Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Passenger

Default Neonatologist

No. I am an educator. With multiple births on the rise, we are seeing more premature births and side effects from it. We have to be educated on the development of children and also the type of delays that occur when a child is born prematurely. Thirty two weeks is a benchmark of development. A child born prior to that can experience serious complications and delays. As a mom of twins who was bedridden for 10 weeks, I did a lot of reading and research on the development as well. It was frightening and gave me a new understanding for what the parents of some of my students go through.

In addition to that I do have experience dealing with parents who blame themselves for the delays their children incur because of premature birth. It's heartbreaking to hear a mother wonder if it was something she did that caused her child to be born early. The trauma of going home without your child/children is lasting. There is a greater concern for preemies developing RSV, a severe respiratory illness. Do you realize that some of these babies have to be almost housebound for the first 12 months of life to prevent these respiratory infections? I commend this mom for taking her children on a cruise. It's a big step for her. That's evident by her post.

Like I said before I hope none of you ever experience a child being born prematurely or suffering a catastrophic injury or illness. If you don't believe me, do some research and offer this poor woman your support rather than your judgement. Parenting isn't a competitive sport.
Old March 5th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Reen

Default Re: 3 year old twins not potty trained

My twins were born early! I don't need a education on that subject. I am not judging anyone here! Happy Cruising!
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Reen you asked a question. So sorry you felt compelled to read beyond the first 2 sentences that I answered it in. It's great that you don't need any more info on the subject of twins and preemies. My twins are almost 10 and I'm still learning! I went on because I felt I needed to clarify my point and qualifying it with my experience. From the combative nature of many of the posts I 've read on this board, I thought maybe you were questioning that. Maybe if you didn't get any new info out of it, someone who flamed the poor girl who was just looking to go on a nice vacation will.

Happy Cruising to you too!
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Passenger

Since most "normal term" births take place at 40 weeks(the end of 9months), twins born 3 months early would be born at 37 weeks, While twins may have other birth problems birth weight and Apgar Score should be taken into consideration.
Norma
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Default Norma

If normal birth is at 40 weeks how is it you figure 37 weeks is 3 months early? There are 4 weeks in a month which makes a child born 3 months early 3 (months) X 4 (weeks) = 12 weeks early. That would mean the child was born at 28 weeks.

The average gestation for twins is thirty six weeks.