Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Mel Poblocki

Default second parent permission letter

My daughter is a single mom and needs to get her ex-husbands permission to sail out of the US. Is there some kind of a form letter we can use as a reference to create a document for execution? I don't want it to appear as an agreement which requires a lawyers approval, but I'm sure some basic acknowledgments need to be part of it. What have other's done in simular situations? Is there a standard letter we can use? Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:23 PM
stuff&things

Default Re: second parent permission letter

From everything I have read, it needs to include the dates of travel, the ports of call, and the non-travelling parent's permission for said child, (name here), to travel with custodial or non-custodial or joint custodial parent, (name here). It should also be notarized. Yo may want to check cruisecritic.com. I have seen some links to sites that have the forms a person can use - no lawyers required.

Given all that, I have also heard it depends on which cruise line you are taking. I have sole custody of my kids and was told by some board posters that I would need a letter as well. I asked Royal Caribbean and they said no I wouldn't. I didn't want any problems, so I got their passports, brought along my custody papers, my marriage certificate (to my new husband), driver's license, and divorce decree. I was as prepared as I could be short of a letter from my ex because he would not have done it nor did I want to alert him I would not be at my house. (Messy situation). I was never asked for anything. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe the ports we visited didn't require that. My children's last names are different than mine.

Old June 27th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Mel Poblocki

We are sailing Princess Cruiseline, and the pre-cruise documents state they require the letter but they don't give any information on content. I called them, and the representative couldn't help much on the wording of the document. She did say there should be a reference to granting emergency medical treatment administered outside the US, in the document as well.
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Passenger

My son's letter reads something like this:

I, (their name here), mother/father to (child's name here) born (child's bd here) certify that I give permission for my child to travel internationally with (insert your name here). Further, I authorize (insert your name here) to sign on my behalf for any medical treatments that may be necessary.

(signed)

Then have it notarized.

Cristin

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Passenger

The parent taking the child out of the country must have a notarized letter from the second parent stating that parent A has permission to take child(ren) on (cruiseline) to travel to (destination(s) from (dates of trip). Both parents must sign the letter. Also bring along a copy of your divorce decree with custodial rights listed. Being a parent of the child, you will not need permission to seek medical treatment. If parent is remarried, bring a copy of new marriage certificate due to different last name.
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Admiral

we had to sign the letter also, eventhough we are married and were taking our son with us on the trip. Our TA included the form letter with our cruise documents. It didn't need to be notarized because both parents were traveling together. Ask your TA if they have some sort of form letter for you to sign.
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Mel Poblocki

I'm not going through a TA and therefore I won't have their expertise available to me. If packerpatriot's letter was acceptable, I will model my daughter's after it. There is no problem on our end getting it executed. I was affraid that the port athority or the cruiseline, could get technical on us, if not worded properly at embarkation.
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM
lisabrooke1130

We got this letter, as required by Princess, signed for each of our children (we share custody of each of our respective kids) and notarized. Upon check-in, we were never even asked for it!! Seems a little silly to have the policy and then not enforce it. We never had any issues, but I guess it is good to have it "just in case".
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I don't think they care how the letter is worded as long as it contains the name of your child, date of birth, travel dates and where you are going and have the other parent sign it and have his or her signature notarized. Sometimes I've been asked for the letter when traveling and other times not. I think it depends on who is checking you in.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Passenger

You don't have to have the travel dates. In fact I deliberately leave them off because we travel so much and therefore don't want to have to keep getting the letter. This way once its done you don't need to get it again. I've never had a problem using it without the dates.
Cristin

Old June 29th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Admiral

I think it really *does* depend on who is checking documents at boarding.

I traveled alone with my son in January and it never came up. I am not divorced, but still, you would think if it were a cut and dried issue *somone* would have asked if I had the other parents' permission to take him out of the country.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Mel Poblocki

I guess they just spot check or are updated on Amber alerts.. If you give them a reason to investigate or look nervous, they may single you out and ask for the documentation..
Old July 5th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: second parent permission letter

We use the childcare authorization form at www.legaldocs.com Just click on free docs. Fill out all the pertinent information, print it out and have it notarized. It's worked fine for us twice.
Old July 5th, 2004, 05:46 AM
First Mate

I had to get a notarized letter from my ex-husband giving me permission to take my son out of the country. I typed the letter myself and it read something like:

I, EX HUSBANDS NAME ,ADDRESS ,DATE OF BIRTH give permission to my ex wife, MY NAME, ADDRESS AND DATE OF BIRTH permission to take our minor son ,SONS NAME, ADDRESS, DATE OF BIRTH on vacation aboard Carnival Cruise Ship Inspiration on leaving 8/15/04. I understand that the ship will be making stops at various ports and I also give my son permission to leave the ship to participate in on shore activities and tours. "

He took it to his bank and signed it and had the notary stamp it.
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Luisa

Here's a link for a form you can print out. I use it all the time:
www.familytravelforum.com/permissionletter.html

Best,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Mel Poblocki

Luisa;

I would imagine if you substitute the cruiseline's name in place of airline/flight #, it would be acceptable. I also noticed there were no references to medical issues as brought up by another poster. Is there a separate letter to address this? I suppose it could be added to the content as well.
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Mel, the medical treatment letter is only an issue if someone other than a parent is taking the child on vacation- grandparent, going with the family of a friend things like that.
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Mel Poblocki

Great to know that! I thought it seemed peculiar to ask the cruising parent to provide a medical statement from the non-cruising parent. She doesn't need one for stateside emergencies. Glad you cleared that up, thanks.