Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Default swim diapers (no, its not another "no swim diapers allo

hi there
i am going on the Dawn in a couple of weeks and i have a question regarding swim diapers. i have been there done that on the topic of non-potty trained kids in the pool and i am not even going to go there what i actually was wondering from mommies/daddies that have gone cruising w/toddlers. how many swim diapers did you pack? my son is 16 mo old and i never even put one on him before. i bought one pack of 10 so far. i plan to use them in port at the beaches and possibly one hotel (if we go). how many do you normally go through? we will be in port 4 days and i plan to mostly go to the beaches.
thanks,
gina
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: swim diapers (no, its not another "no swim diapers

hmmm never really thought about it actually. I plan a fresh pair like i do diapers, put a fresh one on just before he goes into the water, check it periodically-(you know him best) and plan accordingly.
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:33 AM
First Mate

I would figure it out this way. How many diapers normally does your child use in a day? Figure out what percentage of the day you plan on being in/near water and plan accordingly. We will have a child who will be almost 2 on the Carnival Spirit in December. We have planned on taking 2 packages of swim diapers for the 8 day cruise. Hope that helps.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Yeoman

I didn't use a swim diaper at a beach. If they pee in the water so what , many do. As for the other, I could tell when that's about to happen,and on the sand i just put a regular diaper on.
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Yeoman

I have a 2 yr old son. When traveling, I figure at least 2 swim diapers for each day that he might go swimming. However, my son has never gone #2 while swimming, and lately only goes #1 on a rare occasion. With a 16 mos old, I would maybe plan on 3 or 4 for each day you might go to the beach. It also depends on how long you will be staying at the beach, and much fluids he will take in (a lot and he'll be #1ing a lot). At the beach, I wouldnt worry too much about #1, and most swim diapers that fit snug will hold in #2. On that note, if your son is borderline sizes, Id go with a smaller size for the snugness. Dont foget the sunscreen and hat too! Have you seen the sunsuits? We boat, go to the beach and outdoor pools a lot and love them. They're like a wetsuit made out of lycra and cover all but the lower arms and legs. I tend to by them bigger since theyre not cheap and gives my son a chance to grow into it. One Step Ahead carries them, as well as reusable swim diapers (some in cute patterns, but then you have to wash it out every time-not practical on vacation). And you might want to bring along some small beach toys (bucket, shovel). My son was in heaven playing with his on the beach in Cozumel!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Passenger

thanks for all the replies! i have one pack, so maybe i will just purchase a second just in case. i do have the one of the kind you wash out, but i think that won't be practical, incase he does #2. i doubt he will b/c he usually particular about that and will only go at home. but you never know
Alison, thanks for the advice. i have seen those suits, but i debated on whether to get it. i know they offer good spf coverage. i already have some bathing suits, but i am going to take a look at them as well.
thanks again,
gina
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Yeoman

Kevinsmommy, I got those sunsuits at a childrens consignment shop CHEAP, they grow out of them so fast ( and I have THREE kids) that the ones I found were in decent shape!They even have the matching little hats that have a strip of material that hangs down the back( sort of like the " Foriegn Legion" hats) so the backs of their necks are protected as they sit in the sand for hours.
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Passenger

thanks, i just ordered one from sunfriendly products.com, it was 26.99 not cheap. but i figured i would see what it is like and if i don't like it i will return it. i have seen those hats as well. he is not great wearing hats, but we are working on it. i have several of the bucket kind. i know he has to wear one, so i have a variety. thanks, for the help