Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Poll - How do you keep your sanity on a family reunion cruis

I'm researching group cruise experiences for family reunions, and was wondering if anybody had any tips for us introverts who can't handle more than a small dose of big family gatherings.

Some of the ideas I have already:
* Set some "ground rules," like everyone gets at least 3 hours a day of "me time," and everyone has to agree to be responsible for enjoying themselves. That way, no one gets hurt feelings if Aunt Martha prefers to read a book in her cabin instead of playing bingo with the rest of the family, and cousin Terry doesn't go insane trying to make sure everyone is having a good time.

* Ask for at least 2 separate tables next to each other in the dining room, instead of one big one, so that you can have a kids table.

* Have a door-decorating contest.

What else? Please share your ideas and experience.
Thanks!

Post Edited (07-14-04 18:30)

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Poll - How do you keep your sanity on a family reunion c

What's nice is that everyone will have their own cabin to retreat to when needed. YOu can always put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door when you need a break! If you have kids, you'll have to get them to bed earlier than the adults, thus you'll have some alone time once their asleep too. I go to my husband's annual family reunion and like to retreat to our condo unit at night for some down time....
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:31 PM
First Mate

I guess I must be an introvert too, rather than setting 3 hrs of down time, I'd say set gathering times and activities and those who show great and those who don't no worries.

A kid's table might not be such a good idea, depending on the kids, other diners won't appreciate it if they get rowdy and there's no adult paying attention to keep thnings down. Several near-by tables is nice.

Have fun.

Margie
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:11 PM
joto

Default Re: Re: Poll - How do you keep your sanity on a family reuni

Depending on what the various members of the family's interests are maybe get them to choose from 3 or 4 different things per day (choose one) to do as a group or most of a group and those that didn't want to do any of those things, just hang out and do their own thing. Then nobody would feel they are forced into doing some activity that they did not really want to do. You could then all meet up for dinner and discuss what activities you did that day. A 3 hour (or more) escape time sounds great for those that want it. I wish we could do that at family Christmases.
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Admiral

I am organizaing a family reunion cruise for February 2006. A lot of these folks have never cruised before. My plan is to have a couple of get togethers during the week and possible meet up with them at dinner. Other than that, everyone is on their own. Afterall it is their vacation too. I'll make that clear before we sail and I hope it works out for the best.
Hey, how about a scavenger hunt. I think that would be a lot of fun. Let us know how it goes.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our family has taken many trips together and the one big thing for us is to acknowledge ahead of time we are not joined at the hip. We talk/email ahead about what things we want to do together and what things we will do separately. This year we have ages from 70 to 10 and there is no way I (70) would try to keep up with DGD (10).

I think if you are honest ahead of time about needing private, quiet time, evryone can have a great time.
Norma