Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:34 PM
cthrn

Default w. carrib & vaccines???

health department is suggesting vaccines for the kids before we visit Belize, Cozumel. Isla Roatan and Grand Cayman. Anyone else have to do this? Anyone not done it and had a problem? thanks so much for the help
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: w. carrib & vaccines???

We just went in April and our kids didn't need any special vaccines. They're 10, 12 & 16 if this helps. What are they suggesting vaccines for?
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:24 PM
kernfam01

What kind of vaccines are they suggesting? Is there something other than the normal ones they are given that I should be aware of ? What I mean is, if my kids vaccinations are all up to date, is there something else they need, that is not included in the "routine shots"? Thanks!
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

they recommended a hepatitis A and were going to check to see if there is anything else... at the time I didn't think to ask if our eating/drinking/swimming would have any affect on the need...........

Old June 19th, 2004, 03:58 PM
debp

My son was just in for his physical and the doctor recommended both Hep A and Hep B vaccines for trips to the Caribbean. He also said that most colleges require these vaccines for admission as well so we went ahead with them even though I am not a big fan of all the vaccines today.
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

My Dr recommends Hep A Vac for anybody cruising anywhere. Look at it like this
you have over 2000 people on the ship and have staff from all over the World.
Some countries have diseases that the US has wipeout, and even if the staff member
is vac and I dont think the ship can make them get vac it is better to get the Hep A vac.
Myself (38 yrs old) and my 6 yr DD got it and had no side effects at all- and we both usually have side effects. My Dr says the Hep A vac. is the most mildest vac. around
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:55 AM
Passenger

The Hep A vaccine would more due to the sanitation procedures in less developed countries. Hep A is usually transmitted through improper food handling from an infected person (i.e., cook, waitress) or through contaminated water. The Hep A vaccine is not a lifetime vaccine such as Hep B is. Depending on how long between trips, you might need to be vaccinated again.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hep A.. of course.. highly recommended.. Twinrix.. (hep A and hep B) is broadly promoted for travel.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:37 AM
Yeoman

I think the hep vaccines are a good idea. A few shots can prevent a lot of damage later on! I got hep b series while working with kids as it was highly recommended. My son started his series the day he was born as many schools require it now. The hep b is a series of 3 shots. I believe you have to wait 30 days after the first round for the 2nd and then 60 days after that for the 3rd round. It's supposed to be good for life, but it's my understanding that some people don't take to it and sometimes require more rounds. The nurse that gave me the shots had this problem and said that usually if a person doesn't take to it, it means that their body already is immune to hep b. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal