Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Me again...

Default Anyone have suggestion for lightweight stroller?

I am definately taking a stroller. I do not want to take an umbrella stroller because mine doesn't have an sun shade and doesn't recline. If it doesn't keep them out of the sun and they can't nap in it, what's the point? ! Plus, I do have a larger, very nice stroller, but I think it is too big to take w/ us. It is pretty bulky and heavy. So anyway, what I am looking for is a nice lightweight stroller, with a sunshade, basket, and that reclines. Oh and of course, I don't want to pay a lot for it. My kids will be 4 and almost 2 and this will primarily be for the younger one. We need it for the airport, shore excursions, and possibly on the ship. I saw a nice lightweight one on the Walmart site for approx $40, but it is available only online. Hard for me to buy it unless I have more info on it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM
godfredo

Default Re: Anyone have suggestion for lightweight stroller?

i hear you on the stroller thing-we just purchased a combi travel savvy stroller online at babyage.com for $43 with shipping-it only weighs 11 pounds and fold up to no more than 10 inches wide-definitely a LOT smaller and lighter than our huge honkin one!!!! we saw a combi travel stroller at babies r us for $100 and couldnt' justify paying that much for a travel type stroller so i decided to go online and see if i could fine a combi one cheaper and voila we did! it will hold up to 45 lbs. the basket underneath is not very big and it reclines i believe 140 degrees-enough so that your child or baby can sleep comfortably. i put my little guy (10 months) in it last nite and it will work perfect! hope this helps!
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Noelle

I have a Combi and I love it! I bought mine a year ago for when we travel and fly. It has a carrying strap so that when it is folded I can just carry it over my sholder, it is so light and fits anywhere. Also it is very comfortable for my daughter, even now and she is two and a half.

Noelle
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Me again...

Wow! Thanks! I actually asked this same question on the other board and got the exact same suggestion! That sounds perfect. One more question though. My kids are both pretty tall for their age. How is the back rest? Is it pretty "tall"? A lot of strollers, we try them and I swear their head is almost above the top. I think I may take a trip to babies/toys r us and try it out. If we do I'll just buy it online. Any other suggestions?
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:06 PM
godfredo

Default Re: Re: Anyone have suggestion for lightweight stroller?

i'll get mine out and measure it for you!
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Noelle

My daughter is tall, 90th percentile for height, and she is 2 1/2 and it is more than tall enough for her. I don't think it would be a problem.

Noelle
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Me again...

Well I got my new stroller today! YAY!!!

I went to BRU, and looked at the chicco travel savvy. I thought it looked like a doll stroller, but was very compact and loved the carring strap. I thought is was too small for my boys. They are both very tall. Plus the weight limit was only 35 lbs. My kids weigh 37 lbs and 23 lbs. So didn't get this one.

I checked out the Combi Tuscany. I LOVED this stroller, however, no tray or bar in the front. My little one bends over forward and tries to touch the ground if there is no tray. I really liked this one though, the weight limit was much higher, and the tray on my current stroller would work on it (sort of) so I put it in the cart.

Well, guess what I found on clearance, right around the corner? A Peg Perrego stroller. It was on clearance for $110, reg price $269!!! IN THE BOX!! It weighs 13 lbs, and a foot bar on the back for my older one to ride on, reclines, has a 45 lb weight limit and folds compact like an umbrella stroller. It has a nice comfy wide, highback seat, and even my 3yo can nap in it if he wants. PERFECT for what I was looking for!! A little more than I planned on spending, but I couldn't pass it up!

I just couldn't justify spending $$ on a stroller that probably neither one of them can use a year from now, when I could spend $30 more and get this stroller! I can actually use this as an everyday stroller, where the other ones, I probably would have never used, other than vacation. We are all set! Thanks all for the advice!
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Me again...

OOPS, Wanted to edit to add, the strollers I looked at were the Combi travel savvy, and the chicco tuscany. I mixed up the brand names in my previous post.
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Admiral

When my Grandaughter was just over 2 she was taken to Disney because my daughter was at a conference there. They travelled with a Cosco stroller (see Walmart.com ). Very light weight, sturdier than it appears, has hood for shade and a very large basket underneath. It outperformed her expensive Perago strollers and for about 18 months was the stroller of choice. Only about $20 to $25. Only stopped using it when it was outgrown. Not a typical umbrella stroller but just as handy , very light and compact and very affordable.
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Noelle

Glad you found one you liked. My Combi (I am not sure which model I got) had a small bar with cupholder on the front and it also has speakers in the canopy that you can hook into a walkman and they can listen to music. I did look at the Perego's though too and if I had more than one child I would've gone with that as well. Great bargain!

Noelle
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Buy Buy Baby has the Combi Travel Savvy stroller for $29. I just bought one for my cruise in August. Canopy shade, basket, reclines, weighs 11 lbs and folds 10" thin. Have Fun!!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:37 AM
jplain

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I must share. I LOVE the new Chicco Tuscany. It is perfect for travel if you want something more than a Cosco umbrella stroller. Babies R Us carries it, so definitely check it out. At $80 it is very similar to the much pricier Maclaren Triumph, but I think it is even better. Note, the weight limit printed on the box is 37 pounds, not 33 as BRU advertises.

: ) Carolyn
Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Beginner

May I ask...which Peg Perego stroller did you get? I have the Pliko Matic, and I'm wondering if it will be the appropriate size??