Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:51 PM
rnking

Default single mom cruising w/ 5 yr old

Can anyone mom/dad who cruised as a single parent share their experience. I'm cruising on Norwegian Dawn 9/26. Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Dad Son team

Default Re: single mom cruising w/ 5 yr old

I have done 2 cruises with my 7yo in the last year, and have another coming up the end of August. I think it is really a nice way to vacation since you have the flexibility to have the kids program at your disposal. I am able to do "adult" activities after dinner every night, if I choose, without having to worry about what to do with him. I will advise you to take some time during the week to make sure that the little one doesn't have a melt down from exhaustion towards the end of the cruise. I made that mistake the first time. Also, try to get a table in the dining room that has other kids about your chids age. My first cruise with him, Disney, we sat with a great family. He had someone to talk with as did I. The next cruise, RCCL, there was only 1 older couple and us and while we still enjoyed it, it made it harder for him to stay occupied. Remember, dinner is 1 1/2-2 hours in the dining room. That's a long time for a little one.
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM
rnking

Default Re: Re: single mom cruising w/ 5 yr old

thanks so much
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Luisa

I recently wrote an article on the family section of this site called "Single Parent Cruising." Why don't you check it out? Click on the family section from the home page and scroll down on the main page of the families section to find the article.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Shannan

Hi!
I am a single mom taking 6 yr. old 9/5 on Carnival. She has been on other cruises, but always with more of my family. This will be the first one with her and I. I will let you know how it goes. I definitely want to try to find someone her age to eat dinner with. You can ask the maitre d the first night and they will move you if there are other single parents traveling. The camp is wonderful for the kids. I am planning on spending the day time with her at the pools or in port, then she is excited about spending the evenings in the camp. The kids do get tired though, late nights, early mornings, so it is important to take a time out with the kids and let them catch up, or they will burn out by the end of the cruise!
Have a great time!
Shannan
Old August 15th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Luisa

Hi Shannon and rnking:
I'm interested in hearing how your cruises went after you return. Please let us know.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:47 PM
ILuvCruisin

I've cruised with my son as a single mom since he was 6 and he's now 19. We have enjoyed all of them. I always made certain they had enough kids his age for him to enjoy the programs. We ususally did not have to worry about that on Carnival or of course Disney. But other lines you really should check. My son never wanted to hang with me. I had to make him get off the ship and spend some time with his Mom. Sometimes they will even take them on shore excursions for you. We always requested a large table and early dining. That way there's more of a chance to get a family with children seated with you. If not you can indeed try to get a change. Please feel free to contact me and we can talk more if you have other questions.

Happy sailing. and remember with cruising you both can have fun with "kids" your own age!!!!
Old September 19th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Passenger

I had difficulty geting through customs at the airport in England. I was traveling alone with my 18 month old daughter. I Didn't have a notorized letter from her father stating I had permission to take her out of the country. After sa long hold up I was admitted.

If you travel alond bring a death certificate, full physical/legal custody papers, or a notarized letter stating you have permission to travel. I would not want anyone else to go through that same stressful period I did.

Happy cruising,
Julie

Old September 19th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Beginner

I cruised onn the Dawn last year with my five year old and it was the best so far. The kids have thier own eating area and they love it. The kids program and the babysitting are great and it gave me time to meet all the pretty single moms lol. We are going to try RCCI this year out of Maryland because we want a longer cruise and they have a 9 day .