Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Passenger

Default Stupid hair braiding questions

We're headed to Jamaica on Wednesday, and I'm thinking maybe I can solve a mini-problem we have while there....my 2 year old has ringlet hair, pretty short, and she twirls it. Cute, yes, but 2 days in a row we've had to actually CUT the knots out. You can see her hair is a LOT shorter where the knots were.

So, I'm thinking, you know how they braid kids' hair and put the little beads in it? Hmmm... that might do the trick, break the habit.... But would it be uncomfortable for her? Would she be able to sleep in it? Am I going to be able to get the braids out easily? How long do you keep those braids in?

Has anyone here done this? I really have no idea what I'm talking about here, it just seems like a possible way to get her to QUIT TWIRLING!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:06 PM
Rubysky

Default Re: Stupid hair braiding questions

Then she will have a braid to twirl. I did braid my hair once like that. It felt like laying my head on ropes at night. Took them out so I could sleep. Maybe you can try braiding it yourself and see how well it works. I really don't know why everyone is so gungho to have their hair braided on the islands. It is a no brainer thing that anyone can do.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:06 PM
LiDdLe CrUiSeR

ive had it done.. im 14 and it took about an hour and a half for my whole head.. i got it done in jamaica also.. and i have very curly hair.. i kept mine in for a week although they were very hard to take out - not uncomfortable at all to me at least.. it was much easier to take care of my hair that week tho !! =)
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:16 PM
Passenger

I have been with my niece twice while she had her hair braided, she is older though (was 10 and 13 at the time), and it took a long time. Her hair is thick and long, so short hair would obviously take less time. She did say it hurt a bit (pulled tight), and the last time she said it wasn't as bad as the first.

The two things I can think of are: (1) getting a sunburn on her scalp, and (2) not being able to sit still long enough to finish, and ending up with half a head braided.

I think you can leave them in for a couple of weeks.

HTH, and have fun!

ps
I recognize you from the pp boards, we ended up with a southern caribbean cruise with our free airline tickets, maybe someday we'll make it to Hawaii.......

take care,

tracy

Royal Caribbean ~~Serenade of Seas~~
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Luisa

My daughter has been getting braids since she was 4 years old and always sat nicely for them. You can either get just the corn rows on the top of the head (makes it easier to sleep at night), or get the corn rows along with individual braids on the back of your head. My daughter is 10 and still loves getting them -- she keeps them in for about 3 weeks and they remind her of our fun trip!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
cruiseprincess0162

I have done them on both my cruises and they dont hurt me at all. I trickI learned from my last cruise is go into the shower get your hair went and put conditioner on them. Works like a charm and are very easy to get out.
Good luck and have fun!
Jenna