AM
CF

Like it was said before, it all depends on your child. My son would never be able to do a late sitting without falling asleep in his soup.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

We do the late seating as well with the kids. I don't like to be rushed leaving the pool area or port to eat. My kids are 9 and 13 and on weekends they stay up till all hours anyways. We don't follow any time restrictions of ships. We eat and sleep when we feel like it.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005