Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default motion sickness in toddlers?

hi there,
i am going on the dawn next month w/my 16 mo old and i am wondering how many people have actually had a problem w/seasickness and their children? he has never had a problem w/motion sickness far as i can tell, but then again he has never been on a boat/ship. any suggestions on what to bring? and also, he is small so it is not like he will be able to tell me he feels sick, i won't know until it is happening! i am praying for calm waters and no problems. i usually bring dramamine and only had to use it once or twice, but i am thinking of buying bonine instead for the adults.
thanks,
gina
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: motion sickness in toddlers?

I just used Bonine this last trip and it worked great. It also comes in chewables for children. I got it at WalMart. I would check with your pediatrician to see if you can use it for a toddler. The other thing I have heard works but I've never tried it is ginger. You can buy it in candy form, or give him some gingerale. Hope this helps.

Darcy
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Does he get car sick? If yes, he will likely get motion sick on a ship. If not, he will likely have no problem on the ship. One ounce of prevention might be to try Sea Bands (buy them same place as you get the Bonine or Dramamine). They come in child size, are non medication. My daughter tells my granddaughter that they are "her majic bands to keep her from feeling bad". I think the psycological effect is as effective as the physical effect . And, they work.
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Passenger

thanks for the advice!! hopefully he will be ok, but i def want to be prepared.
gina
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:45 AM
Admiral

nothing wrong with being prepared. If he gets car sick when traveling then i would ask your pediatrican if he can take children's Bonine. If he doesn't get car sick, then i wouldn't really worry about it. You might want to give him some ginger ale or gingersnap type cookies when the ship starts to move, just in case, and keeping something in the stomach is an old sailors trick to prevent motion sickness, crackers,chips, bread, rolls, works really well.
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:32 AM
Passenger

yes, thank goodness he doesn't get carsick, but i am def going to bring an arsenal just in case
gina