Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Me again...

Default Do you take life jackets for your kids?

My kids will be 2 and 4. From what I understand life jackets are not allowed off the ship. I am concerned about the tender rides, and the excursions that we will be on boats, and frankly just beach time. My kids have never been near the ocean b4, and we all know how quickly they can get away. So my question is, does anyone else bring life jackets? I plan to, but I am just wondering if I will be the only over protective mommy strappin these things on my babies, !! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Do you take life jackets for your kids?

I took one for my 2 yr old. We always had our kids wear one when they were little ... Why not take one, we were shocked in Hawaii to see toddlers in the surf being practically knocked over by waves and wearing no life jackets.Why would you care what others think, they are YOUR kids, your precious babies, you do what you want. They don't really need them in the tenders though, it is hot, and the tenders are HUGE, but you will take them for the beach so you will at least have them handy.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Yeoman

Ive always brought my sons life jacket along. The first year the one the ship provided was an infants lifejacket like ours, but last year it was one of those big bulky orange life jackets that no way could my 2 yr old swim in! I never tried to get them off the ship though. The only time we use it is if he goes into the ocean. Our son can swim a lap+ in a pool on his own, but I would never put him in open water without one. Im never more than an arms length away either. We havent needed to use it on the tender, but I am very cautious with him on board and we sit away from the sides. I havent done any excursions with him either, but I would take our life jacket if going on a boat trip (ie snorkeling, tour, etc) as you dont know what they have on board (ie bulky ones that you cant move in, nasty looking, etc). Someone suggested getting a snorkel vest to bring instead of a life jacket since it takes up less room, but I dont know how well that will keep your childs head above the waves. Bottom line: best to bring your own if you have one, and if not, you can get one at Walmart for $20 or less. If you have a boat store, they have a better selection. Better yet check out the online stores (www.boatersworld.com , www.westmarine.com) as sometimes you get free shipping and no tax! Ebay had some has well. We also bring along a small bucket and shovel for our son to use in the sand!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SarahVic Send a message via MSN to SarahVic

Take your own life jackets! We were contemplating taking ours for our 3 and 6 year olds, even though both can swim. We ended up taking them and were glad we did. It's a big, wide ocean, and they can get into trouble faster than you can blink!

Smile! It just feels good.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:30 PM
brillohead

For a day at the beach or pool, I'm partial to my 4yo son's Body Glove floatsuit. It's made out of a wetsuit-like material and covers his upper arms and upper legs and complete torso w/ SPF50, plus it makes him float like a cork. :o) His movement isn't restricted and he loves wearing his "muscle suit" b/c it makes him look like Superman (it's red and blue).
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Yeoman

We always bring ours along and my kids are 5 and 10. Last year in Costa Maya we had brought 4 of them to the beach and we passed them around as the kids were "surfing" Got alot of "I should bring ours next time". Definately bring them.
Anne

Caribbean Princess