Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:52 PM
dawnet

Default HELP PLEASE !!! 1st time for 2 families of five...

We have kids ranging from 8 to 16(six kids in all). Which ships - cruiselines would be most appropriate for our kids, and keep them happy and busy (eg. kids/teen program etc.). We've narrowed it down to RCCI, Celebrity or Carnival but need to fit five in a cabin or arrange rooms most economically. Who could accommodate us best??? We're sailing on March spring break (either 25 or 26th) for 7 nites. Also should we book flights separately after booking the cruise, or all together?
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: HELP PLEASE !!! 1st time for 2 families of five...

Hi Dawn,
I'd look into one of the family suits on one of the Royal Caribbean Voyager class ships. These ships are designed for cruising with kids/families, with lots of activities for everyone and a great kids program. These larger family cabins do fill up quickly, so have a travel agent see whats available, best of luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to glamour1030

I was recently on a Celebrity ship. I'm 14 and had the time of my life. There are activities for the younger ones all day and there is a hang out for the teenagers. You'll have a great time no matter what line you choose, but I strongly recommend Celebrity.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:04 AM
Admiral

avoid Carnival during spring break- the ships will be crowded with college spring breakers with one thing in mind - PARTY, PARTY, PARTY.
I would look into the Grand Class Ships of Princess, and the Voyager Class Ships of Royal Caribbean - both very family oriented with great kids & teen programs and lots of things to do for all ages. Both lines do have the family suites, but they book up really fast. Instead of booking two cabins for 5 people ( 1 outside 1-inside) we found that it was cheaper to book a mini-suite- plenty of room for 5.
One big plus with Princess is that the pools are all freshwater, and that the pools and hot tubs are open 24 hrs (except for a short while in the wee hours of the morning for cleaning) , this was great for the kids and the adults.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Passenger

I prefer rci over princess for teens -- voyager class ships are starting to keep their pools open later . Your kids are going to have a great time no matter which ship/line you choose.

I wouldnt look at facilities that much -- some of the newer ships have great facilities for kids -- ie. teen centers -- that often are empty -- any line is going to have lots of kids over spring break. My kids prefer rci over celebrity -- not sure why -- they also like norwegian, which i see u didnt mention.

All cruise lines have an age policy now -- pretty hard for someone under 21 to book a cruise without an adult -- so i think the problem with college age and spring breakers is going to be handledd well by the cruise line.

I would prefer booking 2 rooms vs. a suite if the price were right -- 4 per cabin gets crowded if you have even one teenage girl. Usually you can get a cabin for not much more than the 3rd and 4th rate . I am not sure, there arent too many lines that offer cabins for 5 --- youre kids arent so young that I think you need to stuff everyone in one cabin , and everyone will have a much better time .

I have cruised with my 5 kids several times -- and frankly i'd rather take an inside than have to share with them again -- Couple times I did balcony for myself and inside for kids ( was nice to have one room like this )

I always book my air separately -- and sometimes pick the cruise I take based on what might be the best airfare -- watch the prices, the flight times that look good pre and post cruise sell out fast.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Yeoman

My son, his wife and 7 month old booked the family suite on RCI EOS. The suite was large and slept 6 people. With a party of 5, I would highly recommend a suite.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Luisa

I agree that RCI has an excellent youth and teen program. The Voyager class ships are great for teens and the teen facilities on Mariner class are the largest at sea.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor